hey guys what are some good scales to use when soloing in metal. im looking at the harmonic minor and diminished. any else that are good?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Pentatonics

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Phrygian will serve you well.

If you want to get weird, try harmonic minor with a #4, whole tone scales, and mess around with some chromatics.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
natural minor, harmonic minor, phrygian, and yeah pentatonic minor i guess...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by troyponce

If you want to get weird, try harmonic minor with a #4, whole tone scales, and mess around with some chromatics.

Harmonic minor with a #4 is known as the Hungarian minor, or double harmonic minor, and IMO double harmonic scales (both major and minor) are the most exotic-sounding scales out there!
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Pentatonic minor, blues, natural minor, melodic and harmonic minor, whole tone, phrygian
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Do you want some actual tabbed scales? cause i've worked out a few. they aren't all one hundred percent right but the notes all sound prettly good together. here's one that i like for soloing

Tuning standard or dgcfad

d-12-14-15-17-19-20
a-12-13-15-17-19-20
f-12-14-16-17-19-20
g-12-14-16-17-19-22
a-12-14-16-17-19-22
d-12-14-15-17-19-20

These notes work out pretty well in just about every combination.
I think phrasing is more important than the scale your using. If you want to sound like someone (why does that sound lame to me?), either transcribe their licks or look at their tabs. Then analyze how they phrase and their style of playing.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
I think phrasing is more important than the scale your using. If you want to sound like someone (why does that sound lame to me?), either transcribe their licks or look at their tabs. Then analyze how they phrase and their style of playing.

Agreed.
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by BassTalk
Harmonic minor with a #4 is known as the Hungarian minor, or double harmonic minor, and IMO double harmonic scales (both major and minor) are the most exotic-sounding scales out there!

Hungarian implies the 5th mode of double harmonic, so the terms aren't quite interchangeable. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the proper naming. Either way, it was easier to tell him how to mod a scale he already knows than to send him off to teh googlez to find it himself.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
Hungarian implies the 5th mode of double harmonic, so the terms aren't quite interchangeable.

Well, if I remember correctly, then there's a double harmonic minor scale and a double harmonic major scale. And the formula I found for the Hungarian minor scale was exactly the same as that of the double harmonic minor scale. I might be wrong about this, though.
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
no scale is more "metal" than another. it's how you play the notes that matters.
recently i've been playing around with mixolydian (sp?) which is normally a bluesey sound but you can make it sound pretty damn sweet in metal.