I have someone who wants to sell me a:

LEAM COMBO AMP Fitted 300watts

Description:
inputs for guitar k/b mic

Price: £50 - 80

Will someone interpret the jargon and tell me if this is a good deal?
Why would you ever need 300 watts?

I have absolutely no idea, but the more the better?

Helppp?
First of all, you get what you pay for and £50-80 is VERY low. If you want a decent amp you're going to want to dish out a bit more cash. 2x that price is when amps get decent but thats still the bottom of the food chain.

The 300watts is just what the amp is taking in from the wall, not how loud its gonna be. Its probably gonna be like 15w output or something for that price.

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Are you sure its not 300 volts?

Absolutely certain. I talked to the guy on the phone and I thought It would be good so I offered a bit more cashmere just to secure a place. He's coming on Tuesday for the sell.
Don't bother, it'll be a box of crap - like Defunkt said it won't be a 300 watt amp in terms of output, it'll be 300 watts power consumption. Output-wise the most it'll be will be 30-40 watts.

I never thought I'd say this, but your AVT will be far better...just phone the guy up and tell him you've changed your mind, it's going to be junk. Also, if you're in the UK then look into Swineshead pickups with regards to your other thread...they're a lot better value.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's prolly 300 watts intake and something much less for the output. But anywya, that's erious overkill you will NEVER EVER EVER need that much, unless its a bass amp prehaps.

Putting this into perspective, if you're buyying a 300 watt amp (or any SS amp for that matter) for £50 it's going to be a pile of crap 999999/1000000
Quote by Metallica rulz
maybe its just a cab? i dont know man, something doesnt seem right, but you never know. Good luck, make sure it works before you hand the dough over.

Thanks, can you give me a few things to look for?

Just to make sure its all good.

I know if its a combo amp then it should have a rectangular thing on top of the amp.

What should I be looking for?
Quote by metallinutter
300 watts for £50? Its a ****ing winner

Does anyone else think this is silly? 0.o

Anyway, I agree with those who say you shouldn't get it. It will probably be horrible and you would regret buying it after a very short period of time. Save for something nice
Quote by Omegas

I know if its a combo amp then it should have a rectangular thing on top of the amp.

I dont know to much about specifics, but I would just check for basic settings, if its got two knobs , volume and tone, then it might be bad .
Damn mate, sorry, no offence intended but you honestly dont sound like your knowledgable enough on amps to be buying used amps at all.

It's prolly some pile of crap from the 80s, :P: unl;ess the seller is an idiot an sold him some old vintage valve amp, but that's like a lottery win tbh. He's probably just looking for newbies to ship it off to. GO over there, check it out, get pics, get as many specs as you can, make sure it works, etc. etc. if you can haggle him down a bit then prehaps you can sell it on for profit or use it for practice etc.
Or it might be a harley benton GA5 ^ Which would be a good thing.
Quote by Omegas

Nothing - don't even bother, it's going to be wank....you already have an amp that is BETTER and LOUDER. This is going to be one of those no-name things that electrical shops sell, cheap SS crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by beckyjc
Damn mate, sorry, no offence intended but you honestly dont sound like your knowledgable enough on amps to be buying used amps at all.

It's prolly some pile of crap from the 80s, :P: unl;ess the seller is an idiot an sold him some old vintage valve amp, but that's like a lottery win tbh. He's probably just looking for newbies to ship it off to. GO over there, check it out, get pics, get as many specs as you can, make sure it works, etc. etc. if you can haggle him down a bit then prehaps you can sell it on for profit or use it for practice etc.
Or it might be a harley benton GA5 ^ Which would be a good thing.

I really don't mind if it is that crappy, £50-£80 isn't a lot to me right now anyway. I'll look for the basic signs that I know of from my AVT amp.

If all the signs point to crappy then I won't buy it

and what if it is all good. 300watts.. The neighbours will think they were hit by a train.

But yeah, no rush, I'll take a look though.
Last edited by Omegas at Oct 7, 2007,
All the signs are there that it's crappy, the bs about the power rating, the fact that it has guitar, keyboard AND vocal inputs and the fact that I've never heard of the company. I just don't want you wasting your money....I'm sure your capable of not getting suckered but there's simply no point in even looking at it.

It is NOT 300 watts output RMS, it's either a peak rating or the power consumption, both of which are bollocks that manufacturers of crappy amps spout to make the un-informed buy them. Seriously, output will be 40 watts tops.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

http://www.trade-it.co.uk/AdRef/YI736C569/Class/325/ParentClass/8049/Category/3360/Editions/F%7CCrawley%7CA,D,G,K,P,1H,1T/SArea/local/Keywords/LEAM/Web/FullAdDetails.asp

Guessing this is it? Guy doesn't know what he's talking about I guess.
Unless, the speaker is rated at 300 watss, which means the amp runs at no where near that probably. But eminance are quite good speakers.
Look out....becky's gonna steal your amp!!!

I've just realised the seller's going to get dead excited when he sees that the number of people viewing his ad as gone through the roof...pity they're all looking to see how crap it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The minimum you can pay for it is £50? You could get a valve amp for £16 extra (excluding the shipping costs)... It would most likely sound better.
Clicky

Quote by beckyjc
Pfft, like I have £52 to waste, I want a VJ, or a Champ righ tnow. =(

Heh. I just got rid of my VJ...
Just didn't quite have the sound I was after, and I didn't feel like modding it (yeah, I'm a lazy sod...) or buying more pedals, so I'm in the process of part-exchanging it for a JCM900 with yogurt_overdose. Well, I'm just waiting for the amp to arrive here now... My parents are not going to enjoy that day
Fair enough, im a pedal *****, and its very similar to my VCs Clean Channel, sure id get a good use out of it. Just looking for more gain?
Aye. That and I wanted something with master volume, onboard reverb and EQ, an effects loop... I'm rather picky. Plus I like the sound of a lot of Marshalls, and the VJ doesn't sound particularly Marshall-y, so yeah... It got traded. It's a lovely little amp for what it does though. It was my first valve amp, and it made me glad I didn't get a Marshall MG...
becky that harley benton head has been there for at least 2-3 months lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Exactly why I put 'just noticed' ^

Deffinately, i was very impressed with it in the shop, sounded very sweet alot warmer than I though itd be. Hell of a nice amp.
I didn't buy it.
I went and saw it, the guy had modified it with a chip which now aparently makes it a 100watt amp. Some wires were in really really bad shape and some of the buttons looked old/fallen off.

*sigh* If only the guy told me it wasn't 300watt over the phone..

Oh well.
you're a noob.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Omegas
I didn't buy it.
I went and saw it, the guy had modified it with a chip which now aparently makes it a 100watt amp. Some wires were in really really bad shape and some of the buttons looked old/fallen off.

*sigh* If only the guy told me it wasn't 300watt over the phone..

Oh well.

Well, we did warn you...whatever it was it was a bag of wank.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc