My band has4 members, 3 guitars and a drummer, with one of us guitarists on vocals, do we really need a bass guitarist? or do you think we could pull it off without one. We do rock stuff mainly, Zep and VR, stuff with that feel
I'd suggest one guitarist plays bass. Having three guitarists and no bassist... just.. doesn't sound like such a smart move.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
please have someone switch to bass, 3 guitars is too much, and bass really adds to the sound
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
ya its not like guitar to bass is a really BIG transition and no offense to bass players at all, but i think if someone knows guitar well, they should be able to pick up simple bass quickly, its not like ur tryin to play primus or anything =)

PS. Learn some primus! Primus Sucks
Go for it! No one should feel threatened to follow a certain stereotype for playing music. Do what you need to do to express yourselves. Though in a very dissimilar style, Nightmare Of You has the same make-up you're considering.
I highly recommend that everyone interested in making money online join this site.

<3
Quote by axeslinger01
please have someone switch to bass, 3 guitars is too much, and bass really adds to the sound

listin to Iron Maiden and say that.

we may just go with what we have now.

to zian615: thanks, we will probably listin to you
Have someone switch to bass. It isn't hard to learn bass if you play guitar.
Quote by Kahless

They've been playing longer than we've been alive, they know what they're doing.
If you must keep 3 guitarists, tuned one of them down as low as possible.
Quote by Kahless

iron maiden also have a bassist
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
You're music is going to sound quite lacking without a bassist, you'll certainly have more depth if you get one, so go for it.
Quote by Kahless

They HAVE a bassist.

They've also been playing for years and know their instruments and each others styles inside out. Three guitars is extremely hard to pull off unless you really know what you're doing, but 3 guitars and no bassist is just plain stupid. You could follow zian615's advice if you were putting together some kind of ground-breaking experimental project but you aren't, you're wanting to play straight up rock.

Get a bassist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
In my opinion, a band like that without a bassist is going to sound like crap...have someone switch to bass...for the sake of your sound.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Retro Rocker
They've been playing longer than we've been alive, they know what they're doing.
If you must keep 3 guitarists, tuned one of them down as low as possible.

yeah, just keep one of them tuned down, it wont be the same as bass, but if you still want to keep three guitars, tune it down.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Quote by Kahless

Steve Harris keeps the songs from falling apart with his galloping basslines. Steve Harris also writes almost all of their songs. There would be no Iron Maiden without the bass keeping it all together so that was a very bad example.

But there are no rules in music, so you can do pretty much whatever you want. Just remember: through the evolution of music, the bassline has become a standard. Whether it's played on a tuba, an upright bass, an electric bass, keyboards or even a guitar using an octave pedal. So think of that while wondering why you aren't getting any gigs
get an 8 string then tune it down and you have a bass + guitar range in one instrument

if you had keyboards or sth, you could use the keyboards to supply bass, but unfortunately all your instruments are in the higher range, so your sound will be very "floaty" rather than grounded.
i have a 'white guitar'
I think you'll miss out a complete sound if there's no bass, mayb the singer could do the bass.

MVL.
Quote by WhereArtEsteban
Well, it all depends on how good you are...Are you good?

If they were good enough to pull of three guitarists they wouldn't need to ask...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rizo299
Bass thickens your sound, you could really do with it, even a simple bassline adds alot to the sound especially live.

Not just that, bass on it's own sounds awesome if you get the right tone.
Nothing better than a drum & bass breaki n them middle of a live song.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Not just that, bass on it's own sounds awesome if you get the right tone.
Nothing better than a drum & bass breaki n them middle of a live song.

I was thinking the same.

Yesterday i saw Giantraven and his dad play in a band which was simply bass, double bass and vocals. Sounded awesome.
Quote by rizo299
I was thinking the same.

Yesterday i saw Giantraven and his dad play in a band which was simply bass, double bass and vocals. Sounded awesome.

