EDIT: Go to last post.

Ok. Hey guys, maybe you remember my first thread from awhile ago. Well these are my follow-up questions after doing lots-o-research and things of that sort. I'm going to ask as many questions as I can think of to avoid another thread.

First of all, I probably won't be getting most of these things until around the holidays, but Hanukkah (yay jews) is the fourth of December and if I want to find good deals used on this stuff, I should probably start searching now.
OK... now that that's cleared up...

My first question is about a new amp. As you can see in my sig, I want to save up for the Deluxe Reverb RI. I finally got to crank it all the way up to ten in the back room of a guitar shop, and it may have been the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. I have no doubts that it is an amazing amp and I would be very happy with it. BUT, I've recently been hearing lots of sound clips of the Orange Rocker 30. One in particular that interested me was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znEBy3ghps This sounds really nice, and I actually have pretty good computer speakers too, but I haven't been able to try one out in person. If I buy either of these amps, I'm going to buy them used. If I get the Orange, I plan on getting the head and the 2x12 cab.The only problem is it's more than twice the price of the Fender...
A clean sound is most important to me. I play: FUNK FUNK FUNK, lots of old and new chili peppers, blues, hendrix, classic rock(mostly stones), some Scofield and some John Mayer, and some things like older Incubus. My originals are pretty (older, funkier) chili pepperish I guess. The od/dist channel on the Orange would be great to have, but I'll ask more about that a little later. My band recently broke up, but I plan on forming another one soon and I will be performing in smaller gigs with or without said band. so....
1. Which amp do you think is better for me?
2. The natural channel on the Orange sounds very nice on the demo. How do you compare it to the Fender?
3. There is no way I'm buying the Orange without trying it out. Guitar Center in Orange CT, the only guitar shop close to me, doesn't have them obviously, but I'm able to go into NYC, where there's shops like Manny's and Rudy's. Do you think they'll have them there?

OK, now I have some amp related pedal questions. These rig "updates" I'm doing are things that I don't want to have to replace. Meaning I want stuff I'm going to love in the long term. I wasn't thinking of that when I looked for the absolutely cheapest wah available. But anyway...
The pedals I've been looking at are:
NYC Big Muff
Line 6 FM-4 (With exp. pedal)
MXR Micro amp (for a clean boost for solos)
Visual Sound H20
Either the Gig-fx Kilo Wah or Fulltone Standard
possibly the planet waves pedal tuner

If I got these, I'd remove the crybaby and the Boss from my pedalboard. However, if I got the orange, I wouldn't need the big muff, because I could just use the dirty channel for crazier stuff, and the Muff'n for the crunchies. However I read somewhere that the Muff'n doesn't sound very good with tube amps, and I've also read that the Fender doesn't handle fuzz type stuff well, Big Muff or otherwise. I have only seen the mega-wah (not the kilo) on special order, so I haven't been able to try it yet, but I do have easy access to a Fulltone standard. The wah sound I'm going for is very "synthy" with a wider sweep. So...
1.What do you think I should do with the whole fuzz/od situation? Another possibility might be to get some type of TS because I know they shine with blackfaces, and use that and the Muff'n at the same time for crazies. Would that sound good or nasty?
2. If I can't find the Kilo-wah anywhere, do you think the Fulltone is the best substitute? I doubt I'll find a WH-10 for any reasonable price.
3. What do you guys think of the FM-4? The soundclips sound really awesome, but I haven't tried it out yet. Also, do you think the exp. pedal is worth it?
4. Also on the FM-4, with the exp. pedal, I could create a wah through one of the filter settings ( i forget which one) I doubt it would be passable, but it'd be really customizable and no doubt synthyish. What do you guys think?
5. Finally, is there any reason that any of these pedals wouldn't sound good with either amp?

Also, I know this isn't the right place, but I really don't want to start another thread.
I was thinking of maybe building a guitar sometime over the next year. If I do, it'll probably be some type of jaguar/jazzmaster or p.r.s. type guitar. I've really never done anything close to this before, so I guess what I'm asking is, is it hard? I'm not doing it anytime too soon, so I'll get all the manuals and tips later, but what do you think of that whole guitar building thing? It would be really awesome to have a guitar I built myself.

Wow, that was definitely the longest post I've ever written. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so be patient with me if I keep asking more questions.

Thanks so much in advance.

EDIT: I forgot one more thing. Those Traynor amps look really nice, but I don't know alot about them. I was recomenned those once before, but I never really looked into them. What about those?

EDIT2: The reason I want the FM-4 is to make lots of crazy cool synthy/filtery noises. In another time, I would be going for the HOG, but that's just way too expensive. I'm just telling you this to give you a good idea of what I'm going for.

