I have not much experience with amps and i am thinking of getting a new one. I am leaning towards the vox valvetronix 30 watt but i also have a marshall mg 50DFX. So, should i sell my Mg then get the vox or stick with MG?
gogogogogogo vox!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
you wont get any money for the marshall there really crap

the vox is better but i reccomend saving up and buying a decent amp

the vox would be ok though if you have the money...
Vox, I hate the mg series, I used to have one
Looking for a new sig!
you already have the marshall so dont get the vox, save up for longer and go for a bigger upgrade, you'll only want to replace the vox within the next year or 2, although the vox is much better than the MG
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^ agreed, storm. Basically, if you can do a straight swap, it might be worth it. However, if you only get like £50 back on your MG and have to fork out another £70 for the vox, it's probably not. Depends how fast you can save the money too, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LOL_Guitars
save up and buy any expensive tube amp and ull be set for life

And you'll constanly be trying to find a stadium big enough to crank it in....not to mention paying $200 for tubes every 3 years...ouch.

For a practice amp, I'd keep the MG because no one is going to hear it other than yourself. The vox is a little better but it's virtually no improvement at all; it's like putting a cold air intake in a Honda Civic, sure it's a little better now but it still sucks.

Maybe look into a 5-15watt class A tube combo (crate palomino, blues JR., Valve JR., JSX minicollosal) or just start saving for something more worthwhile.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by LOL_Guitars
save up and buy any expensive tube amp and ull be set for life

You don't need an expensive tube amp to be set for life. There are plenty of affordable tube amps that are professional quality.

Any of those amps that MESA mentioned are good.
the vox is a better choice between those two
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by MESAexplorer
For a practice amp, I'd keep the MG because no one is going to hear it other than yourself. The vox is a little better but it's virtually no improvement at all; it's like putting a cold air intake in a Honda Civic, sure it's a little better now but it still sucks.

Except Honda Civics are nice, and MGs are utter rubbish.

It's more like putting shiny rims on your Ford.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Definitely Vox my friend. I recently got a Vox as a replacemnt for an MG and I couldn't be happier
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
are you gigging? in a band?

if not then do what i did. buy a $100 epi 5watt head and pull the plugs off ur MGs speaker, add a 1/4" input $3. and use the mgs speaker.

if you want different tones add pedals.
will stiill cost less than the vox, will intro you into the world of tube.

is great for home use and isnt expensive, so you can save until you're ready to gig.

you can always plug the MG speaker back in if you need crappy power to be heard over a drummer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ One problem. Alot of guys who buy MGs buy them thinking they'll do metal, an EVJ might sound nicer, but you'll never get near metal tones.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
he can always pick up a nano metal muff or some other for under $60, sounds fine too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^ As long as it doesn't get too muddy, that's a good idea.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Except Honda Civics are nice, and MGs are utter rubbish.

It's more like putting shiny rims on your Ford.
Ford>Civic

An MG is like an, MG!

British, Small, Unreliable...
Quote by FRDesign
Ford>Civic

An MG is like an, MG!

British, Small, Unreliable...

Except real MGs are fun to tinker with...

And if you can find me a Ford that runs like new with 500 000+ on it, I'll agree with you.
</hijack>
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
the Vjr takes pedals well. the metal muff sounds good for the cash. it's not uber metal, but it's closer than a vox.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by STABxYOU
Except real MGs are fun to tinker with...

And if you can find me a Ford that runs like new with 500 000+ on it, I'll agree with you.
</hijack>

My neighbor has a ford aerostar with about 700,000 miles on it...

Civics are still slow, which was my point behind the statement. Unless you're dropping about $6000 into that car (H22 or K20, Turbo or Cams/Rollerrockers/Exhaust/Intake work/lighter materials) , it's pointless for performance.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by FRDesign
By then you could have bought a Much nicer car.

My point exactly!

Saturn Ion Redline FTW! $20,000 new, very nimble and quick...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by jj1565
are you gigging? in a band?

if not then do what i did. buy a $100 epi 5watt head and pull the plugs off ur MGs speaker, add a 1/4" input $3. and use the mgs speaker.

if you want different tones add pedals.
will stiill cost less than the vox, will intro you into the world of tube.

is great for home use and isnt expensive, so you can save until you're ready to gig.

you can always plug the MG speaker back in if you need crappy power to be heard over a drummer.

[HYPOCRISY ALERT]yeah, and judging by these pics, jenny spent the money she saved on booze...[/HYPOCRISY ALERT]

i mean, +1. though metal through a VJ is iffy, your pedal would need to be doing most of the work.

and nice vintage 70's carpet there, jenny.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think it'll go well with a certain couch i saw around here the other day.

and yeah, the pedal does the work on the heavy stuff, but same goes for the vox.
and what do you expect for an amp that costs about the same as a pedal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

trust people to notice a tiny portion of carpet lol

edit: i missed the pedal pic.. i was looking at the EV/MG thing..
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 8, 2007,
haha, you have to bring up the furniture in the pic...

and yeah, jenny, good point.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565
the Vjr takes pedals well. the metal muff sounds good for the cash. it's not uber metal, but it's closer than a vox.

Is that a behringer EQ? How is it? I'm getting one soon.
^it is actually. and yes, i was shocked at how quiet it is in my rig.
just dont max out the volume level.

that's really all i wanted from it. a cheap, quiet boost.
be warned tho, it's got a plastic shell.

and haha^^^ it's actually a throw rug i tossed some gear on, cause it's soft and i like to play barefoot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so you turn on all your pedals barefoot... doesn't that hurt? those metal muff switches look pointy... EDIT: i probably lose about a bazillion br00talz points for this...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
LAf, yeah sometimes it's a bit rough, but you know i eat my wheaties.

i try to use my fuzzy slippers, but then i might fumble and miss my cue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

arg, that is a predicament.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that little valve jr would look great on top of my kustom kga 65. since the amp portion in on the top. definitely gonna snag one of those someday.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.