Convince yourself not to hate it. Put some though into what you write. Just do anything to assure yourself it doesn't suck and you won't hate everything you write anymore.
This is a signature. Enjoy it.

Quote by wtf is wtf
The worst band i ever heard was The Search Bar.
Quote by stringmagician
How can I help that?

I'm feeling you here. I have the same problem here, atm. I feel like everything I write is immature, blunt, and tasteless. Hence why I don't post pieces up anymore. I feel like I can have an objective view on writings - I have sufficient literary knowledge to do so- , but when I get to evaluate everything I've ever written it seems ridiculous to me.

It's not the first time it happens though. Last time, I got through this by writing a whole lot. Starting with descriptive writing. Like, I chose an object around me or something, and tried to describe it in the most eloquent way, or the most precise way, or within certain other parameters. It's exercise, like weight training, but for writing.

I eventually got through it this way. However, now, I don't have the time to do so anymore, as I recently got myself a job, and am pretty busy in life in general. So yeah, I'll pretty much add to threadstarter's post :

Anyone got tips to get over this?
Quote by #1 synth
find god.
fall in love.
and then cut yourself loose again.

Okay mr. poet

more advice, less sounding nice?

Everyone is sympathizing with me as opposed to giving me answers, but at least I'm not alone
Well, you could first off quit bitching about you not liking your writing and actually spend some time with it, identifying why you don't like it. Then you fix it. Start to think more when you write, plan more, chose every word more carefully. Don't ask us for help on how to improve your writing without us knowing what it's like. Just post some we might crit it in exchange for the same favour and tell you what's wrong.

You don't like it it because you find it's not good. Make it good. That's all there is to it.
Quote by stringmagician
How can I help that?

You can't.

We'll a little but not completely. You will always be more critical of your own work.

Why? Because YOU know what you were trying to accomplish with it.
YOU know exactly the sorts of nuances you had hoped for it,
but couldn't quite accomplish.
YOU know everything you wanted to convey, but either couldn't include,
or got so verbose doing so that you spoiled the flow.

As you gain skills as a writer, your work will get closer to what you envision for it.
But you will still hate everything you write.

Disclaimer:

This is just a theory. I really wouldn't know for certain. Every thing I write sucks.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by confusius

You don't like it it because you find it's not good. Make it good. That's all there is to it.

Well, thank god you told me that, now I can work on it

Thank you SomeoneYouKnew, you made sense and helped me and a lot of other people in this thread.

And if anyone has any more info, it's less my subject matter than it is my words, but I'm not a big fan of either

If you'd like I could put something on here if I find anything in my notebokk
if you actually want some advice (though the advice I posted earlier was sincere and your response made you sound completely immature), read. Read, then find writers you like, then steal from them.

I like Matt, Matt writes good poetry, I have stolen his theory surrounding line breaks and have utilized it in some of my pieces. Does that make me a thief? Yes, definitely. Does that make me a better and happier writer because I'm better able to articulate what I mean in a more interesting and informative way? Also, yes.

Writing is theft and revision, but in your case, all you should do is read. Alot.
I am aware that your advice was sincere, it just seemed like you were more concerned about making your words look pleasing and clever, and not as much keeping them informative.

I'll start reading all the threads in the Lyrics section of UG like I used to, and maybe I'll post some of my own again eventually. Thank you for the help this time around.
Quote by stringmagician
I am aware that your advice was sincere, it just seemed like you were more concerned about making your words look pleasing and clever, and not as much keeping them informative.

I'll start reading all the threads in the Lyrics section of UG like I used to, and maybe I'll post some of my own again eventually. Thank you for the help this time around.

Holy shit! I think you just called him a poet.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Write something you know you're going to absolutely despise. Then write why you hate it. Then write the opposite. Then write why you hate it (if you do).

Compare/contrast.

Holla back if it works.
CALIBRATE THE VIRUS

lolwut?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Holy shit! I think you just called him a poet.

