I've read numerous other threads, but I'd like a "customized" response .

Well, I think the title says it all... I am looking for a good starter guitar and amp. My budget is €500 for both (EUR, if you aren't using unicode).

I'd like an all-rounder. Since I'm in the early stages of learning, I might switch styles often. Tremolos are not necessary. Please recommend shops that ship to Portugal.

I've been thinking of the following:
Squier Telecaster
Epiphone LP studio/standard
Dean Evo XM
Yamaha Pacifica 200

Please suggest more and comment on those

See y'all later
That's quite a budget for a beginner... anyway, an Epiphone LP Standard or a Fender MIM strat with a Vox Valvetronix of some sort would be a good choice...
That's €500 for guitar + amp, not €500 for guitar and €500 for the amp.
I know you've said an all-rounder, but do you veer more towards heavier styles (e.g. metal, hard rock) or lighter styles? what are your favourite bands and players?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ I know that...

500 euro is equal to about 700 US so, a MIM fender is 400 US and a Vox AD30VT is 250 US.
Man, I can't really answer that. Better, I can, but it won't be conclusive, I like both metal (Children of Bodom, Metallica, etc) and lighter stuff (Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, etc).
For the guitar I can recomend you the Ibanez GAX70, thats what i have since i started, 2yrs ago. In the usa they sell it for 200$ so probably 170 EUR.
Epiphone LP Standard would be great for a beginner! For the amp I would suggest an SS one, either one of the Roland Cube series or the Vox Valvetronix series.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30-1x10-30W-with-COSM-and-EFX-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480023

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD30VT

(Oh yeah, and both of them come in softer and louder versions, just in case you're wondering)
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
TS, All the guitars you mentioned are pretty versatile and with one of the amps TheReFiller mentioned you'd be set...
OK people, I gotta leave now, but I'll see your suggestions tomorrow. Keep postin'!

See you all...
Quote by T!AN
^^ I know that...

500 euro is equal to about 700 US so, a MIM fender is 400 US and a Vox AD30VT is 250 US.

it's not in europe though. in europe a mexi strat or tele is more like $600, and that's if you get a good deal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MiN3R
Man, I can't really answer that. Better, I can, but it won't be conclusive, I like both metal (Children of Bodom, Metallica, etc) and lighter stuff (Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, etc).

ok. I'm guessing something like a roland cube 30, or vox ad15vt (generally, the cube will cope with the metal stuff better, while the vox will do the cleaner stuff better- i'd probably go with the cube to be honest), and maybe a yamaha pacifica 112?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's not in europe though. in europe a mexi strat or tele is more like $600, and that's if you get a good deal.

oic... ouch

<obvious>that sucks...</obvious>
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's why:

Japan > USA > Canada > UK > Australia

EDIT: British union flag causes the price to rise. Damn...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

^^ yep, basically. our only real consolation is at least we don't get gipped as bad as the aussies...

^ yeah, but that's about it. and the things we get cheaper, we get slightly cheaper. whereas you get mesas for less than half-price, compared to us...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you actually get engls as cheap as we do. since the dollar went south anyway. and again, we don't get marshalls etc. as much cheaper as you get mesa, soldano, etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But we have the 3p1c washburn x50pro

Who needs mesa...

Washburn x50pro + laney GH100L WTF!

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Well, technically, no, if you go by conversion rates, like 2 USD is 1 quid roughly...But I don't know, shelling out something like 400-500 quid on a DSL401 sounds a lot better than like 1000-1100 on it. I mean, yeah, exchange rates aside...It's still a lot of money we have to work towards. Then again, I don't know how wages for the average musician are in the UK.

EDIT: ENGLs are the same-ish, though? Hmm...
we have to pay $6000 for a roadking. we lose.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you guys think of the Line 6 Spider III amp?

Also, Fender Standard Strat vs. Epiphone LP Studio/Standard?
most of us aren't too fussed on the spider... it's actually alright if you're only practicing, but from what i hear, the tone goes to crap if you turn it up (e.g. band practices).

fender strat will have cleaner tones, epi will have dirtier and fatter. however, an HSS fat strat could be a good compromise for some of each.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/es_ES/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=GIT0000011-003&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList

Is this the one you are talking about?

By the way, Spider III vs. Roland m-cube? Recommend others in this price range if you'd like. Thanks.

EDIT: The 15 watt versions of both
Last edited by MiN3R at Oct 9, 2007,
^ yep. should be available with a maple board instead, if you'd prefer that. should be a colour choice too.

by m-cube you mean microcube, right? the microcube is really good fun- if you're only using it for home practice, it's good value, and has a wide range of tones (though it does tend towards heavier tones). plus the fact it can be used on batteries means it can be useful even if you upgrade to a bigger amp. you could play it in your garden or something...

EDIT: oh i realise what you mean now. The 15 watt cube sucks (as does the 20 watter) as it doesn't have the amp models- the cube is good for high gain, but you need to go for either the microcube or 30 watt cube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm sorry, I didn't understand one part: The microcube is good, but the 15 watt cube sucks?

Which one should I get, the microcube or the spider III? Its for practice at home only.
Quote by MiN3R
(a) I'm sorry, I didn't understand one part: The microcube is good, but the 15 watt cube sucks?

Which one should I get, the microcube or the spider III? Its for practice at home only.

(a) yep, basically.

(b) i'd be inclined to go with the microcube, but it's best if you can try both to see which you prefer. if it's only for home practice, the spider is alright too- the main complaint is that it sounds more and more digital the more you turn it up, which isn't really much of an issue for home practice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well if you have 500 euro (and you do) you can do better than a starter pack. you can get a good practice modelling amp, and a guitar that, if you're lucky, you won't grow out of down the line (with a few judicious upgrades, such as pickups, later on)... apart from anything, the guys who make the good starter guitars rarely make the good starter amps, and vice-versa...

which you might as well get, if you ask me. as long as you know there's a reasonable chance that you'll stick with it...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
look if i were you id get a hagstorm f-301 for 300 bucks and then get the roland cube30 for 250 i think it is

or the valvetronix amps are good to
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ yep, basically. our only real consolation is at least we don't get gipped as bad as the aussies...

I can get a DSL50, DSL100 or TSL100 for the same price I can get a Peavey Windsor Head here. Now thats screwed up.
that is a bit crazy. even here those marshalls are a bit dearer than the windsor...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
olá...

eu comprei um pack na musicstore...

Epiphone special II + crate 15w..

Para iniciar... nao acho que tenha sido ma compra ate pq nao foi mt caro (211€ na altura...) e a guitarra apesar de ser um coto rasquita, (ja tem 1 ano), aguenta se bem ...

com isto poupavas +/-300€ o que te dava maior poder de compra para uma proxima..

aconselho ta se começaste agora a aprender...

cumps