Fingerpicking/pingerstyle/picking with your fingers instead of a plectrum, whatever you call it

just wanted to ask if anyone had a good fast, concise webpage or something with images of the picking position(positions of fingers on strings prior to plucking/picking the string... i just wanted to check some technical things about the way i position my fingers when fingerpicking since im learning by myself, so i've just sorta, figured out what works for me rather than actually finding out the proper way to do things.

another thing i notice... alot of pplz in guitar vids seem to use the thumb for playing the strings 4-6... i started off using my thumb for 5 + 6, and 1st finger on 4th string, 2nd finger: 3rd string, 3rd finger on 2nd string, and my pinky/4th finger on the first string.

Is this incorrect? i just thought having all the fingers in use would be better technique/utilisation? But i've read pplz dont use the pinky? and alot of videos pplz use fingers 1-3 for the bottom 3 strings/strings 1-3, and the thumb covers the top 3 strings. sometimes in songs they even just use the thumb to go further down into the other string...

anyway is their a right/wrong way of which fingers to use for which strings to fingerpick? any way of particularly positioning my fingers to get a better picking sound? at times im abit put off by the sound of fingerpicking cos its more muffled than if you used a pick. however depending on my nails the sound is better/worse... and i have to cut my nails regularly since i play racquet sports ... any suggestions on best way to finger pick and get the clearest cut sound?
that's the proper technique, thumb for bottom 3 and don't use your pinky.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Oh and i use all fingers =]

I keep laughing at
"good fast, concise webpage or something with images of the picking position"
"i just thought having all the fingers in use would be better...... But i've read pplz dont use the pinky"

haha sorry but it sounds so sexual.
Quote by fallout_girl
Oh and i use all fingers =]

I keep laughing at
"good fast, concise webpage or something with images of the picking position"
"i just thought having all the fingers in use would be better...... But i've read pplz dont use the pinky"

haha sorry but it sounds so sexual.

haha aye it does
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Generally, the thumb plays the bass notes (E A D strings) whereas the index plays the g, middle plays b, ring finger plays e. This is sometimes referred to as the PIMA system which is an acronym taken from spanish that basically means

P - thumb
I - Index
M - Middle
A - Annular/Ring

There are some exceptions to this, this is only a guideline.
haha yeah you have a point, "fingerstyle" when i read it now was a pretty dodge title lol. not to mention what i wrote... i guess i was trying to get to the point rather than rant on like I usually do(my big posts hell turn off pplz).. ok that brackets part sounded wrong again sigh.. you guys corrupted my mind/post now lol.

Anyway, is there a reason why the PIMA system is used? With the thumb playing the E, A, D strings, and the Index = G, Middle = B, Annular/ring finger = high E string?? Is it just down right better technique /for playing in the long run? Or is it due to preference as the pinky is generally less strong/natural when it comes to plucking the last string(at least i noticed myn is).

Then again wouldnt it be faster if you used all your fingers? I mean thats one less string you gotta move around to hit with the thumb(since your pinkys covering a string)?
Well, the PIMA system is used in classical guitar, it's arbitrary really. It's just a guideline, I'm not really sure as to why the pinky is abandoned, but I suppose the weakness suggestion may be the reason. So, unless you're playing classical guitar, go ahead and use your pinky.
there are also some exceptions within the PIMA system too, when playing complex melodies, the guitarist will often alternate fingers (analagous to alternate picking) to play it quickly.