What upgrade to my stock MIM Jazz would improve my bass the most? I'm getting some flatwounds and I have a new pickguard, but what about hardware? I am going for a deep warm reggae tone if that matters. Thanks for your responses.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Try a Badass II and some new tuners for starters. You might also want to upgrade the pickups to Samarium Cobalt Noiseless.

SCN's are great pickups, or you could go with some Basslines pickups as well...either way it's a good choice. I pretty sure Fitzy is a fan of the SCN's, he could probably give you a bunch of good reasons to get them...
Quote by jsbassboy
I'm pretty sure Fitzy is a fan of the SCN's, he could probably give you a bunch of good reasons to get them...

That would be nice, and necessary before I would buy them, seeing as they cost almost 200$.

Also, I noticed that some people gave the Badass II bride some bad reviews because it is hard to install, and some people had to drill new holes(?). There shouldn't be any problems if i get a professional to install it right?
You can even buy the bridge in some places with the saddles filed already. I'd reccomend that and some new tuners, particularly Hipshot. They make some very nice tuners, and a D-Tuner would be cool for Reggae. Talk about deep! After that, I'd reccomend pickups, like everyone else. I'd suggest basslines, EMGs, or SCNs. With any of them, you're getting a quality product. There is also some sort of jazz preamp floating around the net that's getting VERY good reviews, I forget the name of it. I'd ask thefitz if I were you, he's a master of all things "bassy"
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Maybe the J-retro? I don't know if that's what you're talking about but, it's getting glowing reviews from many members on this board.

That's it
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Try a Badass II and some new tuners for starters. You might also want to upgrade the pickups to Samarium Cobalt Noiseless.

+1
these are the best mods you can do, in the right order of priority. just know, for that money you could get a used Geddy Lee, or Hwy 1 Jazz. spend $400 on a $300 bass, what do you have? a $300 bass. i'm not against modifications, but you have to consider the end result. just a point, to ponder.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
+1
these are the best mods you can do, in the right order of priority. just know, for that money you could get a used Geddy Lee, or Hwy 1 Jazz. spend $400 on a $300 bass, what do you have? a $300 bass. i'm not against modifications, but you have to consider the end result. just a point, to ponder.

he does have a good point...consider your costs, especially for the SCNs, to see if its not worth it to buy a good midrange bass like the Geddy Lee
Well I paid about 600$ CDN for the bass, I figure I can afford to put 100-200 into it. So I think I'll go with the bridge and tuners for now. I think the pickups might not be worth it at this point seeing as I'm sure I'll buy a new bass in a year or two.

Thanks for your help guys.
Quote by NC777
That would be nice, and necessary before I would buy them, seeing as they cost almost 200$.

Also, I noticed that some people gave the Badass II bride some bad reviews because it is hard to install, and some people had to drill new holes(?). There shouldn't be any problems if i get a professional to install it right?

i had to drill holes for mine when i got a BAII.... thats because it was some no name ****ty as bass....... wasnt meant to fit properly..........it said right on the package of the bridge direct replacemnt for fender P or J bass..........should fit like a glove

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
i had to drill holes for mine when i got a BAII.... thats because it was some no name ****ty as bass....... wasnt meant to fit properly..........it said right on the package of the bridge direct replacemnt for fender P or J bass..........should fit like a glove

it should use the same holes as the existing bridge on fender basses