hey guys i have a few questions about attenuators.

Do they work like they are suppost to?

Are they dangerous to me or the amp?

Are they worth the money?

what would be the difference between one like

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-SQUEEZER-ATTENUATOR-VOLUME-BOX-8-OHMS_W0QQitemZ270170647998QQihZ017QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.com/THD-Hot-Plate-hotplate-attenuator-8-ohm-power-brake_W0QQitemZ250173058063QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
^what do you mean "do they work like they are supposed to?"... cuz it's not an attenuator if they don't work as an attenuator.

they aren't dangerous to u or the amp. (in most cases.)

i have one. on some amps they are well worth the money. (ie. non-master volume amps)

get a weber mass. the "tubesqueezer" i never heard of, probably a power resistor type attenuator. Hot Plate is also a power resistor type. weber mass is a speaker motor attenuator, and they generally sound better when attenuated.

all attenuator lose tone to some extent though. some lose a lot, some lose a bit.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
so would it be worth it if the amp had a master volume, or would it not be worth it?
why don't u just state what amp you have?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if the amp has a master volume, you don't need an attenuator
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
^no, some amp give more saturation/tone from the poweramp than the preamp. some famous ones are Vox AC30s, and Marshall JCM800s. so i need to know what amp he has first.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^u won't need it. JSX gets the needed distortion from the preamp. crank the gain and the preamp volume, and use the master volume to attenuate.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^yea but it's not like marshall when you NEED to crank it to get any distortion.

i'm saying spending $50+ on an attenuator if i had a JSX i wouldn't.

and he'd need a high wattage attenuator for a JSX stack too. a good attenuator wouldn't be under $100. and if he goes cheap, it would sound worse than when u roll the master volume down.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^yeah it will but the point of an attenuator is to get power tube saturation on amps that don't have very much preamp gain, his amp has plenty of preamp gain, theres not too much of a point of having more gain.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by V12prowler
^yeah it will but the point of an attenuator is to get power tube saturation on amps that don't have very much preamp gain, his amp has plenty of preamp gain, theres not too much of a point of having more gain.

Quoted for truth. This is 100% correct. I think this is the most case on most amps except for Marshalls and most Mesa Boogies
i dont notice any difference with my webber, i was in a shop in glasgow and over heard a guy talking to the salesman and he was saying he has tried a few and they didnt work to him either, he reckons its playing loud that makes it sound better not just turning the volume up on the amp and having the attenuator cutting the volume to the speaker,
iv only tried it with a dsl401 and webber mass, iv seen on other sites people use the same gear and say they get good results so it might just be me