Is it okay to go a day or two every so often where I don't practice? I want to be the best musician possible, but somedays I just can't "feel it". Like today I practiced a good 3 hours, but the whole time it didn't feel like I was really into the practice. Just kind of going through the motions, if you will. I know that practice is as mental as physical, so is it okay to take days like that off? Or should I just suck it up and keep practicing? I normally love practicing so this isn't a very common experience. still thoguh, I'd like your opinions.
it's perfectly fine to take off one or two days but if you don't play for a week or so you will feel really weird.

It is perfectly alright to take days off when your not in the mood.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Is it okay to go a day or two every so often where I don't practice? I want to be the best musician possible, but somedays I just can't "feel it". Like today I practiced a good 3 hours, but the whole time it didn't feel like I was really into the practice. Just kind of going through the motions, if you will. I know that practice is as mental as physical, so is it okay to take days like that off? Or should I just suck it up and keep practicing? I normally love practicing so this isn't a very common experience. still thoguh, I'd like your opinions.

If you don't practice just jam and play or something.
I haven't practiced technique seriously in months and i haven't gotten any worse, since i'll mess around for a couple of hours.
I haven't gotten much better technique wise though.
Quote by that1l)ude
If you don't practice just jam and play or something.
I haven't practiced technique seriously in months and i haven't gotten any worse, since i'll mess around for a couple of hours.
I haven't gotten much better technique wise though.

yeah, i love jamming out. that's pretty much how i got to the point i am now, though i've started working on more technique stuff.
i get those every 2-3 weeks, i take a friday off, and dont practice at all, then just do improv for saturday and sunday, and by monday im ready to go again
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
I've read a bunch of articles on the topic of correct practice and every one of them recomended having 1 day a week where you dont play so you dont burn yourself out.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
yeah, i love jamming out. that's pretty much how i got to the point i am now, though i've started working on more technique stuff.

once you get to a certain point your not gonna get any better by just "jamming out".
You need to study music theory and work on your technique to get any better once you get there, which you probably have.
Quote by that1l)ude
once you get to a certain point your not gonna get any better by just "jamming out".
You need to study music theory and work on your technique to get any better once you get there, which you probably have.

oh yeah I definitely agree, and that's what I do.

The idea is to eventually be so good that you can play without thinking about it. Kind of like meditating.

yeah that's true. I guess I've seen improving as a destination, when in reality improving is just part of the journey. thanks for the replies :-)
Yeah, one of the main reasons I practice is to learn to "be in the moment". Playing
music gives you a good feedback on it because you have to be to play well.
A meditative state is a good description of being in the zone.

Days off don't hurt. Generally, if I'm not that much in the mood I'll do something
that doesn't require too much thinking. Like just memorizing stuff.
if im not in the mood ill also just go on like piano and mess around for a while, that seems to help
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
i normally take a break for a day or two after my band has a gig. And i randomly take breaks from practicing guitar alot, to practicing singing alot, to writing lyrics alot. I'm never doing alot of all of them.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I don't know if I ever really 'practice'. I mean, I don't put myself in that mindset anyway. Playing guitar, piano, singing, etc. is just something I like doing, and so any chance I get I do it.

By all means you should go over techniques, or whatever you're working on, but why does it have to be 'practice' in your mind?
Quote by Retribution
I don't know if I ever really 'practice'. I mean, I don't put myself in that mindset anyway. Playing guitar, piano, singing, etc. is just something I like doing, and so any chance I get I do it.

By all means you should go over techniques, or whatever you're working on, but why does it have to be 'practice' in your mind?

because that's what it is? i don't view practice as a bad thing. It is work, definitely, but work isn't necessarily a bad thing either.
I stopped "practicing" a while back... I don't mean to say that I'm "all that" or anything, but I just got to the point where I'd rather figure out a song on the radio than sit down and practice my two handed tapping for thirty minutes. Seriously, I've come to the point where I know what I play, I know what I want to play and I don't really think about it all that much. I'll figure out songs that I like, by artists that I like... and if I find it challenging I'll practice that section or riff or technique for a couple days or so till it's down... then it's on to another song... It's been a good long while (maybe two years or so) since I sat down with my Music Theory books and actually invested thought into my playing... meh... I have a long way to go... I find that much of what Nuno Bettencourt plays is quite challenging, that playing any song by Frank Gambal all too difficult (mostly because he has SO MUCH taste, while playing)... and... man... I play DeathMetal and HardCore... I love it... but musically, it isn't challenging to figure out a Korn song... a American HeadCharge song... a Cannibal Corpse or even Slipknot song... they are SIMPLE... now Necrophagist was a challenge... but I pulled through it with time and effort... so... dude... just listen... really LISTEN and figure it out.
resting is also a part of practice... it makes you get that eager feeling again..
IMO while resting watch an awsome guitar playing so that it will inspire you.. or maybe read some theories and scales.. that's what i do and it works fine.. but sometimes i also get that feeling that im not good and stuff.. but when i feel excited to play it seems that all the things ive learned come out.. and for a moment i thought that i was supprised that i could play that good... its kinda weird tho.. i dunno if its the same with you guys but when you really get that feeling that your gonna play in front of people it suddenly comes out good. but when your practicing it seems like you don't feel like playing and stuff.. maybe its because your thinking that its just practice so you feel that way.. but anyhow when i do feel like that i give it a rest.. watch something awsome(impressive playing) or listen to something.. then after sometime you'll have that feeling that your not good and stuff then there comes your eagerness to surpass someone... like a goal or something.. the point is to get yourself not to lose interest in playing.. thats why you need rest or so... because doing the same thing over and over gets you bored... so sometimes i like to listen to something and hum a solo over it... LAWL i know it kinda sounds stupid but.. its like a mental practice for doing solos.. then when you get the urge to play try to play what you humed... but if your really suck then give it a rest because maybe your're so worried about how you play or so frustrated that you can't play something... but ive noticed that when im relaxed (physically and mentally) i can play anything that im willing to learn... and sometimes your defence mech (psychologically speaking) also makes you better... like someone is better than you and it feels like you suck and so you practice and practice to a point that you surpass the one better than you... but the real obstacle there was yourself... but anyway just take your time in playing because music has also rests(whole rest,half rest-musically speaking) thus we say that playing is about timing.. sometimes when you rush things it doesnt come out good.. but when you FEEL it then it comes out perfect.. so just cleanse your mind take a break and then practice when you feel like it
tilet lickin' gd
I realized that what i practice, singing/lyrics/guitar, depends on what i happen to be listening to at the time. My 3 favorite bands are Dream Theater/Dispatch/The Used. So if i'm listening to Dream Theater i'm generally working on my Guitar, or sometimes singing. If i'm listening to dispatch, its lyrics/singing, if The used, its lyrics/screaming.

Anyone else do this?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!