He is a poet! The stuff I read from Synth back when I used to lurk these boards was the best UG had ever seen! But even a poet should know they need to tone down their creative genius sometimes.

and that's an interesting theory Drewcifer, maybe I'll try it out
Quote by stringmagician
Well, thank god you told me that, now I can work on it

Dude, you seriously need to start taking advice more seriously and cut out the sarcasm. I was being serious and even thought it looked like I was stating the obvious, I wasn't. Nobody likes their writing and everyone needs to improve it. Sitting around here waiting for someone to tell you how to write isn't going to help. You have to take the initiative yourself, you have to write more and more as to improve more. Writing one piece and whining over it for a few days won't make it or your writing better.

I also stand by my statement that without physical work, it's hard to tell you where to improve, which is the area you probably dislike.

Quote by stringmagician
How can I help that?

I know how you feel, and I'm pretty sure everybody who has ever written anything in their life. They don't really like what the start out doing. All you gotta do is show it to other people, people you can trust, they can help you. Not just with the quality of your material, but in the hatred against your work. When you start to realize that other people like it, you get to thinking that it really is good, and you accept it for that.

Like me, I always thought my voice sucked. But when I sang, my bandmates were like "that's pretty good" and they keep telling me I'm getting better. I still don't like my voice, but I know it's good.

Just my 2 cents from my experience. Good luck with writing.
Quote by confusius
Dude, you seriously need to start taking advice more seriously and cut out the sarcasm. I was being serious and even thought it looked like I was stating the obvious, I wasn't. Nobody likes their writing and everyone needs to improve it. Sitting around here waiting for someone to tell you how to write isn't going to help. You have to take the initiative yourself, you have to write more and more as to improve more. Writing one piece and whining over it for a few days won't make it or your writing better.

I also stand by my statement that without physical work, it's hard to tell you where to improve, which is the area you probably dislike.

I do appreciate that you're trying to help me, it was just that most of your first post told me to "make it better" and "quite bitching". I asked a question about how to work on liking my writing more and that's what I got from you the first time, that's why I gave you a sarcastic comment back
Quote by stringmagician
How can I help that?

You'll get over it eventually. I used to hate everything that I wrote. It all sounded like ****ty emo poetry, but once you find your niche, you'll be sweet
i agree with someoneyouknew. because everyone is over critical of their own work, they never like what they have done. and this is because they know what they wanted to do, and when it doesnt look exactly like what they have done, they dont like their work. even if everyone else likes it.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by stringmagician
Thank you, Mr. Pit Monkey

Lol, Ret, is far from a pit monkey. And I still think that the answer:

"quit bitching"

suffices for this thread. You will never like your writing, that's all there is to it. You can magic yourself into suddenly liking it. I like my writing, I always did, cause I felt like I was doing something good or bad. You have to find something that makes you like it, or, stay disliking it and continue writing.
It's just about reaching your own personal idyll for the piece. If you achieve what you set out to convey then more often than not you'll like the piece. I find if I don't like a piece I go through it with a highlighter and pick words or phrases even sentences that I don't like and re-write them, then eventually you're left with a cohesive piece that you are happy with. Ironically enough it's the pieces I like, nobody else does, but that's the way it goes, I have a very different tastes to the majority on this board so while I am happy with my place I'll never bask in constant adulation, which is fine by me. In short you can't please everybody, and if you're strong enough you should be your own worst critic.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Quote by confusius
Lol, Ret, is far from a pit monkey. And I still think that the answer:

"quit bitching"

suffices for this thread. You will never like your writing, that's all there is to it. You can magic yourself into suddenly liking it. I like my writing, I always did, cause I felt like I was doing something good or bad. You have to find something that makes you like it, or, stay disliking it and continue writing.

Well he was acting like one, and that's enough for me to call him one, I'd say.

And there are many people commenting on this thread with helpful rhetoric about just how TO start liking your own work. I made this thread to help me find something that will make me like my writing, I don't know where you could site me for "bitching" about it.

