Post stories about your worst guitar buying experiences.

Mine was, I bought an Ibanez Rg series at a pawn shop for $100 bucks, original price was around $500. I rushed straight home to play it, it had a Floyd Rose, and it was in great condition. As soon as I plug it into my amp......no sound. It had a short, it was a total piece of crap. I sent it into repair, and the wiring was so bad that they had to re build it pretty much. I just pitched the guitar because the guitar the repair costed more than what I bought it for.

So, what was yours?
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
i can't get my adjusters on my modified and extremely old peavy to go back in.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by FallenFlame332

Mine was, I bought an Ibanez Rg series at a pawn shop for $100 bucks, original price was around $500. I rushed straight home to play it, it had a Floyd Rose, and it was in great condition. As soon as I plug it into my amp......no sound. It had a short, it was a total piece of crap. I sent it into repair, and the wiring was so bad that they had to re build it pretty much. I just pitched the guitar because the guitar the repair costed more than what I bought it for.

So, what was yours?

You should have just rewired it yourself, it's not hard.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
I bought a Squier without trying any other guitars for my first guitar.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too, but I couldn't play so it didn't seem like there was much point in "trying" other guitars. Knowing what I know now, I would have saved up for a MIM Fat Strat or something.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by *kas
Me too, but I couldn't play so it didn't seem like there was much point in "trying" other guitars. Knowing what I know now, I would have saved up for a MIM Fat Strat or something.

I wouldve gotten a Fat Strat too (same price)

=(
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
I hate going to Guitar Centers. Everytime I go there, it's a bad experience. I used to go there to play nice guitars that I'd like to own someday, but my current guitar is better than all the other ones there, so there really is no reason to go there other than to buy strings. (Or play badly set up guitars that have rusted razor wire for strings)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
as my first guitar i bought a stratocaster type guitar. i played it for 5 months and i realized i didnt like the stratocaster shape,but i was a beginner so i didnt noe **** and i had to wait to get a new one
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

i did the exact same thing. =O
I've had MANY bad guitar buying experiences.

I got tricked into buying a Line 6 Spider II 112 for DOUBLE THE STREET PRICE at a small, run-down "guitar store".
I later got tricked into trading that Spider II for a semi-broken Marshall MG at GC.

I got fucked over at another shitty guitar shop for a mandolin (I lost $170)

I bought a Yamaha RGX-A2 as my second guitar without even trying it, I got it because of the LEDs...

I bought a MIM Strat once, brought it back the same day, then bought it again later that week. Yeah...

Etc...
Last edited by Blash at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by SG Man Forever
I hate going to Guitar Centers. Everytime I go there, it's a bad experience. I used to go there to play nice guitars that I'd like to own someday, but my current guitar is better than all the other ones there, so there really is no reason to go there other than to buy strings. (Or play badly set up guitars that have rusted razor wire for strings)

im like that i prefere the feel of my guitar to gibby lp customs.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Well theres a store by me who completely ripped me off. Some thanks for being a good customer...

I bought a Squier HH telecaster custom, because i liked it and it was half price, but while i was trying it out i had pointed out that the volume pot for the bridge pickup was a bit knackered, if you put any downward force on it the pickup would cut out. so after waiting weeks for them to repair it and not buying it, they told me to just buy it, and they'd repair it for free...

anyway, i left it with them to repair it, it took them about 2 months, and when it was done they called me to tell me. when i got there they handed me the guitar and said "right that will be £20 please"... i thought the guy was just joking, but he wasn't. anyway i thought 'meh i can't really complain, it still only cost me £120' (incidentally there was a fully working jagmaster for £125, but i prefer teles...)

Anyway, it could have been sorted. when i got it home, there was no problem with the guitar cutting out, but the pot was very stiff. also, for some reason the guitar sounded really dark, had no bite at all when it did before. I thought this was to do with the strings, but when i got my new amp it was just insanely dull sounding, it just sounded really sloppy and bassy. i replaced the strings, and no improvement. then i removed the knob to see that it wasn't even a guitar pot they'd replaced it with, it was a crappy plastic shafted pot and the knob had been forced on and damaged. I contacted the manager and he was just like "sorry but this isn't our problem, the guy who repaired it no longer works for us". then i went in to speak to one of the guys who works in there and he said "no its probably just because its a crap guitar", and wouldn't accept that it was the wrong pot. So i removed the pickguard, and sure enough, it was a 470k pot (humbuckers should have 500k) which is why the high end bite had disappeared. i told them i'd taken it apart and seen it for myself and they still argued that it wasn't the wrong rating pot, but they refused to sort it out for free, i wouldn't even trust them if they said they would, because they'd already charged me for a "free" repair once. Needless to say i've just stopped going in there, i now trust them with purchases less than I trust ebay sellers.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Well theres a store by me who completely ripped me off. Some thanks for being a good customer...

I bought a Squier HH telecaster custom, because i liked it and it was half price, but while i was trying it out i had pointed out that the volume pot for the bridge pickup was a bit knackered, if you put any downward force on it the pickup would cut out. so after waiting weeks for them to repair it and not buying it, they told me to just buy it, and they'd repair it for free...

anyway, i left it with them to repair it, it took them about 2 months, and when it was done they called me to tell me. when i got there they handed me the guitar and said "right that will be £20 please"... i thought the guy was just joking, but he wasn't. anyway i thought 'meh i can't really complain, it still only cost me £120' (incidentally there was a fully working jagmaster for £125, but i prefer teles...)

Anyway, it could have been sorted. when i got it home, there was no problem with the guitar cutting out, but the pot was very stiff. also, for some reason the guitar sounded really dark, had no bite at all when it did before. I thought this was to do with the strings, but when i got my new amp it was just insanely dull sounding, it just sounded really sloppy and bassy. i replaced the strings, and no improvement. then i removed the knob to see that it wasn't even a guitar pot they'd replaced it with, it was a crappy plastic shafted pot and the knob had been forced on and damaged. I contacted the manager and he was just like "sorry but this isn't our problem, the guy who repaired it no longer works for us". then i went in to speak to one of the guys who works in there and he said "no its probably just because its a crap guitar", and wouldn't accept that it was the wrong pot. So i removed the pickguard, and sure enough, it was a 470k pot (humbuckers should have 500k) which is why the high end bite had disappeared. i told them i'd taken it apart and seen it for myself and they still argued that it wasn't the wrong rating pot, but they refused to sort it out for free, i wouldn't even trust them if they said they would, because they'd already charged me for a "free" repair once. Needless to say i've just stopped going in there, i now trust them with purchases less than I trust ebay sellers.

what's wrong with ebay sellers? ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
what's wrong with ebay sellers? ^^

nothing, i just don't trust ebay. you don't know what you're really buying, the pics can't show everything.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I got my SG Junior off ebay, had to go to north yorkshire to pick it up though.

the guy said it was in immaculate condition, by which he ment he had not played it, it still had the origional stock strings on, they were like spaggetti!

there were dings everywere. and on top of that, the electrics diddnt work.

i got it home and the ammount of dust on the electrics were phenominal, gave em a clean out and now she works fine
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
bought a bc rich platinum pro warlock on ebay for £170
turned out to be the biggest heap of **** ever
hated everything about it and it had a loose pickup

sold it for £180 so it wasn't that bad lol
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
I bought Marshall MG15DFX for 100 quid, I was basically buying into the Marshall name. I later realised it was pretty crap.
Quote by Blash

I got tricked into buying a Line 6 Spider II 112 for DOUBLE THE STREET PRICE at a small, run-down "guitar store".
I later got tricked into trading that Spider II for a semi-broken Marshall MG at GC.

I got fucked over at another shi[/u[tty guitar shop for a mandolin (I lost $170)

I bought a Yamaha RGX-A2 as my second guitar without even trying it, I got it because of the LEDs...

I bought a MIM Strat once, brought it back the same day, then bought it again later that week. Yeah...

Etc...

no offence (in other words i'm about to offend you) you are an absolute idiot
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
You should have just rewired it yourself, it's not hard.

Thanks, I'm currently looking for a guide that teaches you how to do it.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
This isn't really a my worst guitar buying experience, but I had just given him the money to buy it, so I think it counts

Went to buy a new LP style guitar with a friend the other day. He decided on an Epiphone LP Standard, because he couldn't afford the custom (after factoring in the cost of a new nut, new tuners and new electronics).

He settled on a sunburst type one, when we saw the new blue ones they only just got in. After playing around with it for a little while, we decided that the neck was slightly less comfortable, but it looked so much cooler, so he wanted to get it. The store guy decided he'd take $50 off the price we agreed ($850 with hardcase) if we got the blue one. So he tells the store dude, and he stuffs about getting one from out back, tuning it, putting it in a hardcase, etc.

While he's doing all that, I pulled this sweet amber Legacy LP off the wall, and screwed around with it for about. It felt brilliant, much better than my old Epi LP Custom, and it was only $600. It also had EMG-HZ pickups which I personally think sound bad, but we could easily sell to friends for $50. My mate loved it too, it felt so much better and looked beautiful.

He decided he wanted that one, and just when the store guy had rung up the total. The guy gives him sad face, cause hes just screwed around for 20 minutes.

Anyway, so the LP standard, hardcase and a 20 foot plant waves cable, total comes up to $1200...

He bought it. Just because he felt bad about making the guy go get a different guitar.

I went back and got the Legacy 2 days later Took home the guitar, an earvana compensating nut, sperzel locking tunings, switchcraft jack, cts pots, gibson speed knobs, 2 seymour duncan pickups (JB & a Jazz) and a hardcase.

After selling the old electronics & tuners, I got out of it for $850.

He "pawned" the guitar for $500 this morning.
When my sister bought the First Act guitar and amp kit at Tj Maxx (The Cheap Clothing Store), and when i bought this drive wildfire guitar with an amp from my friend for $40, but it was missing the humbucker switch knob.
Quote by Blash

I got fucked over at another shi[/u[tty guitar shop for a mandolin (I lost $170)

Etc...

screw me once...
Heres a horror story: Place called Roseville Music in Pennsylvania. I was GASing bad for an ESP LTD KH202. I Walk in, and bam, they have it on sale for $419 (mind you this when they sold for around $500). I plug it in, and it sounds great. however it has EMG-ESP pickups instead of the EMG HZs they were putting in. Now logic said they were doing MIK licensed Actives rather then MIA passives, but I asked anyway, and I was told they were actives. So of course I bought it. I get home and I'm playing it, and the Floyd won't stay in tune as the nut doesn't look like its locking well. Then, I go online and look up the specs, and they have passives. We took it back, and the guy said "No refunds". Fortunately dad was with me, and after we had an a heated argument with the guy he gave us a refund. Worse experience ever.

In second place is my RG5EX1. again, go into GC, and its on sale. I sit down with it, probably for over an hour, and I buy it. Week later I notice its doing and odd thing with the string wrapping around the post distorting, and the A popping out of the saddle. We take it, and we can't get them to take it back, but he plays around with it and gets it fine. A month later I got to change strings and blam, same issue. this time I'm pissed, so I take the trem, and get looking at it.... the wood around the bass side trem post is completely busted out! Guitar Center and Ibanez of course wanted nothing to do with (unless I paid them) so I took it to my tech and had it fixed by him instead of either of those goofball companies. Its been fine since, but it will be the last major purchase I make of an Ibanez product new or from Guitar Center.
I've never had a "bad" experience, my first guitar was when I was eight, so I needed a tiny acoustic and I didn't feel like starting on electric. So I picked up that, they gave me a strap for free and some picks. A few years later when I got bigger I picked up a fullsize acoustic that I picked out with my dad and my guitar teacher, it had a few "blemishes" on the back but I didn't really care, it was still a nice acoustic for the price, (Samick Greg Bennet) so I still have the guitar, nearly 5 years old and it's still great, well the action changed a bit but I brought it into a luthier and for 210$ got all the frets re-done, action adjusted, bone saddle, and it plays better than it ever did. About 1 year after the acoustic was bought, I wanted to start looking at electrics. So my dad went looking in pawn shops and found a "Vantage" that was missing a pickup, had no paint on it, but the action was nice and stuff, anyways the guy at the Pawn shop needed the money so my dad was nice and bought it for 75$, brought it home and said if I didn't want it then that was okay because it wasn't an amazing guitar. Needless to say I played it for the next few years, and for my 13th birthday my dad got me a Strat, so now I have that, and I sold the electric to my cousin, but he doesn't play it so I kinda want it back for a project guitar.