Off topic, but what the hell happened to my typing in that post O_o
It is not necessary for you to have a bass player in your band though I would personally recommend it. I would recommend recording a song as a band with three guitarists and a drummer but no bassist and then listen to it and critique it honestly. Then record a song (possibly even the same one) with either two guitarists, a bassist and a drummer or three guitarists, a bassist and drummer and listen to that and critique it.

It is highly likely that the song will sound better if you have a bass player.

If no one in the band owns a bass and it is impossible to find a bass player you could simply use an octave pedal on a guitar to cover the lower range or you could get a pianist/keyboard player to play the bassline.

The basslines in your songs do not have to be intricate or impressive. A lot of bands get away with ridiculously simple bass parts (AC/DC, for example). Unless you plan on covering songs that have exceptionally difficult basslines (The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin) or playing jazz it is not likely that you will need very difficult basslines.

Just remember that the most important thing to look for in a bass player is rhythm. The chemistry between the bassist and the drummer is possibly the most important relation in the band.

Something my uncle, a bassist, once told me: "A good bassist is not someone who the crowd notices while he is playing, but someone who they notice when he stops playing."
Have one of your guitar players switch to bass. Bass IS necessary unless you are sticking to strictly White Stripes covers (and even they have bass in their studio recordings). Whoever is bringing up Iron Maiden or other bands that have three guitarists.... **** off. The thread starter's band ISN'T Iron Maiden, therefore, bringing them into the convo is irrelevant. Having three guitarists and no bass player is a disaster, have one of the guitar players pick up bass.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by rizo299
I was thinking the same.

Heh

I thought we sounded a bit muddy tbh

Threadstarter: Make one of your guitarists switch to bass. You will sound better!
A bass will make your band a lot better, and no amount of detuned guitar will come anywhere close, it's not that it's a bad substitute, it's that it's no substitute at all.

Have some one switch, he can play root notes for a few months as he learns how it's done. Real bass isn't easy to learn just because someone has played guitar, but even root note thumping will thicken and improve your sound incredibly.
my band was like that, but something was missing so we drawed stores and i lost so i play bass haha, just get whoever plays bass to learn how to slap and ur sweet haha
i dont think the necessary part is the bass tone, of course its nice but what would be hypothetically lacking in a bass-less band would be the DENSITY of the sound; the density is achieved by having something play in the lower range that this hypothetical bass lacking band is lacking.

what i mean, is, bare minimum, if you cant get a straight up bass, find something to cover the range that the bass covers, and you'll already have an instantly denser sound. for example, even though i have two guitars and a bass, i still use the full range of a piano to increase the density of the sound.

hope that made sense. go play an 8 string.
i have a 'white guitar'
Wammy pedal, Octave down, sounds like a bass

But despite what the White stripes say, a bassist is a good idea in rock.... But no i wouldnt say necissary... stupid bassists
You don't need 3 guitar players, that's too many. Have one switch to bass or kick out one and get someone to play bass.
bass is completely and utterly unnecessary, but then so are drums and guitar, and vocals. It depends what sound you're going for, if you feel no need for a bassist why get one? That's why soooooo many noobs get a drummer a bassist 2 guitarists and maybe a vocalist unless one guitarist sings, it's the "way it should be" standard 4/5 piece band, it's what leads to so many root-note bassists.

If you have a good bassist however, I think it can add a LOT to the music
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
If you're going for a standard rock sound, which it sounds like you are, you need a bassist.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Bass isn't necessary, but for you to really know, at practice have the 3 guitars play on a song, and then play it again with one of the guitarists on bass. If you think bass sounds better, move a guitarist to bass, and if it sounds better without a bassist, keep your lineup as it is. Personally, though, I like some bass to fill out the rhythm section with the drummer.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
The bass is the magical connection between guitar and drums. You need bass, so have one guitarist switch.
Quote by Kahless

Yeah, but Iron Maiden also had a bassist.

And probably more talent.

But yeah, get a bassist.