Hi,
Ok Ive been reading this forum for some time and have gathered alot of info but still cant decide(im one of those people). Im looking at the Engl Powerball because it needs to be good for metal, have a decent clean and be fairly versatile.

Ive looked at lots of other possibilitys such as Framus cobra, Blackmore, Laney and any other amps for around £1000(head only) but still keep coming back to the powerball. I was looking at the Laney Vh100r but still think the powerball would be better in looks and tone what im after, also ive heard the vh100r is really noisy.

I was thinking of getting the powerball with a framus cobra cab. Im also wanting views on the speakers in the cab(greenbacks I think) Ive heard they are more woody so though they would be good with the powerball to counteract the so called compressed sound. Its for mainly metal tone and clean with also options to do blues and rock.

If I need a good blues tone or rock tone could I just put a overdrive pedal in the clean and get a good result?

Any advice would be very helpfull
Thanks
ever thought of using a Marshall? Fantastic make..
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Yea but I dont really want one, just personal preference. I like the Engl tone more and as i forgot to say its for metal such as Cob, In flames, Opeth, Metallica, Killswitch, Machine head etc.
ah.. i'm more of a rock n roll, guns n roses guy
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
ever thought of using a Marshall? Fantastic make..

Your one isnt.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ you own a really pathetic marshall. and guitars that cost atleast 5 times that of the amp
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Vauxite
ah.. i'm more of a rock n roll, guns n roses guy

I like all that aswell but play mainly what I mentioned so thanks anyway
Peavey JSX is also worth a look but to be honest I think the powerball is the best suited

the ENGL savage is a £200 stretch but maybe look for one used? it'd be supoib
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
Peavey JSX is also worth a look but to be honest I think the powerball is the best suited

Yea I had that in my mind for a while because of the amazing crunch and clean but the distortion is too smooth for my liking from what Ive heard, also I believe peavey isn't as good a value over here in Europe(Scotland)

Ive looked at the Savage but heard its very noisy at high gain and also is a little bit pushing my current budget (£1500) for head and cab. Is it as good for modern metal and fast playing as the powerball?
Last edited by Beerguzzler at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by Yngwi3
Your one isnt.

I said marshall was a fantastic make, i didnt say my amp was fantastic..

it came with my first guitar.. can't expect me to have a £1000 marshall stack in my first 2 years...
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
well you have a gibson and fender strat, that'd be somwhere over £1000 anyway, that'd get you a used JCM800 easily
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
It's not, theyre copies, my friend thought it made me look cooler.. -.- i haven't thought of changing it..
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=Rockkit

Im guessing this his his special edition "fender"?
Lawlz.

I wouldnt say marshall are a fantastic make, overpriced, overrated and average quality prehaps. But not fantastic.

Anyway, i just hate when people call there cheap knock offs gibsons or fenders, my friend constantly refers to his Encore strat as a fender, i just want to smack him with it.

ANywya I have nothing else to contribute.
dude, i changed my sig before you posted that...

my friend made my account,, thats why i have the retarded screen name.. and he thought putting that would make me sound better.. haven't we already established this?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
what type of metal?

what rough percentages of metal, cleans, and blues and rock will you be playing (and could you narrow those genres down slightly)?

what's your current rig?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im not a "dude" and no you didnt change it before i posted it, and seeing as your "friend" made your account last year in april why have you only now just decided to change your sig when somone brought it up. I mean jesus christ, I wasnt even digging at you, no need to make up aload of bull****.
no lol, seriously it's true, i've changed it now.. happy?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Well to be honest I play most genres of metal but mainly thrash, 80s, power, modern etc. Anything with good guitar playing. I find it hard to pinpoint the genres because most music with guitar inspires me.

I would say that clean and metal playing is about 80% and the rest blues, classic rock and any other type

My current amp is unfortunatly a spider 2 120. My guitars are a custom warmoth v 81/89 and a Ibanez sz320mh 81/85

hope that makes sense
well hey, who cares about my amp..

blah..
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Beerguzzler
Well to be honest I play most genres of metal but mainly thrash, 80s, power, modern etc. Anything with good guitar playing. I find it hard to pinpoint the genres because most music with guitar inspires me.

I would say that clean and metal playing is about 80% and the rest blues, classic rock and any other type

My current amp is unfortunatly a spider 2 120. My guitars are a custom warmoth v 81/89 and a Ibanez sz320mh 81/85

hope that makes sense

powerball might be best for that, but it wouldn't hurt to try as many different engls as you can... and also check out some other brands, brunetti xlr-evo, koch multitone/powertone, laney vh100r you already mentioned, etc. etc.

you have a bunch of options at your pricerange, you might as well try everything you can...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
powerball might be best for that, but it wouldn't hurt to try as many different engls as you can... and also check out some other brands, brunetti xlr-evo, koch multitone/powertone, laney vh100r you already mentioned, etc. etc.

you have a bunch of options at your pricerange, you might as well try everything you can...

Thanks, Im off to glasgow soon so i'll be able to try some amps in guitarguitar. Unfortunatly there isnt many places to try decent amps out so im going by mainly advice, soundclips and reviews.

Ill look into them amps aswell

Any thoughts on the cab?
i'm not too great on cabs to be honest... vintage 30's do tend to work pretty well with engls.

guitar guitar is badass, at least the edinburgh one is. i hear the glasgow one's even better.

might as well try the vht deliverance while you're there, and a couple of bogners. just to see.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not too great on cabs to be honest... vintage 30's do tend to work pretty well with engls.

guitar guitar is badass, at least the edinburgh one is. i hear the glasgow one's even better.

might as well try the vht deliverance while you're there, and a couple of bogners. just to see.

Cool, sounds like i'll be in there all day Unfortunatly the other main amp i was looking at, the vh100r isnt stocked there

Dont think i'll be able to afford any Bogners though
yeah, the shiva is just about at your upper range i think, and it's more a hot-rodded marshall...

i thinkthe edinburgh one had a vh100r, but don't quote me. plus it could be sold by now at any rate...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the shiva is just about at your upper range i think, and it's more a hot-rodded marshall...

i thinkthe edinburgh one had a vh100r, but don't quote me. plus it could be sold by now at any rate...

guitar guitar edinburgh dont stock laneys..rikkis music in leith edinburgh do. they also dont do the deliverance just the pubster. buggers dont have the uberschall either.
wtf? they had a bunch of laneys last time i was there, i thought (about 2 months ago)... EDIT: they had the deliverance there last time I was in too. Of course stock etc. changes...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?