Hey,

Me and a friend of mine had a discussion about success in music in any form. My opinion was that with enough ambition and a clear goal you'll eventually have a good chance to get where you want to be. One of my points was that I know how many people are trying the same thing as me but I don't let myself being demotivated by reality, as I think that's one of the worst things that could happen.
I believe you should give the very best you can and not let yourself being demotivated by reality. This doesn't mean you must be ignorant! I think you have to have goal and try to achieve that goal no matter what.

I bet no band nowadays get anywhere without a LOT of ambition, a proper goal and the will.

She on the other hand, thinks that you don't need a goal to get anywhere. She says it's all about luck in life, which of course I don't deny. But if you got a higher goal than people that think like her I think you will achieve more. She thinks a way to high success is to let things happen the way they are, that you musn't count on a lot of success because everyone thinks like that. She thinks in this case you have to see to things in an objective way, not in a subjective way.

I feel a lot of ambition, a straight goal and the will to get there eventually will grant you more success than looking at reality too much and getting demotivated by that, or atleast that's what I'm afraid of.

To make clear, I don't think you should be ignorant and forget reality, but most of all I think you should have a goal that you are willing to achieve rather than having no goal at all.

Discuss...

(And please no answers like "what are you talking about, playing music is all about having fun", which ofcourse is true, but this thread is about success in music and how to achieve that)
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
success in music is when your bass player gets a 300 watt tube ampeg and can rattle the whole house when the volume is on 2
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
A bit of a combination. Even if your music is amazing, you're talented, and you've got some soul behind it, you're not going anywhere if the record label scout doesn't come to the club when you're playing.
Quote by s/ash
success in music is when your bass player gets a 300 watt tube ampeg and can rattle the whole house when the volume is on 2

Trewth, its here
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Both...

With goals you have a better chance to take advantage of the chances(luck) you get.
epic7734
NONE! just play some heavy metal riffs and go to Japan!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by epic7734
Both...

With goals you have a better chance to take advantage of the chances(luck) you get.

+1

You can write great songs and distribute them out to people, but they need to be the right people at the right time. Just like all those successful country songs that popped out of 9/11. (Not to bash country music.)
Quote by backtothe70s
NONE! just play some heavy metal riffs and go to Japan!

you know there are bands that suck @$$ over there and like both guitarist have signiture guitars and the bassitst aswell, its weird maybe your right
Quote by cokeisbetter
A bit of a combination. Even if your music is amazing, you're talented, and you've got some soul behind it, you're not going anywhere if the record label scout doesn't come to the club when you're playing.

+10
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.