Page 1 of 3
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
there seems to be a lot of 'deathcore' discussion going on in here, and most newer metalcore is poop, so how about some discussion focused on the old stuff. the awesome stuff, like botch, converge, skycamefalling, aftershock, overcast, and most precious blood.

to begin, petitioning the empty sky = win.
Gymmeh
1,415 IQ
GUD THRED MUN!

But seriously, Shai Hulud, old Poison the Well and old Day of Contempt are off tit.
Paracetamol
King of lower back pain
203 IQ
Earth Crisis.....This thread would be better if you included hardcore into it.

Edit: but maybe not so much hardcore punk because you could go on forever.
aggiefan33
196 IQ
Shai Hulud, Converge, Botch, and Coalesce are my favorites. I can't stand PTW, at least not The Opposite of December.

Architect(not with an 's') are really good, they're not from this time period, but All is Not Lost is really good, not much like the current metalcore stuff.
zayG
SIQQ CHUGZ BRAH
1,193 IQ
Quote by Cedence
Unloved and Weeded Out = win

So true, Downpour gives me a boner.

Zao, Earth Crisis, Botch, old PTW all = win

Best time period for metalcore IMO
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
kaktusnpoop
Back in Action on the UG
1,057 IQ
Quote by zayG
Best time period for metalcore IMO

agreed, 98% of the kids who listen to today's metalcore don't know **** about the originators
zayG
SIQQ CHUGZ BRAH
1,193 IQ
Oh yeah, can't forget Converge, Hopesfall, 7a 7p, Old Underoath(guilty pleasure), old Darkest Hour etc..
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
Scottzar
UG Noob
273 IQ
Hatebreed, duh. Hatebreed is still active now, but they started then. Zao, Converge, Earth Crisis, what most people already said. Bury Your Dead, started 2001, great hardcore.
Your head slowly caves in from the compression
Last edited by Scottzar at Oct 7, 2007,
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
5,346 IQ
Very early Killswitch Engage, anyone? They're only a shadow of their former selves now, but that s/t album kicked ass.
mr.joopy987
One guy, four eyes
342 IQ
Misery Signals first album, even though it came out around 2004, reminds me a bit of this sound.
dead_kennedy
995 IQ
Quote by zayG
Oh yeah, can't forget Converge, Hopesfall, 7a 7p, Old Underoath(guilty pleasure), old Darkest Hour etc..

Good call on 7 Angels 7 Plagues. Such a good band.
rites of nothing.
PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Bookstore Core
1,107 IQ
Reprisal
Shockwave
Earth Crisis
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
Quote by Scourge441
Very early Killswitch Engage, anyone? They're only a shadow of their former selves now, but that s/t album kicked ass.

I liked Alive Or Just Breathing a lot too. But the new stuff is pretty much ****e.

And am I the only one who likes new Poison The Well and Underoath more than their old material?
aggiefan33
196 IQ
Quote by thera_x
And am I the only one who likes new Poison The Well and Underoath more than their old material?

I personally liked the newest Underoath album MUCH more than any of their previous works, but they don't really fit in this thread.

I haven't listened to the new PTW, but YCBY wasn't too bad.
zayG
SIQQ CHUGZ BRAH
1,193 IQ
Quote by thera_x
I liked Alive Or Just Breathing a lot too. But the new stuff is pretty much ****e.

All the PTW is great, I personally like Distance Only Makes The Heart Grow Fonder though...

I despise new UO though :P
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
I'm guessing it has to do with the clean singing....

You Come Before You and Tear From The Red are the only good Poison The Well albums, and the 2006 demo was good too, but Versions ended up blowing.

Quote by aggiefan33
I personally liked the newest Underoath album MUCH more than any of their previous works, but they don't really fit in this thread..

Act Of Depression came out in 1998, Cries Of The Past in 2001, Changing Of Times in 2002...

Besides, 3/5 of their releases are metalcore.
Paracetamol
King of lower back pain
203 IQ
Quote by thera_x
I'm guessing it has to do with the clean singing....

You Come Before You and Tear From The Red are the only good Poison The Well albums, and the 2006 demo was good too, but Versions ended up blowing.

Act Of Depression came out in 1998, Cries Of The Past in 2001, Changing Of Times in 2002...

Besides, 3/5 of their releases are metalcore.

When I think of 90's metalcore I don't think of Underoath, just because they had something out on the border of the 90's doesn't neciserilly mean they fit into here, there's a particular sound associated with 90's metalcore as well.
aggiefan33
196 IQ
Quote by Paracetamol
When I think of 90's metalcore I don't think of Underoath, just because they had something out on the border of the 90's doesn't neciserilly mean they fit into here, there's a particular sound associated with 90's metalcore as well.

Yeah, pretty much what I was talking about.
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
Quote by Paracetamol

I started the thread to be more of a discussion of metalcore bands that started in the 90's/early 00's, you know... to discuss a time when metalcore bands sounded unique from one another, not to discuss one huge lump of all the same...

Also, I'll agree with the Evergreen Terrace is terrible statement, why were they even brought up in here.
Paracetamol
King of lower back pain
203 IQ
Quote by thera_x
I started the thread to be more of a discussion of metalcore bands that started in the 90's/early 00's, you know... to discuss a time when metalcore bands sounded unique from one another, not to discuss one huge lump of all the same...

Also, I'll agree with the Evergreen Terrace is terrible statement, why were they even brought up in here.

hahaha ok man, fair enough.
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
and for the record, aftershock > killswitch engage.
nayleD1337
Banned
340 IQ
Quote by thera_x

i like PTW's stuff equally. I like Underaoth's new stuff more also, but some people get caught up in the whole mainstream idea of it and say oh, its mainstream it must suck.
nayleD1337
Banned
340 IQ
ha. ive only heard one song off of that album, so i cant say anything about it.
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
I used to like FATA back in middle school too. I actually got into Skycamefalling from seeing them on tour with FATA.
SilentSpectacle
.'_;.'./)'
5,781 IQ
Oof.
This thread got to two pages without an Integrity mention.

I also back 7A7P, Botch and old Converge very hard though.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
thera_x
Banned
396 IQ
I don't know how I failed to mention 7A7P and Integrity in the first post, tbh.
zayG
SIQQ CHUGZ BRAH
1,193 IQ
Quote by Paris_In_Flames
Too Bad Your Beuatiful anyone? ha I remember getting that in 6th grade.

*pukes*

FATA is the most boring stuff I've ever heard, I can't listen to an album, all the songs sound the same or half of them are slow and not even metalcore, breaking up the album too much...

either way their drummer is a beast
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT