Page 4 of 6
Quote by famous1234
Sublime? Rancid? Streetlight Manifesto? where are they on the list man?

Sublime is nothing but honky-reggae. Only had a few real ska songs, most were more in the rocksteady and reggae direction.
Less than jake rock hard

Seeing them in march
Quote by mental_zer0

The fear of the clock became too obvious. got expelled.

Quote by jmilli2
Spread rumours that she is a jew. Then all you need to do is sit back and wait for the secret police to make her 'disappear'.

lol?
Wow
good list
The Bands i Like Are mostly 3rd wave and i'm trying learn some new ones
but...The List is to long!
can you reccomend some of the major bands 3rd wave bands that I can start with?
Quote by whyvern
They wanna make it illegal to drink in the streets.

Quote by sargasm
I want to pass a law making it illegal to eat donuts in public so the police know how it feels.

lol
Mustard Plug, Reel Big Fish, Westbound Train, Catch 22, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones

that should give you a somewhat good idea on the different forms of third wave ska there are, there are alot more but i would say listen to those figure out what you like and then come back.
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
thanks ill check them out
Quote by whyvern
They wanna make it illegal to drink in the streets.

Quote by sargasm
I want to pass a law making it illegal to eat donuts in public so the police know how it feels.

lol
hey, i'm not exactly a ska noob. but, i wanted to know if anyone knows where to get the last releases from the forces of evil? they're supposed to be free downloads from the website, but the website apparently no longer exists...

edit: oh yeah please don't suggest any p2p services, know a kid who's being sued by riaa or whatever.
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Mar 24, 2009,
Mmm, i recently got into Planet Smashers. They are my latest obsession, haha. Does anyone know any bands similar to them?

The ska i already listen to is The Specials, Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, The Toasters, The Slackers, if that is any help.
I'll run in the rain till Im breathless
When Im breathless I'll run till I drop
The thoughts of a fools kind of careless
Im just a fool waiting on the wrong block.
Quote by GeeGar
Mmm, i recently got into Planet Smashers. They are my latest obsession, haha. Does anyone know any bands similar to them?

The ska i already listen to is The Specials, Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, The Toasters, The Slackers, if that is any help.

Quote by BostonLacrosse
Mustard Plug, Reel Big Fish, Westbound Train, Catch 22, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones

If I remember the Planet Smashers correctly, then take what BostonLacrosse said.
Thanks, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are great. Any others you could recommend?
i know they arent really ska, but i love sublime and rancid and them, any lesser known bands that i might like

i also like reel big fish, less than jake, and MMBT
Its about coming up and staying on top
And screamin 187 on a mother. fuckin. cop.
Its not written on the paper its on the wall.
National guard? ? !
Smoke from all around!!!!!
Streetlight Manifesto is definately the more kickass band I've listened to this year
I saw them live too and it was absolutely craaaaaazy
can't wait for the ''99songs of revolution'' project

Oh and this is a nice thread dude.. short, sweet and effective
hehe
hey dude have you listened to the band "the arrogant sons of bitches''? they are an awesome punk ska band
^ Heard of them, but never listened to them. I'll check them out.

Has anyone heard of the band Fatter Than Albert? Im really into them at the moment.
Cool list mann
Dunno if anyone recommended em yet
but a band called Adequate seven are awesome
Check out the song called splittin up

Funnily enough, they have split up now
Oh welll

More ska-punk than straight out ska
but meh
The Apostates = Local (s.e England) Ska punk band
The Aggrolites - Reggae reggae music
Capdown
King blues
Sonic boom six
Pama international
The Grit
Mad Caddies
Op ivy
Bad Brains
Bad manners
Citizen fish
Random hand
Some rancid stuff

To name some favourites

Theres alot of British Oi bands who do cool ska crossovers

Peace x
I know theres some fans of Choking Victim and Leftover Crack here, so any pointers? Definitely gonna get a copy of No Gods/No Managers first.
is sublime considered ska? I mean theyre a mix of reggae styles as well as punk. Im just wonderin why they arent here

edit- i just saw a post sayin they were "ska-core", but i would consider them very ska. And im also a big fan of Bosstones, RBF, Pepper, The Toasters, and The Untoucheables
Last edited by ASP499 at Jun 16, 2009,
I mean i guess for more of a ska purist sublime may not be perfect, but i still love them
Sublime used to have all my hometowns anthems, being from out here. Every party you couldn't go out without Sublime coming on and everyone singing the choruses off key and butchering the verses by mixing up the lyrics.

