I've started to learn to play Iris (goo goo dolls), the tabs i'm using have the tuning BDDDDD, as in all tuned down or stay the same except what was open b string which is tuned up to d.

what's the risk like in breaking that string... if i keep doing it everyday isn't the string going to fatigue and snap?

also, how much does it cost to replace strings? and how difficult is it?

Thanks.
are you sure its not tuned down to D?

You only have one lifetime. USE IT!!!

The Athiest of Zeppelinism. PM The Heartbreaker to join.

We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!:UG Naked Club
I think that's probably gonna break soon enough. The solution would be to buy another high e string and use it as the b string if you were gonna stay in that tuning, but you're not so that wouldn't be practical.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
the B - D would only be 1 and 1/2 steps... most strings should be able to handle that... If your strings are like Wal Mart strings or really old they might break, but I they should be able to take it

Or you could change it out for a high E and then downtune that string?
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Strings are easy to change and you can buy an individual string for like 75 cents. I like just replacing them all though..
I highly recommend that everyone interested in making money online join this site.

<3
whoah, active forum,
thanks for the quick replies

Quote by darkvalentine
are you sure its not tuned down to D?

yep, http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/goo_goo_dolls/iris_ver4_tab.htm

Quote by 123-Trav
The solution would be to buy another high e string and use it as the b string if you were gonna stay in that tuning

never thought of that

Quote by The McManus
If your strings are like Wal Mart strings or really old they might break

they're the generic strings that came with my squire strat and they're 3 years old
Last edited by Oliwashere at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by zian615
Strings are easy to change and you can buy an individual string for like 75 cents. I like just replacing them all though..

crazy, didn't know they were that cheap. Thanks for the info
they're the generic strings that came with my squire strat and they're 3 years old

Dude! Change your strings more often in future... No wonder they broke.
to be honest i don't think its necessary to tune your guitar to a silly tuning when you can find tabs that sound the same and are in standard tuning, especially if you're just learning how to play...might be just me but i didnt start using other tunings till atleast a year after starting to learn
Cazzo
Quote by Oliwashere
whoah, active forum,
thanks for the quick replies

yep, http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/goo_goo_dolls/iris_ver4_tab.htm

never thought of that

It's pretty damned amazing your strings lasted 3 years without breaking.

Most people on here seem to change their strings every month or so.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
It's pretty damned amazing your strings lasted 3 years without breaking.

Most people on here seem to change their strings every month or so.

every month!???
more amazing than that, it's been taken to/from uni at least 18 times in the last 3 years and i have no case, so there's been books/clothes/boxes/etc on top of it.

Quote by sparky_den
to be honest i don't think its necessary to tune your guitar to a silly tuning when you can find tabs that sound the same and are in standard tuning, especially if you're just learning how to play...might be just me but i didnt start using other tunings till atleast a year after starting to learn

i've tried some tabs that use other tunings but they really don't sound as close as that one.
hmmm, just a difference of opinions, no expert but i think learning guitar doesn't have any rules thought i'd try this because it's a bit of experimentation.

thanks for the replies
Last edited by Oliwashere at Oct 7, 2007,