Page 5 of 6
i love skaaaaaa!!!! i got into it in grade 8 and i saw less than jake this summer on warped and did i say that i love ska?
Quote by RockThe40oz
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/ska-faq/part1/section-2.html

I found this really good FAQ on ska. Slightly better than what we've got here (despite horrible formatting and broken links), IMO.
I pretty much just reworded the Wikipedia article and added in stuff from another site. Not my best work.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I got the impression that it's older than Wikipedia, considering all that stuff about Usenet. But I didn't read much of it.
Eh-HEM.

The Supervillains. .

And Sly and Robbie.

And Rebelution.
Last edited by Villain360 at Nov 21, 2009,
OK, I haven't been on here in a while, and I didn't wanna read through all the pages, but some newer ska bands that I'm really diggin are Hub City Stompers, Bigger Thomas, Green Room Rockers, The Debonairs, Westbound Train, Deal's Gone Bad, Eastern Standard Time, The Busters, The Aggrolites, and The Slackers. All really great bands that are more like 1st wave ska but with more modern lyrics. There are very few 3rd wave bands that I like. The Two Tone stuff is awesome. And of course Judge Dread, Prince Buster and Bad Manners will always be some of my favorites. 1st wave is where its at though. Love that stuff.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Really Nice Work, I used it to get ideas for my french oral haha
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
The Aggrolites

I saw them open for Flogging Molly last year. I liked them a lot better live than I did on their albums. If I listen to them I get kind of bored after a few songs, but live they were good.
A lot of bands are like that. Live show blows away their recorded stuff.

Quote by lavazza
fixed

Probably for most, yeah. Streetlight Manifesto's studio work is really good though, and so is their live show. The live show is better for sure, but I wouldn't say it blows their studio stuff away.
Quote by lavazza
fixed

Now don't go putting word in my mouth. There's a lot of ska bands that have incredible studio work.

Over the years since our founding fathers left merry old England and came here to start a new life, there's been some big changes. For one, we don't have those funky accents. Two, we don't call soccer football. Three, ass buggery isn't as common place amongst the males. And four, we just plain kick more ass than they do.

So....Anyone like westbound train?...
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I certainly do.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
Over the years since our founding fathers left merry old England and came here to start a new life, there's been some big changes. For one, we don't have those funky accents. Two, we don't call soccer football. Three, ass buggery isn't as common place amongst the males. And four, we just plain kick more ass than they do.

1) Our accents ****ing own. Well, some do, some are ****ing ugly >_>
2) Surely it should be the other way round (ie. you call football soccer). Since, you know, football is the ACTUAL name.
3) And are therefore less punx.
4) But we kick more arse. And arse is a better word.

=D
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by DempseyPunk
So....Anyone like westbound train?...

Westbound Train is great. Not sure how you spell their singers name, but he's got a great voice. Songs like Soapbox are eventual classics I think.

Quote by TN_BOOTBOY

Just remember where the sport was invented fella
Quote by jakesmellspoo
a friend of mine just went to a big d show, then bitched about how there were too many ska bands.

Your friend is obviously really into Stroll.
and The Mafia and Waffle Stompers are awesome. Makes me jealous there's still a ska scene in New Jersey but there's not much of any type of scene in Ft. Worth
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
OK, I haven't been on here in a while, and I didn't wanna read through all the pages, but some newer ska bands that I'm really diggin are Hub City Stompers, Bigger Thomas, Green Room Rockers, The Debonairs, Westbound Train, Deal's Gone Bad, Eastern Standard Time, The Busters, The Aggrolites, and The Slackers. All really great bands that are more like 1st wave ska but with more modern lyrics. There are very few 3rd wave bands that I like. The Two Tone stuff is awesome. And of course Judge Dread, Prince Buster and Bad Manners will always be some of my favorites. 1st wave is where its at though. Love that stuff.

HCS is an offshoot of the singers old band Inspecter 7...Ive gotten laid at every Deals gone bad show Ive ever went to (I saw them play waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when they were first starting up in Chicago, followed by drunken nights at Delilahs bar) Bad manners rock....try and find some Skoidats music, they rule and a good band from Ft Wayne is called Heavy step (well they have not been a band for like 6 or 7 years, but they were outstanding) I saw the aggrolites open fo the Slackers at the Trubadour in West Hollywood back in '02, one of the most memorable shows Ive ever been to
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Quote by edudcixlsyd
Why is MMB left off of the Ska-core list?
and LoC

I always thought skacore was stuff with gutteral vocals. Like The Flaming Tsunamis.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
I always thought skacore was stuff with gutteral vocals. Like The Flaming Tsunamis.

Well, MMB coined the term skacore, so needless to say they qualify. but skacore=ska+hardcore. Gutteral vocals arent necesarry, juts needs an obvious hardcore influence. TFT are great thought.
nice to see some people with good taste love ska, and reggae, seems to have faded out recently though. just thought id share the love!
I saw the Supervillains open for Streetlight Manifesto a while ago. They're hands-down the most annoying and pointless band I've ever seen, and may have singlehandedly made me hate ska.

Also, the Wonder Years were on that tour; they play the style of pop punk that I hate, and attracted a bunch of hardcore dancing insecure toughguys to the show. I'd like to thank those two bands for ruining a Streetlight show for me, which is really hard to do, but god damn were they successful.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I got to see A Billion Ernies and We Are The Union a few nights ago. Hell of a show. We were supposed to play with WATU but the promoter canceled it to book a bigger show. So we called up WATU's booking people and they gave us the go ahead to book them another show. So the two bands playing at this venue downtown were cool enough to let ABE and WATU both on the show.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
I saw the Supervillains open for Streetlight Manifesto a while ago. They're hands-down the most annoying and pointless band I've ever seen, and may have singlehandedly made me hate ska.

Also, the Wonder Years were on that tour; they play the style of pop punk that I hate, and attracted a bunch of hardcore dancing insecure toughguys to the show. I'd like to thank those two bands for ruining a Streetlight show for me, which is really hard to do, but god damn were they successful.

I hate those bands too. So I sat in the bar and got tipsy until Streetlight came out
i saw one of those streetlight shows at starland. i didn't mind the supervillains, and i thought pothast was pretty funny, but the wonder years sucked ass and attracted all sorts of **** faces to the show that started pits in the back of the venue right in front of the stairs.