i need some help choosing an EQ pedal. i think i really need one for several reasons:

1. as a noise gate
2. as a mid boosting unit (similar to eric clapton's active mid boost on his guitar)
3. as a gain boosting unit (similar to an overdrive)
4. as a volume boosting unit

currently i am looking at both the MXR EQs (the 6 band and the 10 band). firstly, do you think an EQ could satisfy all the criteria above and which EQ would you recommend? i noticed that the 6 band EQ doesnt have a volume slider..so im assuming this one cant be used as a volume boost? ah last thing, are these MXR pedals true bypass?

also dont recommend me the boss GE-7.
Last edited by Sun-burst at Oct 7, 2007,
it will (maybe) sort of work as a sound gate. it'll work as a mid boost. it'll work as a volume boost, even if there is no volume slider (all you would have to do then is slide all the bands up). i doubt it'll work very well as a gain boost (eg. you would have to boost the volume so much that it would boost the gain but you sound would be ****). personally, i have distortion and eq seperate. also, why not eq-7? i have it and it works very well.
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
well im not sure if the mxrs are true bypass, but they are pretty sweet eqs. get the ten band, basically so you have more versatility. i doubt they can be used as a noise gate, but maybe you could use them to turn down the gain to reduce hum.
Sigs are too hard to think up
^ yes, i know it wont be the greatest noise gate but i want it to reduce some noise. im not looking at a strong gain boost, maybe just a little push of gain. but for the 6 band, how much of a volume boost will there be if i pushed all the sliders up? im mean the primary thing i want out of it is a noticable volume increase with a mid boost. on top of that i want some gain increase (not too much) and a drop in white noise and such
^ Im pretty sure you'll need 2 pedals. Get the MXR 10-band EQ and a noise gate.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
i've used my friend's mxr 10 band kfk as a solo boost for several big concerts and it's worked very well. if i wasn't busy saving up for another amp and guitar, i'd buy one solely to eq my amp, and one as a boost. i didn't experiment with increasing gain very much, so i can't really comment on that (i noticed no real boost in gain, though). as far as it being used as a noisegate...the kfk, if anything, produced more noise than before. not a lot, but it definitely didn't suppress anything.
look aat the fish and chips danelectric pedal its only like 20 bucks and ITS AWSOME its not as dope as the boss eq but i think the boss is like 99 i dont see were the 80 dollars diff is... and some people bitch about that there made of plastic...EFF WHYY EYE dont be hard on ur pedals, plus alot of things are made of plastic that are tuff...i wont list
I'll be getting the Behringer EQ pedal soon, I've read good things about it, but on the other hand, it's cheap. Will see how good it is.

On the topic, I doub't an EQ will be much of a noise gate. Some effect, yes. But volume boosting, mid boosting AND noise gate? Meh, might be doable, but you're better off with a noise gate and an EQ. I can't say yay or nay on the gain thing tho.
ok. forget the noise gate. not interested in that. i need to know if there is a significant boost in volume in either the mxr 6 band and 10 band to allow it to be used as a mid boost and volume boost simultaneously. also, im only interested in the mxr eqs so dont recommend me anything else (unless it has true bypass which i will look into).

anyone out there that owns/tried a mxr 6band eq?
^Get the 10 band one you'll have more control over everything, and yes there is a volume boost on it.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
The 10 band is killer, get that one. Mine can boost mids, volume, and gain, if done right. It's a great little box.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by noravitz
look aat the fish and chips danelectric pedal its only like 20 bucks and ITS AWSOME its not as dope as the boss eq but i think the boss is like 99 i dont see were the 80 dollars diff is... and some people bitch about that there made of plastic...EFF WHYY EYE dont be hard on ur pedals, plus alot of things are made of plastic that are tuff...i wont list

I totally agree. Just to add a little: Unlike other effects an EQ is an EQ. Almost all brands work equally as well. Might as well save a little money. I recommend buying two. Use one up front and one in the effects loop.