hey everyone.
ive got a old squier that im rebuilding, and im at a dead end as to wat to do with the neck. ive repainted the body white, with a black pickguard, and white knobs, pickup covers etc. should i just sand back the neck and restain/varnish. if so, whats the best way to go about doin this?

thanks. any other advice or whatever would be appreciated
i'm doing the same, oddly enough with a squire as well...

My plan is to pretty much leave the neck as is. I'm not sure about your squire, but mine is made of composite, so stains wont work very well, you'll want a lacquer. Be sure to use very fine sandpaper (220 or higher) when sanding the neck, it doesnt take much. You'll want to apply a clear lacquer to the neck before painting it. After you get the color you want, look for a nitrocellulose lacquer and give a ton of coats (5-6). It takes a few days to completely dry out after the last coat, but afterwards it can be polished up as you see fit
oh cool. nah mines not composite its got a really nice grain so i just want to stain it or whatever. can anyone tell me what sorta stuff i should use to finish it? ive snaded it back.
^just clear coat it... do u need ur neck that thin?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Is the fretboard maple or rosewood? If it's maple, leave the neck and headstock plain. If it's rosewood, paint the headstock black.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
the fretboard is rosewood(i think, its a deep reddish brown). what do you mean by paint the headstock black? do u mean just the headstock?

thanks
Yup, just the headstock. Tape off the sides and the back of the neck, and spray some black paint.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

maybe get some Vintage Tint spray from Reranch and use that. make ur neck look kinda orange-ish. Look on some of the 70s strat necks (i think), i gives u that color. And paint the headstock black too.

Pics plz?
when you say just the headstock, do you just mean the top? where it syas fender or whatever.

cheers
Quote by qotsa1998
maybe get some Vintage Tint spray from Reranch and use that. make ur neck look kinda orange-ish. Look on some of the 70s strat necks (i think), i gives u that color. And paint the headstock black too.

Pics plz?

actually, if its just thin clear coat on it, it stains pretty damn fast. my '05 strat is like half way to vintage tint. and u know how those necks are so pale to start with.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
heres a pic of the guitar so far, just waitin on all the parts toarrive. i striped and repainted the body and pickguard, and am still deciding on what to do with the neck.
Attachments:
gat1.JPG
gat2.JPG
gat3.JPG
Last edited by head_strong at Oct 7, 2007,
i was wondering what people would rekon if i painted the hole neck, headstock and that black? would it slow down the playability of the neck with the paint finish? i was thinking that it would look prety sweet all black, as the body of the guitar is all white, with a black pickguard, chrome hardware, and all white knobs switchs pickup covers etc. oh and its a rosewood fret board. then i could try get a white fender decal and stick it on the head stock..man that would look sweet.

any one got any opinions on this?\
cheers
as long as you give the neck a few good lacquer clear coat afterwards it should retain a good play speed.
i remember when i first went to get a guitar... i wanted that exact finish on my strat copy :P

nice work i must say

but my strat copy is old and battered, and although its rubbish, i wouldnt change it or anything :P

i'd probably buy a squire and revamp it big time
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
All black necks look immensely sexy, except I'm not a fan of painted necks. But you could just scuff the back of the neck with steel wool to smooth it out a bit.

Don't do the decal, plain headstocks are sexy.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Remember to finish your neck so you don't wind up with "sticky neck" syndrome. My Peavy HP Signature just got a treatment of sanding.....sanding.....and more light sanding then about 5 coats of Carneuba (however you spell it) wax.

Chris
hmmm yeh i dont think ill paint the hole neck. maybe just the top of the headstock...any opinions in that?
Quote by head_strong
hmmm yeh i dont think ill paint the hole neck. maybe just the top of the headstock...any opinions in that?

How bout just oil it? I think it being matching would look better. Sometimes, less is more??

Just a thought.

Chris
yeh i was originally guna do that. its just that where the squier logo and that was is alot lighter than the rest due to the original sealant nor gettin absorbed there or something, and itl take a fair bit of sanding to get it all the same colour
Have you considered a tung oil finish on the back of the neck? you could still paint the headstock black.