I just traded my acoustic/electric guitar for a 2004 HSS Stratocaster "Fat Strat" I think they're called. I got it from the same place that installed my vintage noiseless pickups and was gonna have them install some pickups in this strat also. I was just wondering which pickups to go with for this guitar. I want something a little different than the vintage noiseless but still with excellent tone.

I was thinking maybe some fat 50s noiseless or some Tex Mex pickups at the neck and the middle, but I'm kind of unfamiliar with this humbucker deal. What should I go with in place of the original humbucker on this guitar? Dimarzio...Seymour Duncan...I really don't know where to start.
Last edited by 03SVTCobra at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Dimarzio

I see you're into medal, however I'm more of a classic rock guy so...what does pickup should I look at from Dimarzio.
budget?
are u replacing all the pickups?

for single coils, two options i'd choose from. 1. buying GFS pickups for like $30 each. not the best set, but sounds decent at low price. 2. buy Handwound boutique pickups for bout $70 each. bit more expensive, but well worth the money.

for humbuckers, get an F-spaced PAF copy. SDpickups.com would have PAFs superior to others.

for dimarzio, if u like'em so much, get one of the PAF copy ones.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by 03SVTCobra
I see you're into medal, however I'm more of a classic rock guy so...what does pickup should I look at from Dimarzio.

I'm acutally into blues and and rock too but go with a Norton.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
I'm acutally into blues and and rock too but go with a Norton.

Ahh, the signature throws me off.
Quote by ECistheBest
budget?
are u replacing all the pickups?

for single coils, two options i'd choose from. 1. buying GFS pickups for like $30 each. not the best set, but sounds decent at low price. 2. buy Handwound boutique pickups for bout $70 each. bit more expensive, but well worth the money.

for humbuckers, get an F-spaced PAF copy. SDpickups.com would have PAFs superior to others.

for dimarzio, if u like'em so much, get one of the PAF copy ones.

Would GFS pickups be better than what come in the guitar?
How about the Pearly Gates Humbucker from Fender or Seymour Duncan? I've been reading great things about this pickup.
Quote by CorduroyEW
What amp are you using?

Fender Blues Jr, after a Line 6 pod 2.0
Try a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I played a Strat with one once and it just sings. For singles, I would pickup (no pun tended) so used American Strat Pickups. they can be had fairly cheap and sound good. Also consider a Rio Grande Barbeque Bucker. Expensive, but every guitar I've played with Rio Grandes has sounded really good.
I'd suggest you get your singles from me. If you are going for the old school vibe (and it sounds like you are) then one of my smooth grooves should do the trick.

For the humbucker, I'd probably go with a regular PAF. If you have a big budget then www.sdpickups.com does make some of the best vintage sounding PAF's out there. I make a more modern sounding PAF(ish) humbucker that is pretty affordable as well.

Another good vintage(ish) sounding pickup would be the classic '59 by Seymour duncan. The pearly gates is good if you want a slightly more modern sound.

I would probably get a cover nickel cover on the pickup just because it'll help calm down the high end a little and I would not bother getting an F spaced pickup because they tend to sound more boomy than pickups with regular spacing.

Then again, those recomendations are based on what you were looking at before and may not be right. We still don't know what type of music you want to play with these pickups. I'm guessing blues and classic rock but I guess we don't really know.
Not taking any online orders.
Not to hijack, but just question. Do you make Tele pickups? Everything on your site seemed to be for Strats. I'd like to try you out if I end up getting a Tele one of these days.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm still working on tele pickups. I should have some for sale in the near future but I'm not selling any yet.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CJRocker
Try a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I played a Strat with one once and it just sings. For singles, I would pickup (no pun tended) so used American Strat Pickups. they can be had fairly cheap and sound good. Also consider a Rio Grande Barbeque Bucker. Expensive, but every guitar I've played with Rio Grandes has sounded really good.

I recently put some vintage noiseless (I believe the same pickups that are in American Standards) in my 1993 strat so I was kind of looking to get away from the vintage noiseless. Like maybe a set of hot noisless in the neck and the middle.
Quote by 03SVTCobra
I recently put some vintage noiseless (I believe the same pickups that are in American Standards) in my 1993 strat so I was kind of looking to get away from the vintage noiseless. Like maybe a set of hot noisless in the neck and the middle.

American pickups are not the vintage noiseless. The modern American Strat pickups are fairly hot, but they aren't noiseless.
Quote by CJRocker
American pickups are not the vintage noiseless. The modern American Strat pickups are fairly hot, but they aren't noiseless.

What exactly does the noiseless part of the pickup mean? I picked these vintage noiseless up off a buddy for basically free so I had them installed and love them. But I don't really understand why they're called noiseless. Although I do notice there is no hum what so ever. But I don't get hum through my mexican fat strat either with my blues jr and it has the original pickups.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, if you don't turn up the gain too much, I'm not surprised.

Noiseless single coils are actually humbuckers. There's a dummy coil underneath the pick that doesn't pick up vibrations. To compensate for the warmth caused by it using two coils, they usually install a 1M pot..

I turn it up a bit. But I'm no heavy heavy medal guru.
2007 Deluxe Lone Star Strat
2004 Standard HSS Strat
1993 American Standard Strat

Peavey Classic 30 (The practice)
Mesa Lonestar Special (The gigger)