I'm considering getting one of these guitars, either the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

or Deluxe Powerhouse Strat:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Powerhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510007

My style is blues, classic rock, and blues-rock, and I play a lot of Hendrix, Clapton, and Buddy Guy.

I haven't yet had the chance to try either guitar yet, but I hope to be able to soon. Has anyone tried them yet, or own them? If so, how do they sound and play? Also, are they worth the price? I'm looking for a SSS strat, and am willing to pay up to $650 or so.

I heard some people say the vintage noiseless pups on the Player's aren't too good, while others like them. And, I'm not too knowledgeable about all the specs and features of guitars, so I can't tell too much of a difference between them, besides the Player's 7-switch pup selector, and the Powerhouse's boost. Anyone know more about them?

Thanks.
The Powerhouse has active electronics that are notoriously unreliable. I'd go with the Deluxe Player, plus that Sapphire Blue is teh sex
Last edited by thewho65 at Oct 6, 2007,
Yeah, I was thinking more about buying the Deluxe Player, since I like the 7-switch pup selector, it should make it a bit more versatile. But with all the gold parts, and funky design, I'm hoping that I won't be paying that much for just the design, and not the playability of the guitar.
Ive played a deluxe players strat. It was nice, had a good quality neck, I would personally change the pickups though, the noisless ones arent hot enough for my taste.

The transparent blue... Omg the transparent blue.... so hot.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Ive played a deluxe players strat. It was nice, had a good quality neck, I would personally change the pickups though, the noisless ones arent hot enough for my taste.

The transparent blue... Omg the transparent blue.... so hot.

Like mine?

Yeah, I absolutely love my deluxe players. It handles everything you want very well and is even more versatile than a standard strat
Quote by Bling Dogg
Yeah, I was thinking more about buying the Deluxe Player, since I like the 7-switch pup selector, it should make it a bit more versatile. But with all the gold parts, and funky design, I'm hoping that I won't be paying that much for just the design, and not the playability of the guitar.

im very oppiononated on these guitars
in my views you are paying for a really pretty MIM standard strat
if i were you i would pick up a nice used american or try to get a highway one
-the neck felt cheap
-the vintage noiseless are very anemic soundind pups and the 7 way switch adds little xtra versatility
so ya anymore questions just hit me up
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
I personally love the vintage noiseless pups. I recently took my 1993 MIM strat with vintage noiseless to my buddies house who has 2 american made strats, and a few of us buddies came to the conclusion that mine sounded the best.

We played mine, a 1998 american standard, and a 2003 american standard, all through a Fender Deville amp.
2007 Deluxe Lone Star Strat
2004 Standard HSS Strat
1993 American Standard Strat

Peavey Classic 30 (The practice)
Mesa Lonestar Special (The gigger)
Quote by thewho65
The Powerhouse has active electronics that are notoriously unreliable. I'd go with the Deluxe Player, plus that Sapphire Blue is teh sex

Why do you say they're unreliable?

Anyways, I think I may actually get the Powerhouse. I've heard some people say the pickups on the Players are good, but I think I've heard more say they aren't. Of course that's all a matter of opinion, so I'll try them both to see what I think.

And I think the boost on the Powerhouse sounds more interesting than the 7 pickup selections on the Players. And I don't care for the design and overall look of the Players either (not that that is too important, but it's still a factor in my decision).

Another question: What's so good about having a guitar with a larger neck radius, like the Players that has a 12" neck? Easier to play?

Also, more suggestions will be welcome
The Deluxe Players is pretty lacklustre IMO. The trem is made of some kind of potmetal and sucks tuning up, the pickups are Fender Noiseless and therefore don't sound like real single coils, the finishes are purely cosmetic, I achieved the same pickup selection as on the Deluxe on my mexi using a single $1 switch and two solder joints, the neck isn't anything special..... At least on what I tried anyway,

And the 12" radius is easier to play quick on, but poorer for chording.

I recommend a Classic Player 50s or 60s instead. Both very highly specced guitars that play like beauties. The CP50s I used usurped an American Strat.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
While I agree whole with Mr Carrot above me^ The CP50s/60s (especially the 50s) is a SWEET choice, out of your choices I would say the Deluxe players then change the Pups for something better (IMO the noiseless are really not that good, I would prefer a semi-decent single any day)