try putting the mic in the center of a speaker. Page used to put his mics pretty far away from his amps b/c he thoutht distance = Depth. just experiment with placements to sewe which gives u good sound.
dynamic mic = amps

condenser mic = acoustics, vocals

thats my rulee....sooo...

soo get yourself a dynamic mic and i usually record it at the middle of the amp...or a bit to the left. :]

i was goin to try out that stealth plug majig cause it sounded cool, anyone tryed it yet?
Quote by qotsa1998
try putting the mic in the center of a speaker. Page used to put his mics pretty far away from his amps b/c he thoutht distance = Depth. just experiment with placements to sewe which gives u good sound.

Putting them in the middle of the speaker cone will sound honky and ****ty. And I dont like Pages tone anyway

Try sticking it half way between the middle and the outside of the speaker, and experimenting from there. Have the mic almost touching the grill cloth but not quite.

Shure SM57s are sorta considered the standard for miking guitar cabs. They have a lot of mid and highs and can be somewhat honky. I have an Audix i-5 which is great and less mid heavy so its a little thicker, but its all about preference.
Quote by Tomamo5
dynamic mic = amps

condenser mic = acoustics, vocals

thats my rulee....sooo...

soo get yourself a dynamic mic and i usually record it at the middle of the amp...or a bit to the left. :]

i was goin to try out that stealth plug majig cause it sounded cool, anyone tryed it yet?

Bad rule....

Plenty of people use condenser mic's on amps, hell my old band did in studio and it sounded ****ing great. You have to be careful though, condenser mics are way more fragile. And I hope you know thats not all dynamics and condensers are used for
Quote by Say Ocean
Bad rule....

Plenty of people use condenser mic's on amps, hell my old band did in studio and it sounded ****ing great. You have to be careful though, condenser mics are way more fragile. And I hope you know thats not all dynamics and condensers are used for

haha...the thing is...i dont even have a condenser mic yet...mind i tried loads out, its fun :] haha. im a real expert 8-)
The next mic im picking up for vocals alone will be a Studio Projects B1.

I don't do many vocals but its nice to have a quality vocal mic just a friend of mine wants to do a CD or something.

Condensers do pick up more sound but need to be handled with care
Both condenser and dynamic can be used on amps but amps put out so much sound its best to use dynamics with them because condensers dont enjoy extremely loud sounds.

Since your voice isn't as loud as a large speaker from say a guitar amp IMO condensers are better for vocal recording. You do need a pop filter to protect a condenser mic when using them for vocals though.
Quote by Tomamo5
haha...the thing is...i dont even have a condenser mic yet...mind i tried loads out, its fun :] haha. im a real expert 8-)

Haha I don't own one either pretty ****ing expensive. I should be getting a couple KSMs pretty soon though
Quote by moody07747
The next mic im picking up for vocals alone will be a Studio Projects B1.

I don't do many vocals but its nice to have a quality vocal mic just a friend of mine wants to do a CD or something.

Condensers do pick up more sound but need to be handled with care
Both condenser and dynamic can be used on amps but amps put out so much sound its best to use dynamics with them because condensers dont enjoy extremely loud sounds.

Since your voice isn't as loud as a large speaker from say a guitar amp IMO condensers are better for vocal recording. You do need a pop filter to protect a condenser mic when using them for vocals though.

Yeah condensers have a more accurate high end making the suitable for overheads on drums, vocals, and acoustic instruments. If you do use it for a guitar cab, back it up from the speaker a bit. Never use one for a kick drum mic
Don't start with a condenser. They rarely work better for guitar amps as they have such a narrow bandwidth. Its like putting a 10,000 RPM tachometer on a tractor.
Well of course you wouldn't START with a condenser if you're just starting to record, but condensers work pretty ****ing well for guitar amps if you have the right mic and the right knowledge. Just depends on the situation