So nope, no bad experiences, and there are no Guitar Centers near me (Thank god) so I don't have any from there.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
no offence (in other words i'm about to offend you) you are an absolute idiot

None taken, I know I was an idiot, all that stuff I posted happened a long time ago (except for the mandolin, that was this summer, but that wasn't even my fault). I didn't know any better.
well it wasn't really me that bought it..it was my mum and she didn't know anything about guitars and she wanted to surprise me cause it was nearly my birthday and i didn't get to choose or even said what i wanted....so it was ok not bad but not good either
Quote by AthenasGhost
So nope, no bad experiences, and there are no Guitar Centers near me (Thank god) so I don't have any from there.

Is Guitar Center really that bad? I'm heading over there tommorrow it's about a 40 minute drive to see their selection. Of course, there's a smaller one about 5 minutes away but my mom insists that we go to Guitar Center. Oh yeah, and the guitar and amp I want to show her are in that smaller one. What should I say to her?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
There's no guitar centers near me, there's a couple private stores. (some of you michiganians may of heard of Elderly Instruments). The only bad purchase I have made was buying a Spider II 30 watt used. It was only like a hundred bucks, and after I had done away with it, I sold it for 15 bucks more than I bought it for.
The next stupidest thing I did was not talking the price down for my Peavey classic 50 more (still at elderly). But.. Turns out the guy (one of the techs/salesmen) upgraded the tubes and did some sweet modding jobs to it, so i'm not complaining. He looked kind of upset when I bought it, when I was checking out, he told me to take good care of "her", and he called it his "baby" a few times. The people in there are strange... but overall helpful and knoweldgeable.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Blash

I got fucked over at another shitty guitar shop for a mandolin (I lost $170)

Etc...

Seems to me like you're just stupid ^_^
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by FallenFlame332

So, what was yours?

A wire job for $100? What did they wire it with, silver braided gold?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by TheReFiller
Is Guitar Center really that bad? I'm heading over there tommorrow it's about a 40 minute drive to see their selection. Of course, there's a smaller one about 5 minutes away but my mom insists that we go to Guitar Center. Oh yeah, and the guitar and amp I want to show her are in that smaller one. What should I say to her?

Well I don't have a personal oppinion on them, I'll be honest and I was a (little) bit stereotypical towards them, (I have never been to one) because all I've heard around here is that they try to sell too much and they aren't as devoted to keeping the instruments in quality shape as some smaller music stores, that they are mainstream, and that a lot of people go in just to play the instruments.

I'd say go, and check out what it's like, not every store is the same, you might like what they have and you might not. I've just been told in general that Guitar Centers are not the best place to shop. 40 minute drive isn't THAT far, check it out. If you know more about guitars and nothing at GC catches your eye, tell her you want the guitar and amp at the smaller shop.
Quote by darkarbiter7
There's no guitar centers near me, there's a couple private stores. (some of you michiganians may of heard of Elderly Instruments). The only bad purchase I have made was buying a Spider II 30 watt used. It was only like a hundred bucks, and after I had done away with it, I sold it for 15 bucks more than I bought it for.
The next stupidest thing I did was not talking the price down for my Peavey classic 50 more (still at elderly). But.. Turns out the guy (one of the techs/salesmen) upgraded the tubes and did some sweet modding jobs to it, so i'm not complaining. He looked kind of upset when I bought it, when I was checking out, he told me to take good care of "her", and he called it his "baby" a few times. The people in there are strange... but overall helpful and knoweldgeable.

Where at in Michigan do you live?