If I want to be able to pull off many different styles with one set up, is it better to spend serious money on an amp that does different styles, or buy a simple clean channel amp and a ****load of pedals?
It's all about your way of life, my son.

Personally, I'd get a good amp. I never use pedals. But I use amps. A good amp will improve your tone most significantly.

If you've noticed, the best overdrive pedals are the ones that only BOOST and DON'T change your tone. The tone, the actual voice, comes from the guitar and amp.
well i'd go for a laney lc30 or something maybe a 15 if your not into giggig, they are good little amps and are suitable for most clean songs and rock. For metal etc. you would need a pedal probably metal muff being your best option.

hope that helps
go for a versatile amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i would personally go for a nice amp that suits most of the styes you want to go for, then grab a couple pedals to fill out your sound. something with nice cleans, nice crunch and nice gain will give you a very nice start to work with, and then yo can build on it. then you add the pedals as you need them to get the subtle differences for your different styles.
Quote by sashki
It's all about your way of life, my son.

Personally, I'd get a good amp. I never use pedals. But I use amps. A good amp will improve your tone most significantly.

If you've noticed, the best overdrive pedals are the ones that only BOOST and DON'T change your tone. The tone, the actual voice, comes from the guitar and amp.

all overdrive pedals colour your tone, you're thinking of a clean boost
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
WEll it is important to have a nice amp no matter what. Plus effects pedals would do different things to your sound than an amp would. You not going to get a tube amp with whammy built in. But it depends on how versatile you want. If you're thinking about going from folk to death metal, than you'll probobly need both a versatile amp and an od pedal or something along that line.
a rack? but that is some serious money
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
depends how much money you're talking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well, not ridiculous amounts but up to maybe £2k

HOLY FOCKING SHIRT!

That's a lot of cash. You can get a (good) complete rig for that, maybe an even better one if you don't wanna change guitars.
ok, now we're talking!

what types of music do you play, and what's your current rig (including guitars etc.). do you want/need any more guitars?

there's always the third option when you get up in budget- several amps, each one aimed at doing one thing well. I mean, you can get an amp with very nice cleans for between about £300-£600, if that's ALL you need it to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?