how come like guitar amps are like 100wats 120 max but like if u go to a car audio place they have like 1000 watts in the car and it dont sound much louder than a 100w tube
My guess would be that you usually crank amps, while the car stuff is never as loud as it can be (there'd be clipping, right?).

Although I honestly don't have any facts about that.
Because power doesn't = volume

And guitar amps are made to colour the sound- sterios tend to be higher power so as to reproduce the sound efficentlywith no change

EDIT:

A 100 watt amp is only double the volume of a 10 watt amp
But it mostly comes down to speakers aswell, as it depends on how much air is being moved
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by philipisabeast
Because power doesn't = volume

And guitar amps are made to colour the sound- sterios tend to be higher power so as to reproduce the sound efficentlywith no change

Ahh, that's pretty much what I ment. Also, remember that to get twice the volume, you'd need 10x the power. Or something.
Those 1000 watt amps would be for woofers and such. You need more power for the lower frequencies (just like with bass amps).
i hate always having to explain to my cousins that my 100watt guitar amp is much louder than their 1200watt car stereo
It also has to do with peak and RMS power values. Car stereos tend to quote their peak powers, which is the most power the stereo can deliver in a single instant, whereas guitar amps quote Root Mean Squared (RMS) powers, which is an average of the power over a longer time, and is a much more accurate representation of how "loud" it is
sound production and sound REPRODUCTION are 2 different things entirely.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Crimson_tornado
It also has to do with peak and RMS power values. Car stereos tend to quote their peak powers, which is the most power the stereo can deliver in a single instant, whereas guitar amps quote Root Mean Squared (RMS) powers, which is an average of the power over a longer time, and is a much more accurate representation of how "loud" it is

+1
Erm...Guitar amps, the good ones anyway, run on Tubes or Valves, whatever you like to call them.

Car hi-fi systems work using trannies and integrated circuits. Therefore they occupy a much smaller space, therefore they can cram more power into something small. So they do. Just to make the chavs happy.

Ever seen the crate powerblock amp? It's 100 watts, and it's the size of a large shoe. Because it runs on transistors. Any 100 watt amp running on tubes would be big and heavy, and unsuitable for car use.

In-car audio systems have small speakers. Most guitar speakers are 12 inches wide.

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but it's one of the factors.
Quote by mr_hankey
Those 1000 watt amps would be for woofers and such. You need more power for the lower frequencies (just like with bass amps).

+1
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids