I'm going to GC today to try out some guitars, and I'm looking for a good, I dunno, "Neutral" tube amp to use to test them. Something that'll reflect the guitar and not the amp.

Any suggestions?
really basic tube amps. the 5 watters are usually a good bet, but if you want to see how it handles metal then that's not really going to work well.

the best bet really is to try them through your amp, but shops don't necessarily stock them
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
The best thing is to try the guitar on your amp....if you try it on a Mesa Mark IV through a 4x12 pushing the master, you are going to be really disappointed when you take it home and it doesn't sing the same through the Marshall MG you have at home
Quote by sidereal9
yours

+1
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Through your amp, and if you know what you're doing and listening for, then through a clean fender twin, that'll let you hear every nuance of the guitar.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Id say a HRD if youre going to be playing cleaner stuff like blues, ect
Maybe a marshall combo if youre going to be doing more overdrive stuff
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
As low of wattage as possible so you can push the amp on the brink of OD then switch between guitars to get a feel of which ones have a higher output, brighter tone, darker tone etc.

Crate Polomino's are at most GCs. Maybe a Peavey Classic. Ask if you can take an amp to their loud room.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
see the thing with guitar center is for every amp they have these amazing cables that make the guitar always sound better than it really is.....why dont you go to a more.....less evil store.
say....sam ash, or a local store.
Yeah, it's the cables. I'm sure.
[/sarcasm]

I say use your own amp, or, failing that, a versatile-but-vanilla one like the Marshall Vintage Modern or Fender Supersonic so you can see how the guitar handles distortion as well as cleans.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
really basic tube amps. the 5 watters are usually a good bet, but if you want to see how it handles metal then that's not really going to work well.

the best bet really is to try them through your amp, but shops don't necessarily stock them

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they have never had a problem with me bringin my guitar to play on a amp i wanna but or bringing an amp in that i wanna try a new guitar out on
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
The best thing is to try the guitar on your amp....if you try it on a Mesa Mark IV through a 4x12 pushing the master, you are going to be really disappointed when you take it home and it doesn't sing the same through the Marshall MG you have at home

+1
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia