Page 3 of 6
Quote by jhooves
for newbs check out reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones, less than jake, catch 22. If these seem to energetic or fast for ya, slow it down to raggae. Some sublime slightly stoopid, pepper, 311, might be the way for ya. If you don't like raggae or ska, you probably suck.

If you don´t like Reel big fish, less than jake or catch 22.......you´re probably just older than 14
Quote by jhooves
for newbs check out reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones, less than jake, catch 22. If these seem to energetic or fast for ya, slow it down to raggae. Some sublime slightly stoopid, pepper, 311, might be the way for ya. If you don't like raggae or ska, you probably suck.

i love RBF, Bosstones, and catch 22. streetlight manifesto is good too, but incredibly fast. which i like
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Streetlight Manifesto has a couple of good songs and that's really it, or that's just my opinion, but I don't think that they are epic or anything.
Is John Brown's Body ska or reggae? Love ska, but mainly the kind that has the 1st wave feel to it regardless of what later waves it is. (i.e. Slackers, Hepcat, etc)

Only ska punk/ska core bands I like are... Streetlight, and all the Choking Victim breakoffs.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Nice checking alot of these bands out seeings how I only know Big D and Less Than Jake
I play metal bass with my:
Carlo Robelli bass autographed by Hatebreed
Crate MXB10 amp
Nano Metal Muff
and of course 2 guitar cables.
I look up to Paul Gray the most.
And my favorite band has to be Slipknot
my art teacher's husband played bass for Mustard Plug in the 90's.
Is the acoustic headbanger.
more on the ska-core section
Sekta-Core most of their songs

on the 2nd wave:
Panteon Rococo
La Tremenda Corte

they're mexican all of them. Mexican ska has the difference that it treats social, and political themes to the songs, idk if there are english or american bands that do that
Seriously need to start growing my ska collection. It only conissts of The Specials, Operation Ivy & spunge. Thanks to this i should be able to
NOIZE
Quote by JustMimes
Is John Brown's Body ska or reggae? Love ska, but mainly the kind that has the 1st wave feel to it regardless of what later waves it is. (i.e. Slackers, Hepcat, etc)

The songs I checked out were definately reggae. I only bothered to listen to a couple though.

Quote by cib13
is sublime a ska band?

They have some ska influence but they're more on the reggae/rocksteady side of things.
Sargasm, how about The Cat Empire? They're very eclectic (jazz, latin, funk, rock) but there is a definite ska influence. I mean I could always discuss them in Alternative but yeah, what do you reckon to them in here?

http://www.myspace.com/thecatempire
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Lol yeah I was a little annoyed at myself 'cause I kinda linked you to their MySpace without listening to which tracks they had up there. Regardless of genre, they're decent =)
Quote by BlackLuster

Quote by Jaimz

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
This isn't a comprehensive list. There are thousands of bands that aren't on there.
Quote by sargasm
That's got to be one of the craziest statements I have ever heard.
Seconded.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by devourthekitten
I have deemed Streetlight Manifesto the only good ska band ever.

This does not include ska-punk/ska-core/etc.

The Slackers.
Quote by BlackLuster

Quote by Jaimz

Ok heres the deal, i like a mass amount of heavy bands ranging from "Deathcore" to "Hardcore" and "Metal" but one of my good friends have been urging me to listen to Ska, now I'm not asking for heavy Ska I'm just making it known, but what are some essential Ska albums to have, obviously i already know about Sublime so yea any other Ska bands but them, since i already like them.
Quote by I<3Hobos
Ok heres the deal, i like a mass amount of heavy bands ranging from "Deathcore" to "Hardcore" and "Metal" but one of my good friends have been urging me to listen to Ska, now I'm not asking for heavy Ska I'm just making it known, but what are some essential Ska albums to have, obviously i already know about Sublime so yea any other Ska bands but them, since i already like them.

ska: reel big fish, streetlight manifesto, aquabats, less than jake
Skacore: suicide machines, mighty mighty bosstones, operation ivy
ska metal: mr. bungle
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Ska metal???

I don't think I ever want to hear that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Ska metal???

I don't think I ever want to hear that.
I once almost got an album by a band called "Metalliska." I totally wanted to hear that too. In fact, I'm gonna go on a mission to find it.

Just like Mephiskaphiles. That's a damn fancy band name right there.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by I<3Hobos

I wouldn't really consider anything by Sublime to be an essential ska album. In fact, I hardly even consider them a Ska band.

Essentials:

The Specials, The Skatellites, Desmond Dekker, The Slackers, The English Beat, Madness, Operation Ivy
!!! The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are Ska-Core! The first ska core! Make the necessary adjustments now!
I very much prefer Ska that sounds like first wave-- the Slackers are amazing-- or second wave-- I've recently become enamored with Madness and the Beat.
However, I make some exceptions for Ska-core: one of the few being MMB.
Ska i laike - The Specials, The Slackers, Streetlight Manifesto, The Toasters & Reel Big Fish.