I just went to Guitar Center to try some amps.
-I loved this crate amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-RFX120-Combo-Amp?sku=487824.
-and this Line 6 amp was pretty nice: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-120-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482271

Other amps I tried:
-a Peavey tube amp (not really good for the tone I want, it was expensive and the employees get paid on commission, I think thats why he showed it to me)
-some Marshal MG series (hated it)

So, are the amps that I liked any good? Will it last? Is it loud enough to play with a band?

EDIT: I forgot, I need a metal tone. The most I will spend is maybe $450 - $500. Under that is always great.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Oct 7, 2007,
well, to be honest, most people will say to not go with either of those (especially the line 6). look for a used tube combo or Crate Palomino tube.
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
yeah the Line 6 are bad, they only give half ass tones for any type of music. my friend has one, its ugh...
LOL
try a crate flexwave, check this vid (i found it) the first part is showing a guitar, the next part he's playing (like 0:30)

the dude doesnt rip, but i like the tone of that overdrive,

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-17452965-_JM
its recorded on a handmade zakk wylde camo copy made by this man, but the amp is a crate fw120

i will translate what the part in big letters says:

Check this vid i uploaded next to the main photo, where the little camera picture is. it's conected directly to a Crate FW120 non-tube amp with a bit of reverb

(in small letters) Sorry, the strings are new and it doesnt sound tuned

my note: CHECK THE TONE AT 2:40
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Oct 7, 2007,
Well the reason I though the Line 6 was pretty nice is because when I was trying it someone decided to sit right next to me and blast their amp. But I have decided I love Crate amps now.
well in my own personal opinion the Line 6 has only one strong point: its high gain. everything else about that amp mostly sucks
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by zanz1bar
well in my own personal opinion the Line 6 has only one strong point: its high gain. everything else about that amp mostly sucks

I kinda' like my Line 6. I like the bass and treble it gives (I scoop), however, I use a pedal for distortion, so I barely experiment with the settings. It's loud enough for me to compete with other instruments, and it doesn't fuzz out the notes, so no real complaints.
I think most people on here say that the line 6 are bad, but probably only half of them have actually played them...I havent played them, but since I see it on here all the time, I think its bad...haha
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The Line 6 amps are OK there are better out there though.....
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
oh and the guitars on there are 100% FAKE look at the truss cover "Zakk Wyide" LOL....thats the give away ALL the china copies use the a "i" for the l.....too funny
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x