i changed the strings on my SG today and after changing them i found i had a dead fret on the high e string. whenever i played the 19th fret it sounds like i'm playing the 20th fret. now i now this problem wasn't there before i changed the strings, i used the same guage strings, and i didn't change anything else on the guitar. after finding this problem i played around with the truss rod thinking it would do something, but the dead fret is still there, and my action isn't low at all right now. i've also had this problem before and had the same frets filed already. did i do something wrong when adjusting the truss rod and that's why it was ineffective? is there anything else i can do?

thanks
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
It sounds like you have some problems with an unstable neck. If you have properly adjusted the truss-rod the only thing I can think of is maybe you just have a counter-warp, which can only be addressed (if you are lucky) by a heated neck press. Check and make sure the fingerboard isn't raised or loose.
How long ago did you change the strings? The neck might just need some time to settle.
about an hour ago i'd say, but none of my other guitars have this problem, and when this happened to my SG in the past, the frets stayed dead until i got them filed.

Quote by uldhppi
If you have properly adjusted the truss-rod

i said i played around with the truss rod, i don't know what properly adjusting might be because this is the first time i ever amounted to messing around with the truss rod. i read http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.php then did what it said there, but it didn't seem to help.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Oct 6, 2007,
first of all, rule out a bad or kinked string.

second, if you took off all the strings, the neck might have relaxed a little.

and third, sometimes strings need to settle, like said.

if you want to know how your neck is sitting then fret the first and last fret on the low E,
look at the middle frets, if the string is laying on the fretwire there then, you'll need more bend.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i did take off all of the strings to clean the neck

and no the string isn't laying on the fretwire
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

no, the string is perfectly smooth

it's the same frets that were dead the last time this happened, but once i got it filed it played fine, i even changed the strings after getting it filed and it still played fine. now i'm going to go with what jenny said and assume the neck relaxed because i took off all of the strings. i do i fix this?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

well, if it's not laying on the fretwire, then it maybe have relaxed but not that much.

how far from the wire is it?

if it's less than the thickness of a credit card, you can adjust the neck for a little more bend.

it's a 1/8" turn counter clockwise, a very small amount, after you detune a little.
dont force the turn, and let the guitar sit an hour before retuning and remeasuring.

measuring is the Low E held at the first fret and the last fret, where the neck and body meet
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

it was a bit thinner than a credit card so i did what you said. now i'll wait the hour and if the fret still sounds wrong i just repeat the process?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

yeah, you can do that, it wont hurt anything. as long as you keep checking the angle ull be fine.

it's also possible that, that fret is just going to be a pain and should be pulled or redressed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

alright, i'll try your method and if it still doesn't work i'll bring it to the local shop and they'll take care of it.

thanks jenny and and everyone else who helped
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction