ok when you apply "stripes" does the stripe color go on first and then you put the tape on.Or do you apply the second color and then put the tape on for the stripes?
thanks,

mike .n
what? are you gonna spray paint your guitar?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Stripe Colour on first, then put tape where you want the stripes to go.
Then spray/paint where there's no tape
paint the body the color of the stripes then tape off the stripes you want and then apply the body color, the stripes will remain the color under the tape
Guitars
Agile 3100 Lp with Floyd Rose @ SD classic blues pups
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive
dunlop 535q
great thanks.but i was thinking something like 3-4 different color stripes.what do i do then?
oh and i'm looking for a gloss like finish that will add that layer of protection but not interfere with the matte stripes.any ideas?
thanks,

mike .n
Quote by mike .n
great thanks.but i was thinking something like 3-4 different color stripes.what do i do then?
oh and i'm looking for a gloss like finish that will add that layer of protection but not interfere with the matte stripes.any ideas?
thanks,

mike .n

That means 4-5 colors. Ideally, you'd have to wetsand each of the stripes' borders so they don't form these ugly ridges/demarcation lines that you'd feel through the clearcoat.

Plan your color sequences and stripe applications so the paint build-up won't create those demarcation lines and valleys.

if you want multiple colors of stripes then start by painting (larger than the stripes) areas that are taped off (the areas you don't want to paint with that color should be covered)- so kinda the opposite of what everyone has said. Do the colors one at a time covering the others when you do each new one, then, once all the colors are roughly down, go back and tape over the colors where you want the stripes to stay just as everyone has already explained. you might want to be generous with primer just to make sure that the main coat (not the stripes) is even across all the colored areas.

I don't know for sure, but that's how I'd do it.