GODAMNIT EDIT 3: I've been wondering about the Ernie Ball wah. There was a mini review on it in the latest issue of guitar world, but I've only seen it one website, which was non-U.S. In fact, there's barely anything about it on the ernie ball website. It looks awesome. Does anyone have any info on that?
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Oct 8, 2007,
i'm not much use with fx...

i haven't tried that specific amp, but i'd have thought a fendery clean would be better for funk than the oranges. orange owners may disagree, though, and also i'm not much of a funk guy.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for your help Dave.

I just found a good quality video of a guy using the ernie ball wah, and HOLY ****!!!It was probably THE nicest wah I've ever heard. I'm dead set on getting it now. If only I could try it in person.

Also, bump.

EDIT: I found a website in the U.S. selling the E.B. wah for only &175! Hellyeah.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Oct 7, 2007,
oh to answer one of your other questions, i think there's an orange dealer in NYC, but i can't remember who. check the orange website, or perhaps the websites of those stores you mentioned.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Again, thanks Dave, you've been the only one whose helped me here.

On final bumpo. There's a ton of different questions here, I know there's people here that can answer at least some of these questions.
I say go for the orange, beautiful amps, perfect for you
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by senor_penguin
I say go for the orange, beautiful amps, perfect for you

Thanks, except the only problem is that it's more than twice the price of the Fender. I'll have to try it out to see if it's really worth it.

Also bump yet again. This is rediculous guys, there definately at least one question on here that a bunch of people could answer.
^ yeah, i think your problem is it's really long. to be honest I only answered because i felt sorry for you, and hoped it'd persuade others to answer the bits i couldn't... unfortunately, that didn't work.

Treat this as another bump...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you have good taste in music
i would go for the fender becuase the orange doenst have eq on the clean channel so you wouldnt be able to tweak it for different clean tones like you could on the fender
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
as much as i love the orange (i've got a rocker 30 combo next to me atm which i'm borrowing) the fender is just better for you. and its cheaper. the orange's clean channel is great, but its more of a dirty amp IMO, the midgain sounds from this amp are godly. and it sounds like you want clean, clean and clean, and the fender will give you that, in abundance. also, i dn't think its worth twice as much as the fender, a lot of that is probably getting from here in the UK to you in the US. though you ncould try and find a used one around you and try it out. i hear you can get them for around $600 used. which is a more comparable price with the fender. i believe, unless i've got my pricings all wrong, which may be the case.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

yep, that's my main concern with the orange... its clean tone you pretty much have to take it or leave it, and it's possibly a bit too warm for funk. Orange's reputation is more based on its overdrive than its cleans at any rate... EDIT: to libskate, but it agrees with hairball too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 8, 2007,
Rudy's carries Orange.

I have a Fender DRRI. I love it. The cleans, reverb, and tremolo are all to die for.

It is NOT a loud amp. Despite the 22W, a Blues Jr is probably louder. The Orange Tiny Terror with a 1x12 would probably be louder. I don't understand why you'd be looking at the combo on the Fender rather happily, but need the Rocker 30 head with a 2x12. The combo would be more than enough. It's cleans are very nice, but if that's your focus, and Orange interests you, you should try out the AD30TC, too.

And, yeah, your post is really long. I read the amp part and started skimming...
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thanks slats, i knew i'd seen you say somewhere that one of the big NY guitar shops carried orange...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Once I read "Orange" and "need an excellent clean channel", I thought the AD30TC would be perfect for you. You can set one channel with a touch of gain, which will still sparkle, and the other channel as a nice lead tone.

If you're looking for a synth, try out the EH Micro Synthesizer. I'm looking to pick one up within the next few days as my buddies want me to play electronica. I'm not impressed, but I just like playing too much to give it up.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
YES! Thank you so much. I am certainly glad I got replies.

Slats, the only reason I'm happy with the DRRI as having one speaker is because it's bigger, and because the only way I could get another speaker is by going up to more wattage.

And thanks Dave and everyone else who posted, I think I'm just going to go with the DRRI, but I'll try the AD30, that seems like a good idea.

So since that post was waaay to long, I'll narrow it down to only a couple questions.

1. Is the Big Muff the best fuzz choice for me?

2.What are general opinions on the Line 6 FM-4?

3.Whats your favorite color?

4. Do you think I should just wing it, buy the Ernie Ball Wah for $175 online, and if I really don't like it, I could send it back?

(yay Jews)

Thanks a lot guys.
why did you say yay jews?
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
As much as Im an Orange lover the rocker is not the better choice for you, its cleans are good, but as people say, its a natural channel and may be too warm for funk, the fender will do funk much easier.

Also mentioned above is the Orange AD series, they have a real nice clean tone, but im not really familiar with the AD series too much, I dont know the exact tone of the clean (i.e. if its too warm again)
i guess you could try the ad30- i've only tried the ad15, but i suspect the eq etc. should help the cleans, should be a better bet than the rocker, i'd have thought. though I suspect the fender is still a better idea, it doesn't hurt to try everything you can.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?