Hey everyone, a UG newb here!

I've been playing for about a year now, and I can seriously play everything I want to, except Battery by Metallica! It's completely driving me insane! From what I've heard more people have (had) problems with this song, so I'm sure SOMEONE will know.

I can alternate pick and crosspick just fine, it's just that "gallop-pattern" that I can't seem to play. I can play
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
at Battery's tempo easily, but it's leaving some of them out that messes me up:
0---0-0-0---0-0-0---

What's the key to playing this thing?!

Thanks!
well is you can play anything you want play something else like some Becker or Vai stuff.
Treat each unpicked note as if you were picking it to keep the pattern of your alternate picking. Does that make any sense?

Edit - ^Maybe he doesn't want to.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Hold Your Pick So That Theres Barely Any Pick Showing. Thats How I Gallop. The Less Pick The Better.
sorry for this basic answer, but try to do it slowly. then increase the speed slightly, bit by bit. You'll get there,

good luck
You have to synchronise up and downstrokes. It's not hard.

U= upstroke
D= downstroke

D  D U D  D U D  D U D  D U D
E|--0--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0--

You have to pretend that there's a fourth note between the two downstrokes. In that time, don't actually pick, but move up.
Wow, thanks a lot everyone for the quick (though not always helpful, like Metallica!s answer, hehe) reply!

@ C_O_B_H_C<>DIME, thanks a bunch! That helped a lot! Finally I can play this thing. Such a relief that it's not any physical inability, hehe. Just stupidity.
well you can practice it all day at a slow tempo and just increase it little by little, what i did was that i palm muted it until i got the tempo right, pretty much a palm mute and a down stroke for me, dont ask how that worked for me, but it did, just dont do it that way when it comes to the first mini solo cause you will mess up the solo
hope that helps you
Quote by Metallica!
well is you can play anything you want play something else like some Becker or Vai stuff.

BECKER IS A GOD
Quote by sashki
You have to synchronise up and downstrokes. It's not hard.

U= upstroke
D= downstroke

D D U D D U D D U D D U D
E|--0--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0--0-0-0--

You have to pretend that there's a fourth note between the two downstrokes. In that time, don't actually pick, but move up.

Yes, that's exactly how.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
keep the pick goin at a constant timing, notice how the beats missing are all upstrokes, and like the more strummish technique, play ghost notes, meaning u move ur hand but dont make contact with the string, it took me a while at first to learn that riff without feckin up the timin, but now it seems very easy. and when you learn an awkward thing like this, other more complex pickin patterns become very easy.
if you want an excercise to help playing rythym like battery, try she wolw by megadeth.

"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
when i play battery i dont think of any "extra" or ghost notes in between just do the down, up down, and time it right. Tap ur foot on the ground and each time ur foot hits do the gallop. That might help.