Ok so I have this problem, I won a VOX amp 100 watt don't know the exact model and it's presets aren't very good.

I've tried messing around on manual but unless i'm playing a clean setting the chords just drown all the other sounds out, for example I play a C then I was to pick the 3 top strings after strumming the chord, you can hear the chord but the pickin gis just drowned out and it's so annoying because I end up playing everything on clean, which I don't want because were a rock band! :P

So i'm looking for a distortion pedal that doens't just overpower everything else I play at the same time.
Boss DS1
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
BOSS DS-1, DS-2, HM-2, HM-3

EHX Big Muff, Metal Muff, English Muff'N

also, check out the DigiTech ones
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Quote by cherub_rocker07
BOSS DS-1, DS-2, HM-2, HM-3

EHX Big Muff, Metal Muff, English Muff'N

also, check out the DigiTech ones

+1

Please note; with good equipment it can take AGES to get the best tones out of.

I know this sounds contradictive, but it's just how it works.
I have a DS-1, and i like it. U should at least try out a Big Muff and a Metal Muff. For metal, Boss's MetalZone and MetalCore pedals are good. Digitech has a Death Metal distortion, if u want heavy, thats ur pedal.
...presets

Just learn to use your amp instead of expecting everything to be done for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks, i'm going to go into town tomorrow so i'll take a look, at metal muff and Boss DS1, the line 6 pod looks like a beat, a bit out of my price range though.
Quote by qotsa1998
I have a DS-1, and i like it. U should at least try out a Big Muff and a Metal Muff. For metal, Boss's MetalZone and MetalCore pedals are good. Digitech has a Death Metal distortion, if u want heavy, thats ur pedal.

the Boss Metal Distortion Pedals are declining in quality, the Metal Zone & Metal Core are pretty weak, and the DigiTech Death Metal is too raspy for my taste

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
Quote by steven seagull
...presets

Woah, I didn't say I used just the presets, you have to pick a preset, then go to manual to mess around, i've tried messing on manual with every preset, like I said unless its on a clean setting it's no good
Quote by steven seagull
...presets

Is it just me or are ALL presets ****ing rubbish? On amps/pedals everything?!

Actually on my RP350 there were about 3 good ones out of 75, since then I've managed to get **** loads of good sounds of my own.

I hate presets...
Quote by cherub_rocker07
the Boss Metal Distortion Pedals are declining in quality, the Metal Zone & Metal Core are pretty weak, and the DigiTech Death Metal is too raspy for my taste

I have a Death Metal on my RP350 and it is ****ing **** - one of the worst things on there actually, maybe it's just a bad "version" but the metal zone is 100x better.
yeah, i played the Death Metal, cause it was in the same signal path as the Screamin' Blues, and i was killing time

it sounded like a choking demon

worthy of the 'death' yes, the 'metal', not so much

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
Boss Metalzone - one of the worst pedals known to man...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by cherub_rocker07
yeah, i played the Death Metal, cause it was in the same signal path as the Screamin' Blues, and i was killing time

it sounded like a choking demon

worthy of the 'death' yes, the 'metal', not so much

Are you talking about on the RP350 or the actual Death metal pedal?

Cause it really sucks a **** on the RP350, where as the metal zone is wayyyy better for anything hardrock/metal.
Quote by steven seagull
Boss Metalzone - one of the worst pedals known to man...

I actually find it passable (on my RP350) with my strat and hot-rod.. I don't primarily play metal before I get flamed!

Once you move past the 7th fret it sounds like turd though.

Is the metal muff a much bigger improvement? I've only heard/seen good things from it.
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by Jackolas
I actually find it passable (on my RP350) with my strat and hot-rod.. I don't primarily play metal before I get flamed!

Once you move past the 7th fret it sounds like turd though.

Is the metal muff a much bigger improvement? I've only heard/seen good things from it.

