Page 1 of 3
Well, I'm searching for a very versatile guitar, because i play many styles, from metal to blues-rock, clean rythms, soft-rock, pop-rock and so. I own a Squier Strat SSS, and I will need something more metal, but still versatile axe. I am eyeing with the Fender Lite Ash Telecaster, because it's not too pricy, and the finish and the birdseye maple neck are beutiful. I know that it isn't a metal machine, so i'm considering changing the bridge pickup to some SD or Dimarzio (tought of SD JB Jr or Dimarzio Tone Zone but don't have experience). Would it make this guitar good for metal? And I'll still have the neck single coil for those Fendery cleans right?

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0265102521

And i have a hard time choosing the color too, I like the natural finish, but the black one is also appealing to me. Thanks for the responses.
The guy from Sipknot used to use a telecaster and he just looked silly. I think theres much more versatile guitars out there that are just as good/if not better than that telecaster. Try a superstrat with a H/S/H or H/S/S pickup combination.
i've never seen a h/s/h strat oh you mean rgs but yeah rgs for metal
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
the john 5 telecaster would do it
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by kaossurge
I would never even consider ANY FENDER for metal....

then you sir, are an idiot
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
jari maenpaa from wintersun plays a tele. but he's a straight badass so he can play w/e he wants
The guys from Slipknot looked silly to me anyways.
I agree with danielrobbyshor.
It's pretty sweet.
Originally posted by TheBaron
I'm thinking you've got a beard...

Originally posted by Thornography
Okay well I want whiter teeth... and I would like to know if rubbing sandpaper on your teeth is safe or not.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
then you sir, are an idiot

No... I'm not an idiot at all...

If were going to be calling names here... you sir are an ignorant fool.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and in my opinion Fender is a terrible brand for metal.
Fender's have a unique tone that many love, but not those that play the genre of metal.
How many times have you heard someone say " I need a really nice metal tone, i think im going to get a Fender."

I respect your opinion, but there's no need to be an a**hole about this.
Quote by kaossurge

I'm entitled to my opinion, and in my opinion Fender is a terrible brand for metal.
Fender's have a unique tone that many love, but not those that play the genre of metal.
How many times have you heard someone say " I need a really nice metal tone, i think im going to get a Fender."

and theres no need for you to get on your bloody high horse.

play a fat strat and tell me that'd be completely useless for metal.
Quote by david_highland

Quote by Grundy0
tbh, play what you want for what you want, if it sounds awful so be it
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Quote by VLVTRVOLVR13

exactly

kaossurge, i believe you just got owned
Quote by david_highland

Quote by Grundy0
Telecasters can sound wicked for metal, you just got to have the right amp for it though.
Something loud with good gain. It also depends what kind of metal you want to play.
Any type of core probabley wouldn't sound to great with a tele.
try a '72 telecaster deluxe, it's an extremely versatile guitar.
it's by no means a metal guitar, but it's as close as you will come with a telecaster
it has humbuckers that are pretty high output, but it cleans up really well and you can do pretty much anything with it
Do it. It would be interesting. Bring a significantly brighter sound to the metal table. The telecaster is a VERY nice and versatile guitar and I believe it's more than capable of metal in both SS and HS configurations, with the latter more suitable if you don't like annoying hum.
It'd be nice to get the thought of a "metal guitar" expanded to more than just the Ibanez Jackson Shreadmaster FY239847298734.7. Telecasters can do metal and a whole lot more.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
i find that the amp matters more than the guitar in a situation like this.

be different. use a tele for metal, you should be fine.
threads are the one thing iron maiden can never kill
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Epic, three posts at the same time.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
The guy for Slipknot and Stone Sour, James Root, uses a tele and it sounds sick with EMG pick-ups. That is the best way to get a more modern metal sound out of a tele if you like the more modern "nu-metal" sound. Plus it doesn't matter what guitar you play, if you enjoy the sound you make, who gives a s**t what anyone else thinks.
the john 5 tele's, or the jim root's (guy from slipknot) tele's, jims are dead sexy
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by zapatista89

lawl
Quote by kaossurge

How many times have you heard someone say "I need a NICE metal tone"?

I like the cyclones for metal and they are great for jazz too.

Unfortunatly they are discontinued, but check ebay
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
Quote by stebbic
this is a death metal band that uses a telecaster http://youtube.com/watch?v=lbtD_gIEaUA

they sound like crap this would make me not want a fender
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Quote by oscar7557
they sound like crap this would make me not want a fender

I didn't say that they sounded good :P xD i don´t like them just the first thing that came to mind when i heard Metal and Telecaster.
my friends lite ash(with 0.8 gauge strings) is extremely twangy and isnt the best choice for playing metal

you probably wanna check out other teles like the custom HH with the flamed maple top which can do metal better than the lite ash
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
i personally love the sound of my tele cranked up with heavy distortion. i believe they can work for heavy rock, if not metal.
Quote by zapatista89

and they can never kill eddie, he just keeps coming back.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
i use a 1972 telecaster deluxe which has 2 hum buckers and it sounds good to me for metal
Like people say with any guitar, it's doable with some modifications, but why spend all the time and money when there already guitars designed for the purpose. If you need a versatile guitar that does metal, there are so many guitars that can do this right out of the factory.

Are you just doing this for the sake of saying "look at me I'm using a guitar for a genre it wasn't designed for" or are there actually traits unique to a telecaster that you absolutely need for your purposes.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
A Telecaster can play metal with zero modifications. Telecasters can play any genre with ease.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Page 1 of 3