ive been looking at a MusicMan instrument for my next bass, and i was wondering what the primary tone differences were in these 3 varieties, and what kind of music they might be best suited to. Im not a huge fan of slap/pop'ing, more of a tapping guy (if that helps you any =) )
Honnestly all 3 are great i wouldnt be able to decide.
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Pros: the bongo, is the msot versitile tonally it has the msot frets(24), the stingray is good for punk fun kand rock that type of stuff 22 frets, the sterling is a smaller stingray im pretty sure

Cons: the bongo is made of basswood... acording to the fitz.... basswood sucks.......and it looks kinda wierd, the sterling doesnt have a full 2 octave fret board nor does the sterling, the stingray and sterling also both have slightly less tonal versatility...

i suggest finding one of each at a shop, play the **** out of them.... decide which you liek

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Well cheap basswood sucks, but I've found basswood to be very 'bland' sounding. As far as tonal differences, I've always said that those big bad humbuckers result in a very similar and distinct sounding tone no matter what bass you put them on. A Warwick $$ and a Stingray sound so similar it's crazy (whereas a Warwick Corvette and active Jazz sound nothing alike). You'll get that humbucker tone on all 3 axes and you'll never escape it. If that's the tone for you, pick the one that is the most comfortable for you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by IWeildTheSpade
Stingray is the way to go, my dad owns one and it sounds awesome for bright sounds and has a lot of treble in it, but it's personal preference

That would mainly be EQ...

Anyways, the Sterling is basically the same as a Stingray, but it comes standard with an Active 3-Band EQ and has a slightly smaller body. I think it looks better, but aesthetics are personal preference.
I love the Stingray, and prefer the body over the Sterling. Yes, the bongos are versatile, but there are many of us (including myself) who think they are dead ugly. I love my EBMM Stingray FL and one of the basses I am GASing for is its fretted brother.

With all three you get that wonderful EBMM punch from the humbuckers. Try all three, its really going to come down to which body feels comfortable and whether you need the 24 frets.
A lot of people have mentioned the 24-fret fretboard. To me, it's more important to have 21 frets than 24. For me, having the lowest available note and the highest available note be the same note is very important. But then again, I play a lot in E.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
A lot of people have mentioned the 24-fret fretboard. To me, it's more important to have 21 frets than 24. For me, having the lowest available note and the highest available note be the same note is very important. But then again, I play a lot in E.

Fender needs to learn to add just a few more frets...that high E is alot more useful than you would think

But they seem to have gotten the idea at musicman, which is odd because its from the same guy...
I'd definately get the Bongo. It's a versatile piece of kit, looks very, very cool and is definately a bass that stands out. Stingrays are also fantastic but from playing them both in shops I'd prefer a Bongo.

I've never even seen a Sterling.
You could get a Stingray HH.

Added versitility but not fugly like the bongo.

theyre just hitting the shops atm i believe.

Saw a new one on eBay for £999 today.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
How can people say the bongo is fugly? It's dead sexy. Anyway I would go with the bongo. I've tried out both a stinger and a sterling and they weren't anything special. If it's only those three then I would go Bongo.
If you decide on the Bongo definitely look at getting an H/S pickup configuration and the 4-band EQ. It will all add to it's tonal diversity.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

The Bongo looks much better when
1/ It's strapped onto someone who knows how to use it
2/ It's not in the dreaded black body/white scratchplate "toilet seat" colour scheme.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
try to find a sterling 5-string those are AMAZING!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3
try to find a sterling 5-string those are AMAZING!

Pretty impressive that you know that, considering they don't exist (yet)
haha
Quote by thefitz
Well cheap basswood sucks, but I've found basswood to be very 'bland' sounding. As far as tonal differences, I've always said that those big bad humbuckers result in a very similar and distinct sounding tone no matter what bass you put them on. A Warwick $$ and a Stingray sound so similar it's crazy (whereas a Warwick Corvette and active Jazz sound nothing alike). You'll get that humbucker tone on all 3 axes and you'll never escape it. If that's the tone for you, pick the one that is the most comfortable for you.

Yes...This is why you get a Stingray with a J-pup in the neck position.
Quote by Captain Insano
Yes...This is why you get a Stingray with a J-pup in the neck position.

Yeah, but the fact that Stingrays have pickup switches, not blenders, gives it 2 sounds.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Pretty impressive that you know that, considering they don't exist (yet)

oh **** nevermind i meant stingray i forgot the sterling my bass teacher has is the 4strign ans the stingrays the 5
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, but the fact that Stingrays have pickup switches, not blenders, gives it 2 sounds.

well, you could easily add a balance pot, and then have the ability to mix between the two pickups I guess.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!