What do you guys rather learn. A song thats a step below your level, Or a song thats a step above your level. I think its always good to learn one thats above you and take longer to learn. Is that how i should be doing it?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
step above.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
if you play something below your level you'll never imrpove, so if it's for learning purposes you want to go a step above, but if it's for fun, a step below means you play a song flawlessly in less time
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
obviously you should go for a step above, but when i dont have an abundant amount of time to work on stuff, ill usually look up something i really like thats a little easier than what im used to (not a whole lot though) and learn it so whenever i get a chance i can play it out of bordom (i.e.: i go to school and in instrumental music class i'd rather play a whole song than just the main riff to a different song over&over)

thats just my thought though ^_^
i wouldn't choose either way...i just learn i want to learn anyway...doesn't matter if it's a step above my own skill or not xD
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
above... unless the song is so incredibly awesome that you wanna learn the easier one anyways
Quote by UltimaWeapon
i wouldn't choose either way...i just learn i want to learn anyway...doesn't matter if it's a step above my own skill or not xD

agreed
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
I don't look at how much skill a song takes, a song is a song, you play it to make yourself feel good either way. So whether it's three chords or a blazing solo all the way through, it doesn't make a difference to me. I never look at how much skill a song takes when I learn it.
If I'm trying to learn something from a song, I don't really care how difficult the piece is, I try to take what I liked from the song and learn that.

I believe you should look at some songs more difficult and require more time to learn but also play some easier songs as well. The easier stuff keeps you interested, the hard stuff makes you better.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Honestly, I usually just learn songs I like, which are ususally easy. Then the jazz stuff I learn at guitar lessons and all the other excercises I do are really what gets me better at playing.
It really doesn't matter as long as I like the song and like to play it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
There's two types of songs for me, those that are so easy I play through on the first or second run and never bother to remember, and those so complicated I get discouraged and do something else.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Playing something below your level is like playing what you already know, so you dont learn anything new, but dont try to learn something too hard for you level.