Don't really know, I just usually turn my amp up, or boost it with an OD pedal if i need more gain. The Metal Zone is jst god awful, thin, weedy and way too distorted...it manages to be both ear-gratingly bright and sludgy at the same time. By all accounts the Muff is a much better pedal, but can still tend towards the fuzzy side of things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

At the risk of ticking somebody off I have to say that its kind of a proverb on UG (with some folks) "Don't buy pedals with the word metal in the name." And I hate Digitech. I can explain more if I survive the flaming.
Quote by uldhppi
At the risk of ticking somebody off I have to say that its kind of a proverb on UG (with some folks) "Don't buy pedals with the word metal in the name." And I hate Digitech. I can explain more if I survive the flaming.

Go for it.

(I like my RP350 though)...
Ok. The Digitech sound sterile and digital. They kill the natural dynamic range of the guitar. The lower-end Digitech products like to break at the wrong times (I've owned a couple, what a waste.) All the metal pedals I have heard (have not heard them all by any means) sounded buzzy and sharp. Might have not set the EQ's right, but I wasn't impressed. I would check out an OCD or the regular Big Muff PI.
Don't really know, I just usually turn my amp up, or boost it with an OD pedal if i need more gain. The Metal Zone is jst god awful, thin, weedy and way too distorted...it manages to be both ear-gratingly bright and sludgy at the same time. By all accounts the Muff is a much better pedal, but can still tend towards the fuzzy side of things.
why does every1 say the metalzone sucks? i have 1 and it is good, not thin not weedy and not way too distorted. it works perfectly! seriously tell me why ppl think there so bad when mine works great?
Well you just may have the right combination of guitar, amp and style that optimizes the sound of the pedal. Its known to happen. I have played gear that many others dislike and gotten some good sounds.
Boss Blues Driver. Transparent and responds to your picking. Most of the pedals mentioned in this thread aren't/doesn't.
Quote by Nogert
So i'm looking for a distortion pedal that doens't just overpower everything else I play at the same time.

Pro Co Rat
MXR Distortion+
Ibanez Tube Screamer (though it's technically an overdrive)
Crowther Hot Cake
Marshall Shredmaster, Jackhammer or Guv'ner
Jenkell & Hyde (I forget the maker)
Maybe a Boss DS-1

NOT anything with "metal" in the title. They have there place, but from the sounds of things, they're not what you are after. And I understand completely what uldhppi means.
Ibanez Talman (w/ P-90s) & Fender Jaguar (w/Phat Cats)>Tu-2>RAT2>GE7>Phase 90>Volume>RE-20 Space Echo>Behringer A/B box>Vox AC30 CCH>Marshall 1960 cab

http://profile.myspace.com/secondtempo
Last edited by JayJayE at Oct 9, 2007,
The Marshall Guv'nor is a great distortion box.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Boss DS1

I absolutely agree. This was the first pedal I ever bought, and I love it. My other guitarist actually still has it at his house now cause he wanted to use it. It's really worth the price ($50).
Get off my lawn.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
I absolutely agree. This was the first pedal I ever bought, and I love it. My other guitarist actually still has it at his house now cause he wanted to use it. It's really worth the price ($50).
I never actually got around to using it, LOL.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

yea i got a BOSS ds-1 off ebay, u can find real good pedals there for a really cheap price
Quote by Sanctus Ignis
I never actually got around to using it, LOL.

Well, we used it on the bass guitar for a recording. The DS-1 really is a good buy though.
Get off my lawn.
boss ds-1 distortion or the boss ml-2 metal core pedal
if you want to have a solo boost, the ibanez ts9 is boost and overdrive
just a few suggestions
A lot of the pedals mentioned in this thread are good, certainly if you're on a tight budget the DS-1 can't be beat. As far as the "Things with 'Metal' in their names" goes, I haven't played any of the ones mentioned enough to say anything except that the Death Metal is a piece of muddy, boomy crap. The one thing no one mentioned, though, was the Line 6 Uber Metal. I have one, and through an already metal-sounding amp like a 6505, it's just obnoxious and buzzy, but through the clean channel on a Vox or similar (I have a VR30) the Pulverize mode warms up beautifully, and you can get some of the best Randy Rhoads and Metallica tones I've heard for under $500.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows