So I don't do much transposing of songs to different keys, but I was for some reason thinking about how to do it. What I figured is you take the one key, figure out what degree each note is of that key, and copy those degrees to the new key. Is that right? For example, say I was playing in D major. Those are the 1,3,7, and 2 degrees of that key. So if I wanted to transpose that to A major, would I play A, C#, G#, and B? Since those are the corrosponding degrees.
Oops, I meant to mention that I was playing D, F#, C#, and E in D major. I guess I forgot to put it.
Yeah, you use the same scale degrees, it's just different notes.


C major=

G major=

C major riff-

Same riff transposed in G major-
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
You're doing it right. The whole principle behind transposition is that every note is moved up or down the same amount. If you were transposing from G to B, you would shift every note as if you were going from G to B -- you would raise every note by a major third (or four semitones), or lower it by a minor sixth if you were transposing down.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
its quite simple to alter the key of an entire song if it is bar chords..... you just play the same pattern in a different place on the neck.
so long as you know where your roots are... you have your key.

you have more of a problem getting your head around open chords though.