Using Audacity 1.3

Miked Amp -> Shure SM57 -> ART Tube MP -> Sound Card Line in (Audigy 2 Value)

On the Preamp the output is at 12:00 and input it at 3:00

It sounds very thin no bass response there's a bit of clipping too but because I have my levels too high.

Hear for yourself:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/mikebasta/test.mp3

Update - Moved the mic around still crap:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/mikebasta/test2.mp3

Update - LOL I fixed it MUCH better now:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/mikebasta/test3.mp3
Last edited by ixelion at Oct 6, 2007,
try rearranging the mic to get a little more bass and lower the volume to stop clipping.
in editing you can also do a compressor to even out the volume and a little EQing to boost bass.

On axis amp micing should give a little more bass but since there is no real set guide on micing amps theres not much anyone can really suggest other than try different mic positions yourself until you find a spot that sounds good.
Ok I'm gonna try this.

However when comparing the recorded sound to the real amp sound it's like night and day.

It's like playing the guitar through a telephone.

It sounds nothing like the real amp sound.
Through my headphones I though the bass was OK. I would worry more about the noise level, there's some real 50/60 cycle hum going on there, the clipping and the tone as such which I didn't really like. Bottom line is this: whenever you record something it will never, repeat never, sound like what you hear in the room. (Binaural recording has tried to remedy that but I haven't heard anything to suggest it works especially well.) Simply put you "bypass" almost all the room acoustics when recording with a microphone and, naturally, it's not positioned anywhere near where your head is so it won't pick up what you hear. (Nor does a microphone have the kind of acoustic chambers that you happen to have in your head.) So either re-arrange the microphone until you get the sound you're after or alter the sound of the amp so that the recording sounds like you want. (That said I'm not a big fan of using generic soundcards for recording, they generally never have good AD conversion.)

On a related note, as a general rule you should have less bass for recording guitars than you think sounds good. One thing most guitar players, and instrumentalists in general, have a hard time grasping is that what sounds good in isolation rarely (if ever) sounds good in a band/song/mix situation. The sound that you love when you're rocking out all by your lonesome will eat up sonic space/frequencies in a band situation and muddy everything. Rule of thumb is that for overdriven guitars you can cut everything under 200-300Hz, thus leaving space for the bass and the kick (although they get most of their character in the high mids they have the "oomph" in the lower end).
real 50/60 cycle hum going on there, the clipping and the tone as such which I didn't really like. Bottom line is this: whenever you record something it will never, repeat never, sound like what you hear in the room.

Stuff like hum and clipping I can take care of I did not put a lot of time working on the levels I just plugged in to see what kind of tone I was getting.

I have to say that the tone is just terrible in the recording, I took me a long time to get my tone, which to me sounds great in real life, and I was hoping to capture that tone to a reasonable extent.

But let me tell you it's not even close, the sound is BAD just bad, I wasn't expecting perfect replication but something thats reasonably close.
Recording distortion always causes a bit of a problem with the result. In the past it's been known for people to double up the distorted piece with an acoustic playing the same thing, works ok for chords, not too sure about picking lines.

Have a go at over-emphasising through the amp the tones that you think are missing when it's recorded.

If you backed what you have there with drums and bass it wouldn't sound too bad, but yeah, also try moving the mic around a bit, maybe not dead straight on to the cone.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
What about those amp modeling devices would those get me better results?

EDIT

I tried moving the mic around still sounds like trash.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/mikebasta/test2.mp3

I am considering one of those Line 6 tone ports, thoughts?

EDIT

Thanks guys I fixed it I just panned on left one right now it's kick butt woot.

SO Does this mean I need to microphones to get this sound otherwise I would have to rerecord everything I do in different mic positions.
Last edited by ixelion at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by ixelion
What about those amp modeling devices would those get me better results?

Better is very subjective so that's something you have to figure out for yourself. What you will get is easier recording. You won't have to worry about not getting what you hear recorded properly, as a result of mics/preamps/conversion/whatever, because what you hear really is what you get. There's also the added versatility of amp modeling. And you can get some great sounds in the middle of the night without risking eviction. Cons would be responsiveness. It isn't quite the same feel as going full blast through an amp and sustain is obviously limited.

Here are three tracks, all KISS covers but bear with me, that I've done over the past year or so. Not a single amp in sight, all guitars and the bass are through amp sims. (And two of the songs have parts that really were recorded in the middle of the night with people sleeping in the next room.) You might not like all these tones but there's no denying the versatility.

Dirty livin'
I'll fight hell to hold you
Mainline
Quote by BrianApocalypse
^ That's very good quality.

Thanks. Experience counts. That and knowing when to quit!!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
As for the 3rd clip, that sounds fine.

I agree, the 3rd clip sounds bassier. Still not crazy about the tone as such but that's not the issue. Now all you have to do is double track your guitars well and you're on your way to decent recordings.