Page 1 of 2
so the insane old lady who lives beside me can hear my amp when it's on the quietest setting, but when my computer is on extremely loud there's something about the speakers that she can't hear. So I'm wondering if there's a program that allows the mic input(which will be my guitar) of a computer to be played in real time so it acts as an amp. I wanna loop and jam using audacity, but so far I don't know any way for the speakers to play real time. Any help would be muchos appreciated.
1. get a really big marshall stack
2. keep turning it up till the old lady moves away
3. smoke enough weed that you think your ozzy osbourne
4. go into a deep depression about how your imaginary wife doesnt love you
Blast Her Ear Drums Out!!!!!
Punks not Dead it's Just Sleeping

Let's Play Some Tetris MotheR FuckeR
Quote by whatadrag
1. get a really big marshall stack
2. keep turning it up till the old lady moves away
3. smoke enough weed that you think your ozzy osbourne
4. go into a deep depression about how your imaginary wife doesnt love you

+1
if you have a line in run it from a pedal to your line in.. should work fine, or you could always buy one of line 6's various usb guitar interfaces they're quite nice i have one only cost me about 70 bucks.
PSN id: SeniorSausage
use headphones with your amp
or
move your amp to another room and face it away from the neighbors house...

yes theres a program that turns your computer into a nice guitar amp but the price is high and i cant think of the name right now.
plus you would need an interface to run with it because you cant just plug into the mic port on your sound card with a guitar....doesn't work that way.

You could get a line 6 Toneport USB interface and run your guitar and/or pedals into it
with the gearbox software you have loads of new sounds given to you and for recording its an ok product.

I recommend the interface.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by MustangMan311
My assumption: Quietest setting is too loud for your talent level, and you're trying to seem cool.

no, you dumb waste of space, I explained my situation and once in a while I'd like to play my guitar without headphones. I have a 15w amp and laying against it with my head propped up against it she can hear it. You can go to hell now.
Quote by farcry
no, you dumb waste of space, I explained my situation and once in a while I'd like to play my guitar without headphones. I have a 15w amp and laying against it with my head propped up against it she can hear it. You can go to hell now.

That's absolute bull****, and you know it. Ugh. I don't know why I'm a member of this website.
She isn't the only person on earth. Tell her you will play guitar if you damn well please.
how about running the headphone out of the amp to a line in on your sound card with a stereo 1/4" - 1/8" cord?
cheap and should work by feeding the guitar though your computer speakers instead of the amp.
Quote by MustangMan311
That's absolute bull****, and you know it. Ugh. I don't know why I'm a member of this website.

Leave then?
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by MustangMan311

no it's not you arrogant piece of trash, gtfo, seriously, I'm asking for advice here, pack your **** and get the hell out. I have 2 warnings from my landlord, a 3rd I get evicted, I explained my situation, asked for advice and you're being a complete ****ing dickwad so leave, good riddance. I thought I'd be able to make a thread without some arrogant douchebag showing up, man was I wrong. Anyways, thanks everyone else for the help.
Quote by farcry
no it's not you arrogant piece of trash, gtfo, seriously, I'm asking for advice here, pack your **** and get the hell out. I have 2 warnings from my landlord, a 3rd I get evicted, I explained my situation, asked for advice and you're being a complete ****ing dickwad so leave, good riddance. I thought I'd be able to make a thread without some arrogant douchebag showing up, man was I wrong. Anyways, thanks everyone else for the help.

If you can barely hear it, I seriously doubt an old lady next door can hear it inside her house through all walls in your house + the space in between + her walls.

About the eviction thingy:
Maybe you are eggsaturating (how every you spell it) bout how low you have it. If it is that big of a problem, use headphones.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Oct 7, 2007,
both you guys chill out, read the sticky about whats going on at this board.
fighting like this is bound to get either one of you banned.

MustangMan311 - hes asking for advice, either answer or just don't post....simple as that.

Quote by Masonpwiley
If you can barely hear it, I seriously doubt an old lady next door can hear it inside her house through all walls in your house + the space in between + her walls.

if the walls were not properly insulated and sound proofed and some inspector not caring checked it off saying it was good it very well may be that this is true.
Quote by Masonpwiley

it's an apartment, we're separated by brick walls, but I swear she puts her ear to the wall to hear me. I don't know why, but I can crank Tool pretty loud from my computer, which is in the same spot as my amp and she can't hear a thing, I'm guessing because the speakers are such low quality they can't penetrate the walls.
I've got the thing hooked up, I can record and everything, I just need something to play it in real time like an amp.
Smaller speakers would be quieter and put out less vibrations. I'm not sure of the whole science behind it but yea if the speakers are not head on your computer just run a line from the headphone jack on your amp to the line in on your computer's sound card...........problem solved....or so we all hope.

without an interface you will have a nice delay called "latency" theres no way of fixing that...its just the way the sound card works.

