Page 1 of 2
try it first, if you like it, i say go for it, they're sweet guitars
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
There's better for the price, trem is crap, it'll fall apart in weeks, maybe days. I haven't really gotten a chance to try out the pickups thoroughly, but yeah, there's so many better guitars out there for a better price.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
they look incredible. and Muhammed Suicimez(sp) uses one, so they probably are excellent for a non-US guitar.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
There's better for the price, trem is crap, it'll fall apart in weeks, maybe days. I haven't really gotten a chance to try out the pickups thoroughly, but yeah, there's so many better guitars out there for a better price.

Days? You are exaggerating a little bit.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE

Maybe I am, but if it keeps him away from it, I did my job.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Yeah, I'll say. What's next, "Edge III goes off in a volatile explosion fifty nine seconds after purchase"?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Yeah, with a Japanese voice coming from the guitar saying: "This tremolo system will selfdestruct in 5, 4, 3, 2...". :p

No, the guitar itself is awesome looking and well built, but it's a shame Ibanez put their worst trem on it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by edwardthegreat5

YES, THE EDGE III IS BAD!

But, and this is a major but, it's not as bad as many people make it out to be. Sure they wear out a lot quicker than higher quality ones, but they don't "fall apart after days" .
If you have an Edge III properly set up it can be quite decent, atleast until it wears out. I'm not an Edge III fan, but judging by the responce a person gets when contemplating buying a guitar like this, these trems must be getting worse everyday.

Right, with that being said, let's move on to the Xiphos. Apart from the trem (which can be swapped/blocked) the guitar seems great on paper (I say on paper, because I haven't tried one yet): neck through, DiMarzio Pickups, cool design and nice cosmetic touches like a reversed headstock.

From what I've read and heard these are great guitars, again the only complaint being the trem.

Like I said before, if you get this guitar and block/swap out the trem it'll be one mean guitar; you don't have to, but I'd reccomend doing so.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by pifty
Yeah, I'll say. What's next, "Edge III goes off in a volatile explosion fifty nine seconds after purchase"?

actually i've heard they have a poison-release system which stabs you in the wrist.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by edwardthegreat5

arsehole

the trem is made form a softer alloy than the edge pro, its not THAT bad, get a good setup and it will last you a few years..then you may need to replace it..which isnt a massive expensive job tbh.

fantastic guitars, great pups in them
Quote by godofshred
arsehole

the trem is made form a softer alloy than the edge pro, its not THAT bad, get a good setup and it will last you a few years..then you may need to replace it..which isnt a massive expensive job tbh.

You hurt my feelings

What I'm saying is, why get a guitar that you'll have to replace the trem in a year or so, when you can get one for a cheaper or better price that has a trem that will last you for a very long time and holds tune better?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
You hurt my feelings

good

Quote by edwardthegreat5
What I'm saying is, why get a guitar that you'll have to replace the trem in a year or so, when you can get one for a cheaper or better price that has a trem that will last you for a very long time and holds tune better?

no, what im saying is that he might want the feel, sound and looks of the xiphos.
if he wants it, let him get it and maybe need to replace the trem later on.

hell, the lotrs trem on my guitar has lastedd me 3 years...
So what do you recommend thats better?

The XPT700 is 800 euro by the way.
With the trem properly setup, it will last more than long enough for you to figure out whether you like floating trems or not. If you do not like it, then you can block it, if you do you can swap it for an OFR (not a hard opperation).

Apart from the issues one might have with the trem, it is a fine guitar, with great pickups, a nice Ibanez neck and kickass cosmetics.
i'd prefer an rg1570, but i freely admit i haven't tried the xiphos. the 1570 is MIJ, while the xiphos isn't, to the best of my knowledge... as i said, I haven't tried the xiphos, but it's no contest between a prestige MIJ ibanez and a non-MIJ one, in my experience...

of course, the 1570 doesn't have the neck-thu, br00talz looks, or nice pickups. so if any of those concern you, you might need to look elsewhere...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Xiphos is Indonesian.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by godofshred
arsehole

+1
i have one, and the guitar is EXCELLENT
100% worth every penny i spent
^ well if it necessitates capital letters, it must be good...

