yea of course, but i need a noise gate, flanger and chorus and so i've everything in one tool
i've heard some nice things about the g-major...so maybe anyone can confirm that
Last edited by dickeskind at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
multi-effects are never as nice as separate pedals
what effects are you looking for ?

Apparently you've never heard of TC Electronics.

The G-system and G-force are obviously going to be their best stuff but the G-Major is a lot of bang for your buck. Great buy for great effects.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^+1
I think it's one of the best rack units for the buck. The fx are excellent, and it's a road proven unit. I've seen it on a lot of live rigs. Their chorus and delays are top notch imo.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
You should really search for G-Force, G-sharp, G-Major, and G-system on youtube. There are quite a few really good vids of it in action.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Apparently you've never heard of TC Electronics.

The G-system and G-force are obviously going to be their best stuff but the G-Major is a lot of bang for your buck. Great buy for great effects.

nope you're right.

you're not going to say that a multi-effect is gonna sound better than those effects in quality stompboxes, do you ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
nope you're right.

you're nto going to say that a multi-effect is gonna sound better thzan those effects in quality stompboxes, do you ?

I would much rather have a TC system than a chain of boss pedals or a Digitech chain.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ but would you take it in front of a chain of fulltone, mxr, ehx, proco zvex, and moog pedals?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by The red Strat.
you're nto going to say that a multi-effect is gonna sound better thzan those effects in quality stompboxes, do you ?

No one is saying that.

However there is a line within the realm of multieffects that separates the "low quality, built for noob's, generally frowned upon" processors from those that actually serve as very high quality stage and studio tools. TC has been one of the leaders in studio quality multieffects for years. Though the very subjective issue of tone generally favors the stompboxes, the level of versatility (and often reduced cost) offered with high end multieffects units makes them very attractive for working musicians.

The G-Major is the entry point into the realm of higher end multieffects units.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by ssguitar
^ but would you take it in front of a chain of fulltone, mxr, ehx, proco zvex, and moog pedals?

Would you rather spend $2000+ for 10-20 pedals or have about 90 choices for about $1,200?

And the fact that TC Electronics is MIDI friendly, you're not going to have to spend another load of cash on cables to connect them all together, pedalboards, or power supplies.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ssguitar

I would, based on the fact that I can control it (and everything else) from one Midi board; I can have the individual effects settings changed for every program; I could sell my tuner; I would end up saving loads of money in the long run by not having to buy 14 different delays; etc.
Quote by ssguitar

If you're comparing those to a TC Gmajor, it's a bad comparison. 1 used Moog pedal is about the same price as a used Gmajor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well i make my pedal boards (not to steep), yea cables and power supples do it for me. would i rather have one over the other, idk. i never played with a midi friendly rack unit. all ive ever done is use single effects. i would rather carry in 2 suitcase sized cases on 20 pedals then a full rack unit. but this is all just judging on the racks ive seen. so i may be way off.

but i guess the big thing in question here is wheather the single effects are worth that extra $800+ for that tone. when it comes to the GT-8, ME-50, etc i say most def. but ive never played the G-major or any of the TC Electronics deale-O's lol. Doesnt Petrucci use something like that?

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Petrucci's rig is almost entirely rackbased. If you see pics of his rack, he only has like 4 stompboxes but he doesn't use effects too heavily.

Lets say you have a song that is chorus+ delay during the clean part, and for the dirty part you need more OD, a different delay, and phaser. With a rackmount setup such as the ones TC offers, you can switch between those 2 with a push of a button on a MIDI floorboard. With individual pedals you have to hire an octopus to engage and disengage all the pedals at once.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
yea i considered going out and starting a rack unit but i dont plan on having more than 5-6 pedals anyway. good wah, OD, chourus, delay, maybe a phaser, and a loopstation (for home use only). thats about it. nothing too elaborate. but i see your point on the rack.

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Consider also that a well featured Midi controlled rack setup can potentially cut out 20 feet of cable from your signal path, offer true bypass on everything, save space by putting it all in one unit or you could get one of those rack/head cases that serves as a padded case for your head, with a 6 space rack built in...and it's on casters.
yea true. i see the point of racks, but just for playing locally around here you have an a amzing setup if you have a tube amp, and 2 pedals, and a channel swticher for your amp. So introducing a rack unit to this town would be crazy. I only know like a handful of people around here wiht a rack. and one guy i really want to see his band play. its grindcore, not really my thing, but they are better (on myspace) then alot of the grindcore bands i have heard around here. i think he has a G-major, ISP, and i think a dual recto. not sure of his amp, as i havent seen him play yet. im just going off what he said

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
hmm.. this got me thinking.. I might want a G-major :P
What price are they usually going for new and used in Europe?
The nice thing about rack mount units is that less cable is needed (which can degrade your sound). Say you have all your effects pedals going through your effects loop on your amp (you use the distortion from your amp... not from pedals). If you connect to a rack mount and set it on top of your amp you only need a two 1' cables to connect it.

If you're running pedals you'll need a very long cable to connect everything so the pedals can be in front of you on stage. Say 14' probably? So that's an extra 28' of cable just to run your effects. I've heard differences in my sound between 7' and 14' cables. I can only image what that would do to your sound at an extra 28' of cable.
Quote by ssguitar

Yes...yes I would. To me, moog boxes have always sounded like toys. To each his own. I'm not knocking them, they're just not for me. With the others, I can build most of them, so no need to buy them. I prefer ultra-crisp effects, and digital provides that for me. The TC stuff is top notch...my next pedal will either by the TC Nova Delay or the Eventide TimeFactor. It's hard to decide between the two of them.
^ thats cool. i just cant see me with a full out rack system

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Yeah, I can appreciate some digital effects- delays, reverbs, pitch shifters, etc. all sound better digital. The g-major is well worth the money.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by ssguitar
^ thats cool. i just cant see me with a full out rack system

Well the truth is, you don't really need a full-out rack system to use something like the G-Major. I'm used to keeping stuff on top of my amp anyway...that's about the extent of any rack I've ever used. For the most part, I always have a delay pedal sitting on top of my amp anyway. At some point I noticed that I never turn it off, so why keep it on my pedalboard anymore? Now it just camps on top of the amp, always on. The same can be said for a single rack unit. I would just buy a single spaced rack, bolt some taller rubber feet to the bottom of it and just park it on top of my amp. A cable to the input, a cable to the output and a MIDI cable. Done. Not much else you have to do. If I wanted to do amp switching, I'd invest in an Amp Gizmo (that's the actual name of the device...look it up, it's chock full of bad ass). A two-space rack, another MIDI patch cable (linked to the G-Major) and the custom amp cable for the channel switching and we're ready to go.

For most rack systems, you just have to plan ahead. You don't need a gigantor rack to have good tone. Take a look at what Steve Vai has done with his rig. The racks are gone and they've been replaced by (GASP) a floorboard based multi effect unit. The G-System is just about the same thing you'll get from the G-Major, except you don't get the pretty amp switching, effects loops and other gizmos. Petrucci could probably do the same, but from what I've read from his guitar tech, Petrucci has this mental thing about tone (more gizmos mean better tone).