well i did post this in another forum, but i think that people here could help too so here goes...

ok so i just realized that my fingers naturally have really odd alternating patterns....for instance i always lead off with my middle finger, but after that my fingers just go off on there own, for instane sometimes my middle finger will go twice, now the thing is i dont notice this unless i focus on my right hand. ive tried to correct this but its damn hard to do.
eg.
1 = index, 2 = middle
while playing 3 frets in a row i end up with this:

so my question is will this hurt me in the long run if my fingers alternate in odd patterns?
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
yea i guess thats a little confusing...i was referring to playing bass with alternating fingers (middle and index) while playing.

Oh, ha, bass. I get it now. I don't play bass, so I actually am not sure about your question, but I assume that as long as you're in time and can control those fingers (as in not playing sloppy or unwanted notes) then it's fine. As I said, though, I'm definatly not a bassist. I can't do the finger picking. =P
Ah, well as a classical guitarist I would say yes, not alternating your fingers properly will definitEly hurt your playing. I would recommend just getting some slow patterns that you can do on all strings like:

1234 <--- Do this one day. Just play it very very slowly, making sure that your hand position is right and that you are alternating all your fingers properly. Start on the bottom E do it once, go to the A do it once and so on until you get to the G string(har har har). Then start again go Gstring do it once, D string do it once, etc, until you get back to the E string.

Wash rince repeat as many times as necessary...

thanks for the reply...i forgot to mention that this only happens with odd intervals...most common playing 3 frets over and over again...