Poll Options
View poll results: What do you Think
Underground
68 73%
Mainstream
25 27%
Voters: 93.
Page 1 of 2
Do you think it would be a better thing if heavy metal was main stream of underground?

The reason why i bring this up is because i saw on the Ug new about arch enemy and someone said "metal is becoming mainstream now" and that got me thinking what which do prefer?

Me, I want metal underground cause to me that is the last form of music that isn't fueled with censorship ,false reality ,sell-outs and untalented people that only play power chords than are proclaimed a great guitarist and the greatest band.

Hate me if you will but that is just a piece of my mind.
I agree with you.
But it is becoming a bit mainstream.
Now the jocks and abercrombie wearers at my school are starting to say they listen to slayer or megadeth to sound cool.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
it depends. When you say "go mainstream" do you mean bands get popular and are suddenly turned into censored corporate *****? Or do you mean everyone just listens to them and they stay the same?
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Well where I'm from there won't be as much love for heavy music like there would be in a place such as America.
I don't care.

It's not becoming mainstream just because of the Billboard. You'll still never hear extreme metal being played on the radio. There's still hundreds of artists that are beating them.

If anything, the popularity bands like Dimmu, Arch Enemy, and Cannibal Corpse have found is a testament to how dedicated the underground fanbase is. No TV play, no radio play, yet they still make it to the Billboard.
Quote by Inimical
I don't care.

It's not becoming mainstream just because of the Billboard. You'll still never hear extreme metal being played on the radio. There's still hundreds of artists that are beating them.

If anything, the popularity bands like Dimmu, Arch Enemy, and Cannibal Corpse have found is a testament to how dedicated the underground fanbase is. No TV play, no radio play, yet they still make it to the Billboard.

Arch Enemy gets TV play. Their videos are on Headbanger's Ball.

That's how I furst found out about them. When I used to(sadly) watch Headbanger's Ball, I saw the "Nemesis" video, and loved it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Mainstream.

Find me one person who doesnt know who metallica, black sabbath, iron maiden, slayer and judas priest are.
Quote by fallenangel20

That's how I furst found out about them. When I used to(sadly) watch Headbanger's Ball, I saw the "Nemesis" video, and loved it.

Headbanger's Ball is different then just typical TV play. It's a show aimed at people who like heavy music. A majority of the people who watch it are already into it.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
I agree with you.
Now the jocks and abercrombie wearers at my school are starting to say they listen to slayer or megadeth to sound cool.

As opposed to you, someone with a username like "Slaytanic" and a Slayer avatar that does it just for ****s?

It's people like you that are ruining metal. Jocks are listening to Slayer? Good for them. I'd say it suits athletic/adrenaline built people more so than you.

Frankly, I don't care. There will be bands that make it into the mainstream, and there will still be countless amounts of underground bands.
Quote by fallenangel20

Headbanger's Ball and Uranium are the exceptions.

I'm perfectly okay with metal becoming mainstream, so long as to really good band keep putting out really good music. I'll deal with the thousands of carbon copies in that case.
Quote by evan1234567
Mainstream.

Find me one person who doesnt know who metallica, black sabbath, iron maiden, slayer and judas priest are.

who?
I don't give a rats ass, personally. It doesn't affect me in any way. I don't listen to metal to feel like I'm really underground, or to make me feel badass or cool or what have you. I listen to metal because I like it. I don't care if anyone I know likes it or not, because what I get out of it is all I care about.
Quote by CowboyUp
I don't give a rats ass, personally. It doesn't affect me in any way. I don't listen to metal to feel like I'm really underground, or to make me feel badass or cool or what have you. I listen to metal because I like it. I don't care if anyone I know likes it or not, because what I get out of it is all I care about.

+1

Quote by Slaytanic6606
I agree with you.

Or maybe...... maybe they actually do
It's going mainstream, it's yet another dying genre where the more talented bands are overlooked by what can be sold easily.
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
i couldnt really care less,its the music,not the image thats important

your username made me lol.
Doesn't affect me too much, but if I have to pick I'd prefer it didn't go mainstream. It's just a little weird to see so many bands gain all this popularity in these past years. I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing. Hey, if more people are listening to Opeth now than after Still Life was released (hell, I wasn't even listening to them then...) then so be it. It adds certain things to the music, and it takes away others. As long as it doesn't become a TREND I won't really complain.
Quote by PT 2 DOOR RULE
If I have bad creepy dreams tonight, your ass is toast Still Life

Quote by skeptopotamus
Dream Sexy...dream Still Life...

Last.fm runs my life
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
i couldnt really care less,its the music,not the image thats important

That's the problem. If it becomes too mainstream bands will only focus on the image.

However, I know that no matter what there will always be a metal underground, the loyal devoted fans will not turn their backs on good Metal whether it becomes a mainstream trend or not. After all, the only way Metal bands like even Maiden and Metallica have gotten any fame was not through airplay or TV spots but through the underground.
I can understand some Metal bands getting airplay and TV spots but the entire music genre is essentially not a mainstream one. Simply put: Metal thrives in the underground.

...or perhaps I'm just spewing BS...Whatever floats your boat.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I don't think it matters. I'd prefer it if metal was all underground, but if it was, some of the good bands that exist today might not have.
I'm a communist. Really.
I pray that metal goes mainstream one day.

Not like sell out and play ****ty music, but that good metal goes mainstream....

can you guys see it? The whole world gone metal.....what a wonderful place it would be....
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I don't really care as long as it's good. Generally, the more mainstream bands will change their sound to fit more into the mainstream. So, it'll change quite drastically. So, yeah. As long it's good. I don't care.
Quote by The_Nightwish
Do you think it would be a better thing if heavy metal was main stream of underground?