EDIT: (to pifty). yeah, that's what i thought. some of the korean ones are alright, some are a bit dodgy. but generally as far as ibanez goes, indonesian is o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think most, if not all, sub-Prestige RGs are Indonesian now. They used to be Cort-made, but not anymore. Now Cort only makes Sabers and maybe Korean signatures...
I've heard the D' Activator pickups before and they sound good if you ask me.
Look up the Guitar World review video on this guitar.
Quote by pifty
Xiphos is Indonesian.

but played like a MIJ to me

the shop set it up well and i went mental on the trem, gave that thing hell and it stayed in tune. felt a little like my rg, but the neck was a TAD stickier..not mad sticky..but ...slightly.
nothing that 10 hours f playing wouldnt buff...
srsly.
Quote by godofshred

the shop set it up well and i went mental on the trem, gave that thing hell and it stayed in tune. felt a little like my rg, but the neck was a TAD stickier..not mad sticky..but ...slightly.
srsly.

It's a pretty expensive offering. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it more attention than to the other stuff on the factory. The V-Blades I looked at were pretty tight too - and they're also Indonesian.
All I can say is that i played one at my local shop and by God it felt just as good as a prestige. the sound was perfect and the setup was amazing. I didnt get to try the trem but i have tried III's before and they feal amazing but they will wear out . None the less i am SO buying one!!
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by jetfuel495
get the vbt700 instead. no messy trem to mess with, and its a v shape

+1012381725809172049712509712309481230951732049217359017290

V Blade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xiphos.
the V Blade just owns the Xiphos in every aspect....simple as that
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
+1012381725809172049712509712309481230951732049217359017290

V Blade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xiphos.
the V Blade just owns the Xiphos in every aspect....simple as that

The V Blade is nice too, but it has been discontinued so it's harder to get than the Xiphos (if you really want one, you'll find one, but it's not as easy to try the V blade before you buy it as it is with the Xiphos).

Quality wise the two are identical. The main difference is in the shape and the bridge (the Edge III has been covered quite extensively in this thread so I won't go on and on about it)
Quote by pifty
I think most, if not all, sub-Prestige RGs are Indonesian now. They used to be Cort-made, but not anymore. Now Cort only makes Sabers and maybe Korean signatures...

oh ok. now you mention it, i haven't tried a non-MIJ rg in ages.

Quote by godofshred

srsly.

that's possible, as pifty says it is a good bit more expensive... i mean it's not where it's made that affects the quality, more that generally they make things in indonesia and similar places when they're trying to save money, so they also skimp on parts etc. etc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by edwardthegreat5

Have you even ever bought a guitar with an Edge III? If not, don' talk about it, because you're wrong. I bought my Xiphos a few months ago, and even with fairly common whammy use, the trem is still great.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Man, the edge III really isn't as bad as people make it out to be! I hear that in the newer models, they have used better knife edges that don't wear out as fast as the older ones, now if everyone here could get their heads out of their asses for at least a little bit, they might see that it's not anywhere near as bad as they're saying!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by pifty
I was surprised to see that my RG was made in Indonesia.
Quote by mcw00t
Man, the edge III really isn't as bad as people make it out to be! I hear that in the newer models, they have used better knife edges that don't wear out as fast as the older ones, now if everyone here could get their heads out of their asses for at least a little bit, they might see that it's not anywhere near as bad as they're saying!

I heard that as well, that in 2006 they started to use harder metal for the Knife Edges, because thats what always went wrong.
Quote by FRDesign
I was surprised to see that my RG was made in Indonesia.

Ibanez uses many different factories located in fancy countries like Indonesia and Korea and has been doing that for quite some time now.

By the way, have you ever considered using the edit button? The occasional double post can happen every once in a while, but a triple post is a bit too much.
depending on your browser/computer, if you edit a post which has a quote in it, it can crash. Not saying that's why FR triple posted, but it's why I double and triple post a lot...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Every time Dave edits a post, a car bomb goes off.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
so that's what's wrong...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pifty
It's a pretty expensive offering. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it more attention than to the other stuff on the factory. The V-Blades I looked at were pretty tight too - and they're also Indonesian.

seriously, if the necks were the same profile with no paint, i'd say it would play like one.

although, the edge III flutter isnt a patch on the pro.
Page 1 of 2