Hey ppl. I started playing the guitar recently... I'd been with a tutor before, but i had to quit. I know some of the basic stuff, a few chords (C major, E major, A major, A minor....) I don't know what to learn next. I'd really appreciate it if the gurus here guide me and tell me what to do next... Thanks. Oh yeah, i play an acoustic guitar.
Fingerpicking

its the reason why stairway to heaven is a popular beginner song, but tell ya what, its not that easy for a beginner!

Go for it
Quote by henza_x
Fingerpicking

its the reason why stairway to heaven is a popular beginner song, but tell ya what, its not that easy for a beginner!

Go for it

stairway is perfect for a beginner, it has fingerpicking, barre chords, and soloing in pentatonic ( i think?) and its not that hard to be honest i played it when i was just starting....just not the solo.

try some green day songs, if you dont like them theres plenty of easy ones.
Do you have a capo TS? you should get one, then you can play songs like
How to save a life,
Collide
Wonderwall
I will follow you into the dark
Hey there Deliah (no capo needed) /
Over my head,
well thats of course if your into those kinda songs.
K... But i have no idea what a Capo TS is.... I think the word noob sez it all. Anyways, ill find out and try to learn all of them.
Oh yeah, the fingerpicking... My guitar doesn't have nylon strings. Nickel bronze strings... I've heard that fingerpicking ain't gonna sound so good on metal strings... Would love some info on that.
What you've heard is true. Fingerpicking is best done with a classical (also known as nylon stringed). What's also different about nylon and steel is that nylon guitars have a wider neck compared to a steel string.
I've got another question... Im trying to learn Barre chords. But the problem is that the action(gap) on my guitar is a lil' too high. Gives me cramps on my index finger. So i wanted to know if i can reduce the action by tuning my guitar to a lower octave, or should i go to a guitar shop to get it reduced?
I need to know one more thing. Is it fine if i get an electric guitar? I play an acoustic now. So would it be wise of me to get an electric or should i wait a while?
A lot of people do exercises on acoustic guitars because the action is generally higher and it's harder to get a nice ringing note out of it with hammer ons and pull offs, so it really helps build your chops better than electric guitar. Alot of people say that your ear develops better when you play on acoustic and try to learn your notes and such. If you do have an interest in electric guitar, then by all means get one, you'll love it too, so much easier to play. The only problem is.. if you get a lot of distortion, you'll have to learn how to cover strings and such so they don't ring out... it'll be a bit troublesome at first and it'll make your playing sound worse, but once you get the technique down you'll be fine.

So yeah, it'd be wise of you to get an electric if you want one.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by Forgotmyid
K... But i have no idea what a Capo TS is.... I think the word noob sez it all. Anyways, ill find out and try to learn all of them.

TS is a shortcut for Thread Starter - this being you.

And for the explanation about capo, I suggest you read this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/what_is_a_capo.html

Although, I wouldn't recommend messing around with capo if you're trully a begginer... Learn songs you like, practice, and enjoy playing

edit: Here's how capo may look like, maybe you've seen it before, just don't know what it's called...
Attachments:
Capo_Guitar_Side_400.jpg
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
Last edited by smajatz at Oct 9, 2007,
I find the progression path in "Guitar for Dummies" pretty decent. But as the others have said, "more chords" seems to be the first order of business for you.

If you think you'll stick with guitar for a while, and you are interested in an electric, by all means get one.
Thanks a ton y'all! I might get an electric probably 2- 3 months later...

Quote by smajatz
TS is a shortcut for Thread Starter - this being you.

And for the explanation about capo, I suggest you read this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/what_is_a_capo.html

Although, I wouldn't recommend messing around with capo if you're trully a begginer... Learn songs you like, practice, and enjoy playing

edit: Here's how capo may look like, maybe you've seen it before, just don't know what it's called...

Thanks man... Really appreciate your help.
Quote by Forgotmyid
Thanks a ton y'all! I might get an electric probably 2- 3 months later...

Thanks man... Really appreciate your help.

always glad to be of asisstance
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
get the electric guitar, but do your warmups and whatnot on the acoustic guitar. The cramps you get from playing Barre chords will work wonders when you start playing electric. They strengthen your hand ENORMOUSLY so keep going with it, the pain is all in your mind.

Think of it this way, if you can play perfectly and cleanly on a steel string acoustic, you can play any guitar.
Quote by s4tan
get the electric guitar, but do your warmups and whatnot on the acoustic guitar. The cramps you get from playing Barre chords will work wonders when you start playing electric. They strengthen your hand ENORMOUSLY so keep going with it, the pain is all in your mind.

Think of it this way, if you can play perfectly and cleanly on a steel string acoustic, you can play any guitar.

Never looked at it that way.... I've made up my mind to practice more now!!! \m/
learn the rythim line for 409 its prety rasy but it gets your fingers used to move ment ant switching strings
Im trying to learn Stairway to heaven. But i didn't get the part where there are two numbers at the same time.... Like this

----------5--7--------7--8--------8--2--------2--0-----------0----------------
-------5--------5-----------5-----------3-----------1-----1-----1-------------
----5--------------5-----------5-----------2-----------2-----------2--0--2-2--
-7-----------6-----------5-----------2-----------3----------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------2--0-0--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also could someone tell what the 'p' is?

-3--------3--3p2--2-2----------------------2--------2--0--------0-------------
----0--------3----3-3-------------------1-----3-----------1--------0----------
-------0-----2----2-2----------------0-----------2-----------2--------2-------
-------------0----0-0-------------2--------0-----------3----------------------
-------------------------0--2--3-----------------------------------0-----0----
-3----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the first one: that's called hybrid picking. You pick one note and pluck the other one with your finger. Takes some practice .

On the second one, that's a pull off in a chord. You play a regular D chord but add your pinky in there, then pull it off at the p.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Yeah, practicing on an acoustic is like training with weights on. When you take em off (IE; switch to an electric with lower, easier action), you'll be amazed at how your playing feels. It'll be like the strings are made of silk.

And the P in the above post means "pull-off". So in that example, you would have one finger on the 3rd fret and another on the second, you pluck the note and while it's still ringing, lift the 3rd fret finger. It's an essential technique.
On the first one: that's called hybrid picking. You pick one note and pluck the other one with your finger.

Not quite right in this case, Stairway is all fingerpicking, no pick involved, at least during the intro. It switches to a pick later when the fingerpicking changes to strumming. So it simply means pluck both strings at once. The best example I can think of is the very first note(s) of the song. Two A's, an octave apart. Pick one with the thumb, the other with middle or ring finger simultaneously. There's lots of that in the acoustic intro.

And I can't remember who said fingerpicking is for nylon strings, but I fingerpick a lot on both electric and acoustic, steel strings, and it sounds great. Stairway again is a good example, it was originally done on a standard steel string acoustic, not a classical guitar. Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) fingerpicks everything...from what I've been able to find out, Jeff Beck switched to all fingerpicking around 10 or 15 years ago too. I've even fingerpicked leads with a distortion pedal going, works fine and I always fingerpick when playing my lap steel, a lot when playing slide on regular electric or acoustic too. It works quite well on steel strings.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Oh.. sorry :P. I haven't actually played Stairway to Heaven except for the tab he posted earlier. Just seemed logial to use hybrid picking for it .

Well thanks for corecting that .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
K.... Im a lil' confused right now. So could anyone suggest a song that i can play, which is not as hard as Stairway to Heaven?
Quote by Forgotmyid
K.... Im a lil' confused right now. So could anyone suggest a song that i can play, which is not as hard as Stairway to Heaven?

soy bomb by honest bob and the factory to dealer incenitives I didnt spell it right but just look for soy bomb and you will find it
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by Forgotmyid
Yeah, i got it dude... Thanks Any other songs?

umm iron man but I dont expect you to get the solo I still cant but I only tryed once hmm maybe I should work on it but alot of iron man by BS is easy and alot of punk songs are really easy like blink 182, greenday, etc. the easiest one to me by greenday is brainstew
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by punk_metal2007
umm iron man but I dont expect you to get the solo I still cant but I only tryed once hmm maybe I should work on it but alot of iron man by BS is easy and alot of punk songs are really easy like blink 182, greenday, etc. the easiest one to me by greenday is brainstew

Thanks for the input dude...