Basically i need help in creating my own riffs. I'm ok using power chords to make cool sounding riffs but they are ussually easy and unrewarding to play I quite struggle making riffs out single notes rather than chords of any description i have tried scale work and mixing scales up a bit but can't seem to make any kick ass riffs...which really pisses me off. I'm into bands like slipKnot, metallica, the mad capsule markets and that sort of stuff. I'm quite a good guita player [not amazing but alright] so yeah any help would be good. TA!
You're going to want to start learning other peoples' riffs first so you can get a feel for them.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by The Madcap
Study Music Theory?

I do a bit, but i'm not really sure if there's anything that would specifically help...
Learn the modes, and the minor scales (Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor), and the Augmented Fifth scale. You can make pretty dark melodies out of those.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Look into some different bands, I mean, Metallica and Slipknot are good but there's lots of bands doing something similar and maybe you should find new ideas from different sources.
Riffing is often more about rhythm than melody (or at least as much) so try playing with more interesting rhythms to get a more memorable riff.
There is poetry in despair.