I have an SG already, but down the road i was thinking about Buying an Ibanez S series for the Whammy bar, and maby putting in EMG's to get a more Metal sound than my SG can (Id use it for early metal, Rock and Blues) so what S Series guitar in your oppinion is the best?(obvioulsy excluding Pickups) I dont want to spend a whole lot of cash on it either. Thanks
Depends. I think the early 90s are amazing. There is something about the playability, construction, and sound I can't put a finger on. The thin bodies are awesome too. Todays aren't bad, but the ZRs have the downside of being a bit more difficult to fix then an Edge trem. I also don't think they play as great or have the same quality of the early ones.
I'd definately cough the cash for a Prestige just for the overall quality and awesome finishes they have. The swirled ebony one really looks snazzy. Maybe you personally might not want to get a prestige for financial reasons and seeing as you said you wanna swap the pickups anyway.

Maybe a 470 or 620 if you dont wanna go prestige
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
The S prestige will be the best, but cost alot of $$$. An S320 is only $500, might be ur best bet. Alot of the S series guitars are similar, with the ZR trem and the same body shape. so its rly a matter of how much ur willing to spend.
Quote by qotsa1998
The S prestige will be the best, but cost alot of $$$. An S320 is only $500, might be ur best bet. Alot of the S series guitars are similar, with the ZR trem and the same body shape. so its rly a matter of how much ur willing to spend.

Just looked up that 320, looks pretty sweet. anyone ever own it? is it reliable(And what did the guy meen when he said a ZR isnt as easy to fix? do they break alot or something )

And those prestige ones look horrible imo. i couldnt find a swirl ebony one on the Ibanez site, just some wierd Natural Finishes. so if anyone could link me to a better looking one, thatd be great cuz they do look like a nice guitar, just ugly
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Oct 6, 2007,
I would advise you if you have never owned them to play a guitar with EMG's before you decide to put them in your guitar. There is a lot of difference between the sound of active and passive pickups.
i like the SZ series. The 720 to be precise. But it doesn't havea tremolo
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Even if you liked an S Prestige, it's a total waste of money, you're paying an extra $600 for a figured top and better pickups. And since you're going to put new pickups in anyway, there's no point.

The good Sabers are those with a Lo-Pro Edge, and ZR. The original ones (the ones before they had the ZR) have a much thinner body and a thinner neck. They were made with Lo-Pros and Lo-trs'. The Lo-trs is crap, so don't get one that has that, if you go used.
Quote by which ones pink
Even if you liked an S Prestige, it's a total waste of money, you're paying an extra $600 for a figured top and better pickups. And since you're going to put new pickups in anyway, there's no point.

The good Sabers are those with a Lo-Pro Edge, and ZR. The original ones (the ones before they had the ZR) have a much thinner body and a thinner neck. They were made with Lo-Pros and Lo-trs'. The Lo-trs is crap, so don't get one that has that, if you go used.

Sabers? What do you meen, is that what the S in S Series stands for? sorry, i dont know much about Ibanez. and isnt the ZR better then a Lo-pro? if i remember correctly werent they used in Budget Ibanez guitars originally
S320 if you want new. I just bought one, it's bang for the buck. Very good guitar for the money.
Quote by Op3a
S320 if you want new. I just bought one, it's bang for the buck. Very good guitar for the money.

ZR stay in tune nicely? and what kinda stuff do you play on it?
Quote by Tubyboulin
Sabers? What do you meen, is that what the S in S Series stands for? sorry, i dont know much about Ibanez. and isnt the ZR better then a Lo-pro? if i remember correctly werent they used in Budget Ibanez guitars originally

Yes, S series=Sabers. The ZR and the Lo-pro are both top-notch trems, neither is better than the other, but they have different feels to them. In fact, the ZR feels different from any other trem.

And it was the Lo-trs that was the first budget Ibanez locking trem, the Lo-pro is vastly superior, despite the similar name.
Quote by which ones pink
Yes, S series=Sabers. The ZR and the Lo-pro are both top-notch trems, neither is better than the other, but they have different feels to them. In fact, the ZR feels different from any other trem.

And it was the Lo-trs that was the first budget Ibanez locking trem, the Lo-pro is vastly superior, despite the similar name.

Alrighty, thanks. I suppose i had better try em both, expecially if the ZR feels so much different, then again ive never really been able to play a guitar with a trem other than a crappy strat knockoff my friend had.
Right, so i found a pretty nice looking Ibanez S470 on Ebay and its at 122$ now, my friend says i should go for it, and i think it looks like its in good condition, think i should go for it?