Just because you love everything you write doesn't mean everyone will. Telling people looking for help in liking their writing to "just like their writing already" isn't helping anyone, it's just getting us into a pointless arguement.
What do you want us to give you? A magic potion? There is no special formula/method/whatever to make you like your writing. You either like it or you don't.

I despise white chocolate, nothing is going to make me like it. Same story here, you might despise your writing, and if you can never find anything in it that you like you are going to dislike it forever. There is nothing we can do to help you like your writing, you just have to suck it up, find everything you hate about your writing, fix it, and hopefully you will start to like it more. Posting in this thread, trying to find away around our advice isn't going to help you improve your writing, which is what you probably want to do. I mean, who wouldn't?
Here's your problem, you're just too cynical, the majority of great writers dislike their work, this is because some feel as though they will never match a certain hero of theirs. Dostoevsky disliked everything he wrote because he said he'd never be as strong a writer as Tolstoy was, others perceive that by liking their own work, others will too.

You it seems fill the latter quota. Firstly ask yourself why you need to like it? For what purpose? It's not going to help you get published, and believe me they will destroy your soul. So is it a confidence issue? That you have to overcome yourself, that is your mind telling you it is bad and you need to make it better, all we can do here to help is tear it to shreds and let you pick up the pieces.

The strange thing with this thread is that you are asking for a solution to a problem that only you can answer, if you don't like your work, write something different, try a new style, then only then, after a long time writing will you find your niche and be happy in that niche, hence why I like it when I crack out my vocabulary, it took me at least 3 years of different styles to accomplish this and still I am not fully satisfied my writing reaches the audience how I'd like it to, the solution? I tone it down a little. All you have to do is continue writing until you find something you are happy with, which is perfectly correct, and what everyone has been saying all along.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Quote by confusius

You will never like your writing, that's all there is to it.

disagree

Quote by confusius
]You have to find something that makes you like it

agree.

Do NOT continue writing as you have been. Try something completely new. Write about something simple or something complex or something in the middle. You need to find your inspiration. You need to find something you are good at. Some people try to hard to use big words or clever syntax and it just turns out forced. If you think of a line or an idea that you can connect with and sounds natural, start from there. Don't write because you think you have to, write because you want to.

Just something to think about.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by The Hurt Within
Here's your problem, you're just too cynical, the majority of great writers dislike their work, this is because some feel as though they will never match a certain hero of theirs. Dostoevsky disliked everything he wrote because he said he'd never be as strong a writer as Tolstoy was, others perceive that by liking their own work, others will too.

You it seems fill the latter quota. Firstly ask yourself why you need to like it? For what purpose? It's not going to help you get published, and believe me they will destroy your soul. So is it a confidence issue? That you have to overcome yourself, that is your mind telling you it is bad and you need to make it better, all we can do here to help is tear it to shreds and let you pick up the pieces.

The strange thing with this thread is that you are asking for a solution to a problem that only you can answer, if you don't like your work, write something different, try a new style, then only then, after a long time writing will you find your niche and be happy in that niche, hence why I like it when I crack out my vocabulary, it took me at least 3 years of different styles to accomplish this and still I am not fully satisfied my writing reaches the audience how I'd like it to, the solution? I tone it down a little. All you have to do is continue writing until you find something you are happy with, which is perfectly correct, and what everyone has been saying all along.

Thank you, I can definately identify with the Dostoevsky reference.

And Confuscious, again, I'M NOT ASKING FOR A SUPER POTION. YOUR'S is the only advice that I am contending because you keep saying I must either like my writing or hate it. I disagree with that because poetry and prose are NOT like white chocolate (which I also hate), which is a static, unchanging subject.

If all your going to do is recycle your first post that I disagreed with, then STOP ARGUING WITH ME. I understand your point, but I don't agree with you, and you probably won't make me.
Quote by stringmagician
I understand your point, but I don't agree with you, and you probably won't make me.

I think we got the most out of this.

You're asking for opinions and suggestions, but then you bitch about the ones you disagree with. Get over yourself. Period.

If you think we can't help you, don't ask for advice here.