The way around it is to spend money on an interface.

a normally suggest a toneport but just found some info on them:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427257&highlight=Toneport+monitoring

(post #2 and 3)
I dont much think if you have to put your ears to the amp then she could hear it like the other guy said an exageration or your deaf..?
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by punk_metal2007
I dont much think if you have to put your ears to the amp then she could hear it like the other guy said an exageration or your deaf..?

I'm telling you if I turn it up to a mildly enjoyable level which is much quieter than my TV she can hear it. What reason could I possibly have to make it up?
Quote by farcry

This is all coming form the guy with the peace avatar
.Where is the peace?
Quote by The_Nightwish
This is all coming form the guy with the peace avatar
.Where is the peace?

Half of the art of zen is shutting up people like that guy. I'm cool with every single person in the world excepts those who go around looking for a fight, these people are no better than scum.
Quote by farcry
it's an apartment, we're separated by brick walls, but I swear she puts her ear to the wall to hear me. I don't know why, but I can crank Tool pretty loud from my computer, which is in the same spot as my amp and she can't hear a thing, I'm guessing because the speakers are such low quality they can't penetrate the walls.

Oh. I see. That part makes you story seem less like complete bull.

get this. http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMS1

one end goes in your headphone out, other end goes to your pc.
if ur neighbour is elderly or a family with young kids, u know guitar playing is not going to be fun. same thing happened to me before and i had to use headphones. i then got a line 6 toneport connected to pc speakers, which as u said is not that audible to others. also try not to play too much hard rock or metal, play something clean or mellow and they wouldnt mind.
\m/ METAL \m/
Quote by glydersid
if ur neighbour is elderly or a family with young kids, u know guitar playing is not going to be fun. same thing happened to me before and i had to use headphones. i then got a line 6 toneport connected to pc speakers, which as u said is not that audible to others. also try not to play too much hard rock or metal, play something clean or mellow and they wouldnt mind.

funny thing, both times I got in trouble I was playing a version of one of beethoven's sonatas, about as clean and as mellow as one would hope.
I found some programs too, but they have horrible latency on them, so I play and a second later I hear it. And yeah she's an elderly old women, sometimes she yells at kids for laughing too loud outside on sunday mornings when they play basketball.
GuitarFX box! You can get the trial version for free, which just means you have to stop playing every 4 minutes to click start again. The full version isn't expensive either (and their are other ways).
There is also ReValver, but your sound card needs to support ASIO drivers, unless you don't mind BIG lags.
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
You can plug your guitar directly into the MIC input and turn it up in the soundcard's volume settings. For effects and amp simulators you can use Amplitube or Guitar Rig.

However, the sound will be quite crappy and noisy, because the mic input has a REALLY shitty preamp.

Best way to do it is to have some sort of preamp between the guitar and the pc and use the line-in, not the mic.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Do you use a pedal? If you do, just unplug your speakers from your computer and plug them into the headphone jack of your pedal. If your pedal has no headphone jack, get an adapter thingy, I can't remember what exactly they're called.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by CodeMonk
Is your amp on the floor?
And your computer speakers off of the floor?

holy crap... what are you ****in einstein, I'd have never figured that **** out in a million years. Go ahead, pat yourself on the pack, you deserve it. Ok people, problem solved here.
As suggested before, get yourself the Line6 USB interface for plugging in your guitar to your computer. It's called Guitar Port, and it emulates a lot of amps and cabs, a wonderful tool.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Masonpwiley
About the eviction thingy:
Maybe you are eggsaturating (how every you spell it) bout how low you have it. If it is that big of a problem, use headphones.

I'm almost certain that plugging your high frequency guitar into a computer will infact destroy your soundcard and maybe even fry the motherboard on your PC...
Quote by gallagher2006
I'm almost certain that plugging your high frequency guitar into a computer will infact destroy your soundcard and maybe even fry the motherboard on your PC...

I've been doing it to record a whole cd; the pc is about 6 years old and **** anyway though so it hardly matters.
Play your guitar really loud and when she comes over, plug in your bass, and play the riff to 'Mc Hammer - Can't Touch This'.

Edit: and do a duckwalk.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by Jackolas
I've been doing it to record a whole cd; the pc is about 6 years old and **** anyway though so it hardly matters.

It's just that I did that about a year ago for 4 weeks nad it ended with my PC been taken in for repairs and me being stuck on a 4 year old laptop for about 2 months =/
Quote by farcry

Not sure how far I believe what you say about having the amp on lowest setting etc etc...

But you could try turning the bass down on your amp? Maybe it's that that cuts through.
There is poetry in despair.
Page 1 of 2