The reason why i bring this up is because i saw on the Ug new about arch enemy and someone said "metal is becoming mainstream now" and that got me thinking what which do prefer?

Me, I want metal underground cause to me that is the last form of music that isn't fueled with censorship ,false reality ,sell-outs and untalented people that only play power chords than are proclaimed a great guitarist and the greatest band.

Hate me if you will but that is just a piece of my mind.

You refer to metal as the final fronteir of the underground. I think that is false. Punk is pretty much more underground than metal. But as a non-metal fan (I don't really listen to metal) I think it's great that metal is becoming mainstream. I mean, I'm ina band, and seeing underground genres making money and a difference motivaes me alot.
For something like metal (if you mean modern stuff) it being less commerical is almost always good imho.
Mainstream means more people listens to it and accept it, which means more fans for my favorite bands (as well as my own). I can't see a downside to be honest.
Well they say that metal is the genre which is never in fashion and never out of fashion. So by not being the most popular genre at any one time, it never gets boring and always outlives the other genres (apart from rock which is essentially running through almost everything of course).
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
Quote by dudetheman
I pray that metal goes mainstream one day.

Not like sell out and play ****ty music, but that good metal goes mainstream....

can you guys see it? The whole world gone metal.....what a wonderful place it would be....

It would be a terribly boring place actually.
Diversity is what makes life so great, thank you.

Edit: The the person that commented on image;
Hasn't metal ALWAYS been largely also about image? Ever since the Sabbath or Priest days, to the mass produced metal bands these days, every band in each niche or subgenre LOOKS the exact same to me.
Maybe regular clothes (or maybe Abercrombie, as Slaytanic said, haha) aren't METAL enough.
Last edited by doood321 at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
I'd love to wake up one morning and hear Cryptopsy being played on Radio Tay.

All my doubts, fears, and worries of Metal becoming mainstream have dissolved after reading this statement.
Quote by mcw00t

Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I wouldn't care if it got mainstream, just as long as it doesn't become a trend and the music doesn't change, but I don't think metal will ever be mainstream. There are some bands that are considered mainstream, like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, etc. that some people have still not heard of.
Underground. I can just imagine all of the poser metalheads if metal was mainstream. Besides, doesn't anyone remember what mainstream metal was? Hair metal. And then later on, nu-metal. Fucking horrid.

Of course stuff like Maiden, Priest, and Metallica have millions of fans, but I don't think they count as mainstream. Mainstream sort of means it has to be part of pop culture, right?
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I don't give a living crap whether metal is 'too mainstream' or whatever. Saying you dont like a band/genre because they're mainstream is THE worst, stupidest excuse not to like them EVER. You listen to music because you like it, not because no one or everyone listens to it. If thats so, you're just a scene kid to me

Finally, I've vented my opinion
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/velvetrevolver/ Join if you love Velvet Revolver!

Quote by Retro Rocker
Quote by Liberation
She looks like she'd belong in Motley Crue.
They also looked pretty hot back in the day.
I'm a guy, but I'd still bang Nikki.
Underground is almost always better, so money doesn't shape and mold the bands into something more average listener-friendly.
Dickless.
The genre itself is pretty mainstream. There are artists that are underground,but Metal is a mainstream genre. And just because something a band/artist mainstream, that doesn't mean they/he is a sell-out and untalented.

Sometimes I think people refuse to listen to mainstream because they just want to be different.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
I agree with you.

I have a similar experience at the moment, but at the moment there's a small amount ofmetal popularity, some metal bands have broke into the mainstream and the people lame enough to listen to just mainstream music will think they like metal. It happens every 10-15 years. It happened with the Black Album in 1992 and hair metal earlier. There's probably an up and coming grunge band ready to kill the metal uprising again.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by JC13
The only "metal" that will ever go mainstream, will probably be Nu Metal, or Metalcore, and 'round our part of the site, that stuff isn't metal. You can't ever tell me Cannibal Corpse will some day get as much play-time on MTV as Snoop.

edit: MetalMiltia^ Holy ****, that is a really good point that I forgot. I enjoy the fact that I can pay 20 dollars to see my favourite bands, and even meet/get my picture taken with them.. If everyone in the world liked them, those tickets would be 80 dollars and I'd be looking at them through binoculars.

Exactly, I can tell you right now that if people would pay for it, I'd charge $80 per seat. That's why it's better to just cut the temptation out.
Dickless.
IMO the rise in Metal popularity is solely based on the rise of the internet and web 2.0. For example when you go to sites with forums like this one you see so many people who are into it because the site caters to these people. Then others who aren't particularly fond of Metal learn more about it on the internet from those who do and maybe even find a band they like and tell their friends and so on. However, when you walk out onto the streets in the real world you'll be lucky to find 1 person out of 1000 who really enjoys Metal...at least where I live that's how it's like.

EDIT:
[quote="doood321Edit: The the person that commented on image;
Hasn't metal ALWAYS been largely also about image? Ever since the Sabbath or Priest days, to the mass produced metal bands these days, every band in each niche or subgenre LOOKS the exact same to me.
Maybe regular clothes (or maybe Abercrombie, as Slaytanic said, haha) aren't METAL enough.[/QUOTE"]

This is true to an extent, however, the music in Metal has always and should always been the main focus. Do you honestly think people would take some extreme Metal bands seriously if their music had no appeal?
Quote by mcw00t

Quote by elguitarrista3

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Oct 7, 2007,
Page 1 of 2