so i just started a band like 2 days ago and we dont have a bassist yet but we have a vocalist, and theres open mic coming up at my school we already can fully play dammit by blink which isnt much but i think we should sign up and play it. what do u guys think? good idea? bad idea? bad song?
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
yeah but i go to a all black school were rock is basically non existant i forgot to add that part in so they wont know the difference
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
in that case, do it. i'm also assuming you don't have a drummer
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
Quote by petey gunnz
yeah but i go to a all black school were rock is basically non existant i forgot to add that part in so they wont know the difference

but you will. and you'll hate yourself later.
so how is anything you play gonna be accepted?

even though im pretty sure you're making a very racist generalization...
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
of course we have a drummer and its not racist its a fact and its guna get accepted cause i know the deans
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
hmm... definetly practice b4 your gig, but if it was me i wouldnt go for this one, bcuz i would be so nervous
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by petey gunnz
of course we have a drummer and its not racist its a fact and its guna get accepted cause i know the deans

i meant accepted by your fellow students...if they all listen to rap and hip hop, how will they enjoy any rock song you play?

but if you were wondering, dammit is a good song to play.

well its our first gig u gotta be nervous but we all got mad balls(im prob get called gay fopr saying that) and were not afraid to play in front of some people
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Do it anyways, it'd probably be fun.

Usually people even if they don't like your genre will give you some respect.

Or maybe the audience will have an epiphany and say "HOly **** Rock is good."
Quote by petey gunnz

Using punctuation helps.

On topic: Your going to cover Blink-182? Haha. You failed before the gig happened.
Quote by petey gunnz
well its our first gig u gotta be nervous but we all got mad balls(im prob get called gay fopr saying that) and were not afraid to play in front of some people

Well, pour your heart into it if you think you're ready. I say go for it Good luck

And it's not like it's your virginity either, you can play this time and suck, but anyone with 2 cents worth of intelligence will know that next time you'll be better.
The Pit. The Movie.
Learn some blues progressions and then get up there and start playing them. Have your singer improvise the lyrics (just stick to a subject like school or work) and then you improvise on your guitar. You could do a 2 hour performance like that.
He's right!

So you don't have a drummer or a bassist, theres plenty of songs you can choose from which allow people to see your talent.

Blink isnt.
bad song, most of the time bad band.
and playing damnit on a bc rich warlock is gonna look dumb as hell.....

you should play (since you like KSE [and i love them ]) My Curse by Killswitch Engage
its slow, its simple, and it sounds great.
everything is easy in the song, just drop tunned, thats all =]
and since you've been playing for a year, id HOPE that you can play this.
if you have a good double bass drummer, good vocalist, and you're pretty decent at guitar and solos, try something along the lines of These Fevered Times by Darkest Hour.
its a bit more advanced and requires better guitar work obviously, and a good vocalist.
(TIPS FOR THE VOCALIST FOR DARKEST HOUR!!!)
during the metal screaming, have him stick his tounge out.
the Darkest Hour vocalist sounds like he has his tounge sticking out, making it shaped
pretty uniquely, and i noticed when im singing along, i sound more like him with my tounge out
its not meant to be funny, and im serious.
my friends laughed when i told them this, and they tried it and all agreed that they sound
more like him doing that.
yeah but were only gonna do one song, dont wanna od now
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Don't bother dude. If your audience isn't going to care for your performance, then it's not worth it. Wait until you get a chance to play for an audience that will actually be impressed and will want to listen to your band.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
bad song, most of the time bad band.
and playing damnit on a bc rich warlock is gonna look dumb as hell.....

you should play (since you like KSE [and i love them ]) My Curse by Killswitch Engage
its slow, its simple, and it sounds great.
everything is easy in the song, just drop tunned, thats all =]
and since you've been playing for a year, id HOPE that you can play this.
if you have a good double bass drummer, good vocalist, and you're pretty decent at guitar and solos, try something along the lines of These Fevered Times by Darkest Hour.
its a bit more advanced and requires better guitar work obviously, and a good vocalist.
(TIPS FOR THE VOCALIST FOR DARKEST HOUR!!!)
during the metal screaming, have him stick his tounge out.
the Darkest Hour vocalist sounds like he has his tounge sticking out, making it shaped
pretty uniquely, and i noticed when im singing along, i sound more like him with my tounge out
its not meant to be funny, and im serious.
my friends laughed when i told them this, and they tried it and all agreed that they sound
more like him doing that.

lmao i agree with the warlock thing and id rather play life to lifeless but the screaming would prob go over worse than blink thats why we picked blink
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Quote by Jersey_Zombie
Don't bother dude. If your audience isn't going to care for your performance, then it's not worth it. Wait until you get a chance to play for an audience that will actually be impressed and will want to listen to your band.

yeah but when else do u get a chance to play alone in front of a crowd yet alone a pretty big one
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
lol, then ditch the vocalist.
if he can only do blink 182 then thats phailure and you should wait til' some other
time to do your school thing.
Metal will leave a better impression then Blink 182.....
god nobody listens to them anymore!!!!

hmm.
I KNOW!!!

Convalesence - Darkest Hour
there isn't a "driven" metal scream he uses, and from time to time he uses his
extremely under-used and awesome light voice.
and the solo is very easy unless you have no idea how tremolo pick or do a half-assed
sweep =]
oh, but you'll need 2 guitarists of course.
the bassist doesn't matter.
the drum part is fucking easy peasy
well im the screamer of the band and our vocalist sings, but i can sing too and when we do dammit we both sing it, i dunno it sounds mad good to us and everyone weve showed unless u got something that aint metal i doubt well do it but as for now blink seems fine i dunno why everyone rags on them so much
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
just do blink. you dont want the hip hop/rap elitist to pester you about listening to "screamo" music. believe me, they will. even if its a pop song with screaming, its automatically screamo. stray away from screaming!

If you had a bassist, they could use a fuzz/distortion pedal and you could play a somewhat simplified version of Saul Williams' "List of Demands," he's considered a hip-hop artist, but I consider him somewhat of a rock artist, really... This song has many elements of rock, at least.

The thing is, there isn't much for a guitarist to do, there are a few spots where there is some amp feedback but other than that, nothing really.

Well if you can find a bassist, it's a pretty simple riff, and the drum part wouldn't be too tough, I don't think. If nothing else you might be able to pull the bass riff off on a guitar using a lower tuning and some FX.

It'd be a great choice.

Edit:

This song actually sounds really good in drop-d with a fuzz pedal... it's just 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
Last edited by Slipping_Away at Oct 7, 2007,