i've got a cheap acoustic nylon strings guitar and i like more the steel strings' sound, so i'm thinking i changing them.

i know i can string them but is the brisge and neck going to hold up the extra pressure of the steel strings.

i rather ask fist, it's a cheap guitar but i don't want it to break.

thanks in advance, bye
i dont kno if the lower 3 tuning pegs will fit em. and yea, truss rod adjustments will need to be made by a tech i think.
you can't put steel strings on a classical guitar the neck will warp and the top will be pulled off
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I did this once before(its okay it was just a junker of a classical guitar i found at a friends house), it pulled the saddle off the body with all the new tension from the steel strings.

I would say leave it as it is. Honestly a regular steel string guitar is going to be different in other ways. If you are looking to play a steel string acoustic then you should wait till you can get one.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by rbusta
i've got a cheap acoustic nylon strings guitar and i like more the steel strings' sound, so i'm thinking i changing them.

i know i can string them but is the brisge and neck going to hold up the extra pressure of the steel strings.

i rather ask fist, it's a cheap guitar but i don't want it to break.

thanks in advance, bye

Quite often, especially with cheaper end classicals (not to say that expensive models are immune to this in any way), people bring them into shops with broken tuning mechanisms, bridges torn clean off, or even totally detached headstocks after switching the nylon strings for steel strings.

Your guitar is not designed for the extra tension of steel strings. Do not try it.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Ibanez20th
It Will Not Work.

You Will Destroy The Guitar.

yep. +1
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
allright then, i wont do it, thank you all for this, it was very quick

bye
Ive seen crappy classical guitars have their bridges ripped of by normal nylon strings... Theres no way they can stand up to steel strings for long.
I mean your average set of steel strings have a tension of somewhere around 75kg (160lbs)
Nylons have something like half that amount of tension