Okay, I did a search, and didn't find any Prophesy-specific threads, so I started this one . . .

My friend just sent me an e-mail, telling me about his Engl E460 (discontinued) and his Prophecy II preamps, raving about their tone, and their capacity for full-overdrive metal sounds. He prefers the Engl, but that model is no longer available. Anyway, he ended up recommending the Rocktron Prophesy II.

After multiple threads started here, asking about various preamps for metal sounds (Recto, PSA-1.1, JMP-1, etc.), I've never heard of the Prophesy until now (I think one guy actually did mention it in one thread, but I didn't know exactly what he was talking about). When he plays with his band, he runs them through a MosValve 160-Watt power amp, into either a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 stereo cabinet. He said, in side-by-side tests when recording, the built-in, cab-sim in the Prophesy II came very close to the sound of his real cab set-up.

But he most often uses his Prophecy II as a direct-recording preamp, which is what I plan to do. Just wondered if others here, who have tried the Prophecy II, agree, that it's the best preamp out there (aside from the Engl) for getting grinding metal sounds for both leads and rhythms.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Now, I'm reading conflicting reviews at Harmony Central. "Prophecy II is the best metal preamp ever!" "VooDu Valve is way better for metal than Prophecy II." So, what's the difference between the two Rocktron units?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 6, 2007,
I would prefer a Mesa Triaxis. It doesn't have the effects but it's a Mesa ****ing Boogie
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio