Yeah, so, Christmas is coming up (), and well, I'll most likely be getting a new bass. The problem is, there are so many things I want. What I really want is a Rickenbacker, but if that proves to be too much, I'll fall back on some type of Fender. With Fender, though, I'm torn between a Jazz and a Precision bass...

Now here's another problem. I could always snag a J/P bass off of eBay, and replace the pickups. I'm stuck between some sort of EMG and some sort of Seymour Duncan.

Your thoughts?
Getting a copy of ebay then replacing the pups is nowhere near as good as a proper one. Build quality matters as much, if not more than the pickups.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you can get by on your current bass, save the cash until you can afford what you really want.

I've quickly learned that taking small steps when upgrading your gear is a waste of money. You're better off holding off until you can go out and buy the bass you play in your dreams rather than buy two or three basses en route and spend more money than you need to.

If you're into modifying gear, eBay Fenders aren't half a bad idea though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Getting a copy of ebay then replacing the pups is nowhere near as good as a proper one. Build quality matters as much, if not more than the pickups.

Well, I'm thinking of something more than a copy. Maybe a standard MIM Fender.

If you can get by on your current bass, save the cash until you can afford what you really want.[/qoute]
I manage with my current bass, but if I ever end up doing any gigs (I'm a nub, sorta :P), I'd like something that is a better weight. Standing with my T-40 lasts only a few minutes. Curse you, Peavey, and your heavy bass! Other than that, I like the sound.

I've quickly learned that taking small steps when upgrading your gear is a waste of money. You're better off holding off until you can go out and buy the bass you play in your dreams rather than buy two or three basses en route and spend more money than you need to.

I agree. I'd rather spend more cash on something that'd last me. I'm basically just trying to find out if it would be better to go for a Rick or a J/P.
If you're into modifying gear, eBay Fenders aren't half a bad idea though.

Well, I've never modified anything before, but ya know, gotta start somewhere, eh?
Quote by ele1122
Well, I'm thinking of something more than a copy. Maybe a standard MIM Fender.

I manage with my current bass, but if I ever end up doing any gigs (I'm a nub, sorta :P), I'd like something that is a better weight. Standing with my T-40 lasts only a few minutes. Curse you, Peavey, and your heavy bass! Other than that, I like the sound.

I agree. I'd rather spend more cash on something that'd last me. I'm basically just trying to find out if it would be better to go for a Rick or a J/P.

Ah... the classic T-40. Heavy as ****.

I would get a wider strap for that beast, so you can still use it when you get your new bass, but it'll be more comfortable.

What kind of music do you play? A Rick is excellent, but it's got a very specific tone...
Quote by Charlatan_001
Ah... the classic T-40. Heavy as ****.

I would get a wider strap for that beast, so you can still use it when you get your new bass, but it'll be more comfortable.

What kind of music do you play? A Rick is excellent, but it's got a very specific tone...

Metal is my favorite genre, but I'm open to pretty much anything.

Edit: Right now I have a 3 inch nylon strap. I'd really appreciate any help in finding a new strap too.
This strap looks really cushy:
http://www.activebass.com/item--MF.361440

And I've heard this strap is pretty good:
http://www.activebass.com/item--EM.CSPBL

I think if you are able to get a Rick for Xmas, then you'd be set for life. It's got a great punchy tone that works great for metal and rock styles.

As for Fenders, I would personally go for an American Deluxe P-Bass, as it's got the split coil and a humbucker for extra tonal tastiness.
Quote by Charlatan_001
This strap looks really cushy:
http://www.activebass.com/item--MF.361440

And I've heard this strap is pretty good:
http://www.activebass.com/item--EM.CSPBL

I think if you are able to get a Rick for Xmas, then you'd be set for life. It's got a great punchy tone that works great for metal and rock styles.

As for Fenders, I would personally go for an American Deluxe P-Bass, as it's got the split coil and a humbucker for extra tonal tastiness.

I've looked at Deluxe P-Bass. My choice will probably fall between that and a Rick.

Also, that first strap looks quite epic.
You said you were looking at a MIM Fender, and the J/P split set-up. I'd go for this, if I were you.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201

I've got one in Chrome Red, it's a solid bass. The only problems I've found with it, is the jazz pick-up isn't as strong as the p-pick up is, so the Jazz gets drowned out quite often (recently I've been turning the jazz all the way off), and also, the gold annodized guard looks quite tacky, and it's a major pain in the butt to find a replacement guard for this bass.
Word of warning, I have heard the humbucker on the Deluxe P is vastly underpowered when compared to the P.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Word of warning, I have heard the humbucker on the Deluxe P is vastly underpowered when compared to the P.

Are you referring to the single-coil on the Deluxe P or the HB on the Am-Deluxe?

Also, to the TS, I was referring to the American Deluxe P, not the Deluxe one. Since your price range seems to be up there anyway...
Quote by Charlatan_001
Are you referring to the single-coil on the Deluxe P or the HB on the Am-Deluxe?

Also, to the TS, I was referring to the American Deluxe P, not the Deluxe one. Since your price range seems to be up there anyway...

Humbucker. Though I believe it's a problem that is present accross Fenders P/J and P/H range.
Quote by BlueShox
You said you were looking at a MIM Fender, and the J/P split set-up. I'd go for this, if I were you.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201

I've got one in Chrome Red, it's a solid bass. The only problems I've found with it, is the jazz pick-up isn't as strong as the p-pick up is, so the Jazz gets drowned out quite often (recently I've been turning the jazz all the way off), and also, the gold annodized guard looks quite tacky, and it's a major pain in the butt to find a replacement guard for this bass.

Actually, good sir, when I said I was looking for a MIM Fender, I meant one that I could snatch off of eBay and replace the pickups. Such as a standard J or P. I'd rather go with something that would last me a long time, then cheaper stuff. Thanks anyway.
i cut my teeth on a T-40, now i can lift a refridgerator with one arm..lol. they are heavy as hell, but a decent bass. if you like Rick's, the Jazz is the bass for you. i like the P, it's just not my style. i also don't buy into the J/P config. they do fine for an intermediate bass, but they lack the full effect of the Jazz, or the P. imo it's not the best of both worlds, it is half of each world. the Rickenbacker is by far the best built production bass available, and i love them. but their tone is very midrange biased.
a Rick build with a Jazz sound would probably change the bass world, forever!
....next thread.
Rickenbacker modified to a P/J config.