7 23%
Marshall
9 29%
Save up for Krank
3 10%
Other (Please Specify)
12 39%
Voters: 31.
Ok, so I'm getting a half stack. I don't have the money for it yet, so I'll have time to think about this. So I want the most metal amp I can get for this price. I want the amp with the most distortion possible, and the greatest tone I can get. So here's what I've been thinking (in terms of brands)
(In order)
Line 6
Randall
Marshall
or I could save up forever and get Krank

Now I'm being fairly open-minded here, so other suggestions are welcome. The reason I'm making this thread is because I had my mind set on Line 6, but I've found that reviews show very VERY mixed feelings about Spider III amps and it concerned me. So I've done more research, but I'd like people's first-hand expiriences with these amps. Please post stories, suggestions, and any other comments that my help me with my desicion. Please stay within this price range, unless you choose the Krank option. If you make a suggestion for an amp that's not on the list, please leave a link to the particular amp you're talking about. And remember, Metal. Thanks in advance!
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
for metal, a peavey 5150. don't expect great cleans though. it definitly has ALOT of gain.
krank is overrated, but still quite nice though, just overpriced.
line 6 spiders are not good, they sound digital. the 'good' line 6 amps are flextones, the HD 147, and the vetta II.
5150/6505, 6505 has better cleans now. you could get a moded 5150 that has better cleans or get an engl.
Definately not a marshall for metal. You might want to check out beside the 5150/ 6505 a Engl Fireball or Engl Blackmore or maybe a Laney GH50L. If I were you I wouldn't buy any of the amps you listed in the poll, but hey, that's just me
Why are you listing brands and not specific amps? It seems as though you're just going to save up for something that you've heard of but not heard.

For a half stack under $1,000 I recommend the following heads used:6505 or 5150 heads, Mesa/Boogie F-100 Head, Line 6 HD-147 head, Mesa MkIII, Peavey XXX, B-52At100, Line 6 Flextone II head, Randall Warhead, Randall V2, T2, or V1.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by faust2016
Definately not a marshall for metal. You might want to check out beside the 5150/ 6505 a Engl Fireball or Engl Blackmore or maybe a Laney GH50L. If I were you I wouldn't buy any of the amps you listed in the poll, but hey, that's just me

+1
My JCM 800 kicks mucho's ass for 80's metal, even the newer stuff with the right equipment. I can recommend it if you like some older thrash type of stuff. Slayer and a lot of other bands still plays with them so you can hear what it sounds like.

Besides, certainly check out some Peavey's. The reason I took the Marshall is because of the cleans and it sounded better to me, the Marshall has less gain but I got pedals.
5150/6505 are good choices. The 5150 is my second favourite.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Ok, so everyone seems to like Peavey 5150's so far. So does anyone have any idea where I can get one new and for less than 1000? Or does it need to be used to be in that price range?
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Used would be your best bet - Ebay.

Have a look at your local guitar store.

On some sites there brand new for $1199, 999
engl powerball
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Mesa F-30/F-50, great, liquidy-smooth distortion (and lots of it), VERY nice cleans and really cheap now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Do not get a krank haha, from what i've heard you can get much better for much cheaper. Maybe the peavey 6505 or the JSX or some Mesa rectofier.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Would the Peavey be able to do some hard rock (a la Guns n Roses, maybe something like Wolfmother, Zeppelin...etc)?
Quote by Carlos&Cambria
Would the Peavey be able to do some hard rock (a la Guns n Roses, maybe something like Wolfmother, Zeppelin...etc)?
No, But a used JCM800 would.