Good times though good times.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Sublime used to have all my hometowns anthems, being from out here. Every party you couldn't go out without Sublime coming on and everyone singing the choruses off key and butchering the verses by mixing up the lyrics.

Good times though good times.

most sublime songs are just verses without a chorus...
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Anyone else here into MU330 and Potshot?

Also, for any interested, there's a great video on Youtube of Potshot covering The Suicide Machines' Islands in the Sky. It even has Dan from the Suicide Machines lol.
If I'm totally honest with you, I've only heard a couple of songs by MU330. I enjoyed the ones I have heard but not enough to make me want to listen to more of their stuff. I know I shouldn't judge a band on just a couple of songs though!

Is anyone into the Aggrolites? I'm not a huge fan of steady reggae/ska, but I've got the opportunity to see them for free this month and was wondering whether it was worth checking them out?
aggrolites you say?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=23374386

if not for that song alone i would go see them haha!

I think i had a chance to see them earlier this year but then i forgot about it before it was too late...
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Quote by BostonLacrosse
aggrolites you say?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=23374386

if not for that song alone i would go see them haha!

I think i had a chance to see them earlier this year but then i forgot about it before it was too late...

haha, that song/video was brilliant...that may just have been the deciding factor!

Thanks

We will probably end up going to see them as their are a load of other ska, soul and reggae bands playing but they're looking quite dull in comparison.

Quote by soph_bassist!

Is anyone into the Aggrolites? I'm not a huge fan of steady reggae/ska, but I've got the opportunity to see them for free this month and was wondering whether it was worth checking them out?

Go see them. I'm not really much of a fan, but I saw them open for Flogging Molly and I actually enjoyed their show.

For free you might as well give them a chance.
Quote by daytripper75
Go see them. I'm not really much of a fan, but I saw them open for Flogging Molly and I actually enjoyed their show.

For free you might as well give them a chance.

Yeah, I did go see them, I think it was last month now!
They were really good; both musically and in how they were on stage. I'd definitely go and see them again.
I met their organ player & drummer aswell, and they were really nice guys.

I was a bit gutted because Pauline Black and Neville Staple were doing a set after them but I had to get back to the campsite!
let these flat chords just break your heart...
What about Sublime!!!

Gotta say I think its a bit odd not including sublime in the main list. I mean reggae came from ska and I reckon its just splitting hairs not to include them. by the same logic you could ague that Madness play rock-steady and the Specials play dub.

anyway gotta recomend Sublime, Fishbone and The Cat Empire. the cats have never claimed any association with punk that i know of, but they seem to have refreshingly raw vocals and a fairly DIY approach.
Last edited by S.A.D at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by GeeGar

Chris Murray, hes their producer on a few albums and does alot with a few bands, acoustic ska genius. His setlists are composed near entirely of requests.

Will I get abuse for asking about all the modern ska going on both sides of the atlantic? does this count as 4th wave? Flaming Tsunamis, King Blues being the biggest two probably, but anything on Rebel Alliance and the JB Conspiracy are amazing.
Quote by KevVin
the JB Conspiracy are amazing.

The JB Conspiracy are really amazing
let these flat chords just break your heart...
Reel Big Fish, Sublime, Streetlight Manifesto, Common Rider. All FTW =D
If you're not in it, you're out of it. - Joey Ramone
Quote by soph_bassist!
The JB Conspiracy are really amazing

Yes they are... they're on tour with the skints i think, sounds a great gig.